Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
Goat
Max Brawn
Points: 3,004, Level: 33 Points: 3,004, Level: 33 Points: 3,004, Level: 33
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: MEAT
Goat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machine
Default What Judges Do and Must Do Is ... Move the Strike Zone

"Judge Vaughn Walker, the now-retired federal judge in San Francisco who nullified California’s Proposition 8 in 2010, said if judges really are umpires, they must sometimes “move the strike zone” in order to champion social issues like same-sex marriage."

Prop. 8 Judge: 'What Judges Do and Must Do Is ... Move the Strike Zone' | CNSNews.com

Should Judges Apply the laws as written, or be allowed to move the "strike zone"?

Seems this Judge ruled in his own favor. Should his decisions be reviewed and over turned?

Note I don't care about gay marriage, I am in this case simply interested in whether we should allow judicial activism, and what should be done if we don't believe in judicial activism.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country.One is by the sword.The other is by debt. - John Adams
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

The Supreme Court has the authority to "move the strike zone" as they see fit. That's why it is so important to elect a conservative president that will appoint a conservative judges. Maintain our rights are they were originally written.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Tough call. I am very much in favor of "the letter of the Law," but there is so much now that the framers of the Constitution couldn't possibly have seen happening (gay marriages, national health care, abortion, etc.). A lot of it (excuse me for saying this) the government has no business in. I guess if the Constitution is silent on a particular issue, then it should be a non-issue. Am I opposed to gay marriages? Yes, but I am also opposed to an intrusive government. A bit of a predicament. I am not opposed to people living together. There's no law against having a roommate. I don't see the need to expand things.

My opinion on the topic is, the Strike Zone should not be moved, nor should it be expanded.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote