Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   I Want To Play American Football... (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11174)

Hazzard 09-20-2012 05:08 PM

I Want To Play American Football...

Yep, title of the thread says it all: next season (around Spring over here) I want to start playing American football (or just 'football' to most of you guys). We have a local team around here called the Berkshire Renegades and they seem pretty successful and well-run (especially considering the size of the sport in this country) so I'm planning on going to their rookie day that they host towards the end of the year, or the beginning of the next one.

You guys know a HELL of a lot more about the sport than I do, so I would really appreciate any advice in regards to what I'm getting myself into. Position wise, I'm thinking D-Line, but I'd love to eventually move to linebacker once I've learnt the sport, got fitter and faster, and lost some weight. But for now I think battering into dudes sounds like fun.

So basically I've got two main questions:
What general training should I focus on to prepare myself for starting the sport? A friend of mine and I are starting a 'Power Saturday' where we lift, throw, run, etc, but is there anything you guys can think of that would be extremely beneficial, training wise?

Secondly, I have a rough idea as to how the sport works, but could any of you give me advice in playing D-line, what to expect, and all that jazz?

Thank you all. :)

EDIT: Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!

Goat 09-20-2012 06:47 PM

I can offer nothing but encouragement. I look forward to hearing more. Tear it up.

RobMoriRB 09-20-2012 06:55 PM

from what I gather your about 5-9 to 5-10 roughly about 240ish, so right now your sitting at a Defensive End.

exercise you should add are
any explosive work
any strength work

for footwork I can video tape tomorrow the footwork for pass and run and go through technical work

ricka182 09-20-2012 08:12 PM

I would suggest full body for overall strength and conditioning, alternating with plyometrics for explosion off the line. Also, quickness and agility, like running through tires or laid out rope courses, out and backs, cuts and spins without falling down, etc..

As for what position, it is based on your size. LBs are usually pretty big dudes, between 6'2 to 6'5, 240-275 pounds. DEs make plenty of big hits, usually closer to the line of scrimage. LBs are all over the place, and speed counts a lot for them. What is your current height and weight?

RobMoriRB 09-20-2012 08:20 PM

The best work out University find that works is kinda like the westside....For example one chest day would be kind of a 5x10 on bench then go to a 7x5 to a 3x3 then a 1x1 goes the same for squat and dead

Jen 09-20-2012 08:38 PM

I believe JB is the resident expert around here.

I am excited for you! Very cool!

Mr.Silverback 09-20-2012 08:44 PM

Awesome hazz, I played a Lil bit but was better skilled at basketball...lmbo

big valsalva 09-20-2012 11:15 PM

Once you get the knack of bashing into blokes as a defensive lineman, you'll want nothing to do with linebacker. Line play is where its at! That's very good news, Hazzard. I'm glad to hear you're taking the plunge. I wish you well.

J_Byrd 09-21-2012 07:23 AM

There are a lot of things we can do to start preparing. Lots of plyometrics, cleans and variations, foot work drills. You already have a very strong base, and that will carry you a long way. We just have to make sure you have great hip flexibility, and can violently rotate your hips from front to back!

Defensive line is all about having quick feet, hands, and leverage. Depending on what scheme the team runs will dictate responsibilities for you. Generally speaking, you will only ever want to attack half a man, with tight hands.

As far as being a Dend and eventually a LB. Depending on what front you are in, the DEND, could very well be playing LB based on responsibilities. There are lots of unknowns in that part, so lets just work on the athletic part for now as we find out what you will be doing.

For now lets start working in some cleans, Ill try to pull together some videos of basic footwork stuff you can be doing.

As for plyos, I like anything that his hoping and bounding. If you have somewhere to do box jumps, those are great as well.

5kgLifter 09-21-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazzard (Post 278460)
I want to start playing American football

Thank you all. :)

EDIT: Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!

Traitor! :thefinger:

j/k, wouldn't mind having a bash at that myself :rockon: