Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Dr. Oz: Obesity & National Security (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11094)

BendtheBar 09-13-2012 01:34 PM

Dr. Oz: Obesity & National Security

Posting this for discussion.

Is obesity our (or any country's) greatest national security threat?

MC 09-13-2012 02:01 PM

1. I doubt that if the show were watched in its entirely that you would see the First Lady saying "Absolutely" directly after that statement. That looked edited to me.

2. I know this is a hot button issue for a lot of people, but I don't see many fit individuals as I travel around for work (and I think I can tell the difference between a big strong man and a big fat man). I feel that, especially with the explosion of video games and 1000s of channels of programmin, that there is, in particular, a generation and a half of men/boys and women/girls who do far more sitting, eating and drinking than ever before.

I wouldn't call this a national security risk, but given that we all pay for each other's health care in one way (higher premiums to cover the uninsured) or another, I don't see how "scaring people" into action is necessarily a bad thing, especially if the end result is more people in better shape.

You'd be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) at how many very obese people in my family or friend's families try to assure themselves around the current state of their health with statements like "I'm big boned." Er, NO.

(the above statements are made outside of the context of silly metrics like BMI)

BendtheBar 09-13-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *MC* (Post 276363)
1. I doubt that if the show were watched in its entirely that you would see the First Lady saying "Absolutely" directly after that statement. That looked edited to me.

I didn't want to toss her into the mix because of this possibility.

Dr. Oz is notorious for saying "interesting" things so I preferred to keep the focus on his statement.

Beverly McD 09-13-2012 02:19 PM

I seem to remember physical education in schools got started in part to get kids ready for military service. (Not a %100 sure about this. I'm old but not that old!)
In a lot of school districts it is no longer a requirement.
I have no clue what the greatest security threat may be for our country, but lack of fitness is a serious problem in a lot of ways. The kids themselves will pay the highest price.

ehubbard 09-13-2012 02:52 PM

This is a new site that started yestreday that hopes to tackle some of these issues with sound science. There are a lot of nutritional rules that not only are common knowledge but are also taught in medical school that may actually be founded on bad science. The 9 part series on cholesterol at the eating academy is very interesting if you have the time.

NuSI

eatingacademy.com

sabbath 09-13-2012 03:47 PM

I do not think that it is our greatest threat. I mean it is a huge threat in so many ways but I would not consider it to be the biggest.

Goat 09-13-2012 05:44 PM

Of course not, your enemies are. Far worse than obesity, how about Drugs, porous boarders, out of balance economy, Crime, terrorism, energy. Oz sounds kind of silly now, the guy is a money grubbing Quack.

begota 09-13-2012 11:18 PM

I realize my 2 cents are worth just that, so take this as you may.

1. Obesity being the GREATEST threat to national security may be far fetched, but it is also getting out of hand and needs to be taken very serious. The best part about it is that it is totally reversible. Although it may not be the number one enemy to this country we should take it very serious.

2. I've always been a fat kid. Never had parents to show me healthy eating, or great exercise habits. I have been able to drop 30 lbs. with ease all throughout my adulthood, but always gain it back. I wish it was easier/cheaper to get whole natural foods for our "busy" lifestyle.

3. Health care is going to continue getting more out of control if problems from obesity continue. (I know not all health problems arise from obesity, but that is off topic).

4. Let us all focus on being healthy and not place blame on corporations for providing unhealthy food products. Eating whole, natural foods, and moderate exercise should be something we all strive for. While we do all this let us not lose focus on our other threats to national security.

in conclusion, I feel we shouldn't number any one thing more important than the other.