Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Anyone else try fasted training? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10828)

IronManlet 08-13-2012 02:14 AM

Anyone else try fasted training?

I used to be extremely skeptical of training in a fasted state due to concerns about energy levels in the gym, but recently I just said "screw it!" and have been giving it a shot to see how it goes.

So far it's been a damn good success - past three sessions have all been good ones. I hit at least 2 PR's and have never felt more aggressive in the gym. It's probably due to a combination of lifestyle changes I have been making recently, but nonetheless it's pretty ****ing awesome to wake up in the morning, grab a cup of coffee, and hit the gym first thing. I feel much more focused.

Fazc 08-13-2012 06:23 AM

Yep, I train fasted on some days if I'm fasting for 24 hours. Like you've experienced it works just fine, you feel alert and focused.

Generally I have an afternoon eating window (2-7) so I do most of my work in the morning while fasted and like you I like the feeling of grabbing a hot drink and getting straight to it.

When I 24 hour fast I tend to fast between 7-7 and that's generally when I train fasted. I'm midway through a 24 hour fast today and will be training later right about when the 24 hours is up!

LtL 08-13-2012 07:06 AM

When I train on the weekend it is usually fasted. With the carb backloading I generally have enough calories in my system from the night before to power me through coupled with my pre-WO and coffee. I generally feel better doing this than I used to eating a carb-laden breakfast.

Al

BendtheBar 08-13-2012 08:00 AM

I've trained fasted for about 4.5 years now. During the week when I train I do so without having eaten for 18+ hours.

There are no energy issues for me. I actually feel better during the day because I don't have foo in my stomach slogging me down and making me feel sluggish.

Ori Hofmekler refers to this daily alertness in his book. It's been a while since I read it, but the concept was that we are wired to stay alert and focused until we secure the kill (food).

emekajokammor 08-13-2012 08:14 AM

I've been interested in fasted training for a while now. As a bber, my main concern is how would it affect my muscle gains.

Does fasted training help or hurt muscle growth?

BendtheBar 08-13-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emekajokammor (Post 267870)
I've been interested in fasted training for a while now. As a bber, my main concern is how would it affect my muscle gains.

Does fasted training help or hurt muscle growth?

Controversial topic, to say the least.

My suggestion is that if you try it, use whey shakes and BCAA caps/powders during the period away from solid food meals. This is more of a form of liquid fasting, than calorie fasting, but in my experience it works.

I spent a good portion of 2010 cutting using this method and retained my muscle mass. I would experiment with this before I would try without.

IronManlet 08-13-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 267853)
Yep, I train fasted on some days if I'm fasting for 24 hours. Like you've experienced it works just fine, you feel alert and focused.

Generally I have an afternoon eating window (2-7) so I do most of my work in the morning while fasted and like you I like the feeling of grabbing a hot drink and getting straight to it.

When I 24 hour fast I tend to fast between 7-7 and that's generally when I train fasted. I'm midway through a 24 hour fast today and will be training later right about when the 24 hours is up!

I'm not doing any 24 hour fasts or anything; just IF, which is basically just skipping breakfast. Eating two big meals during the day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtL (Post 267859)
When I train on the weekend it is usually fasted. With the carb backloading I generally have enough calories in my system from the night before to power me through coupled with my pre-WO and coffee. I generally feel better doing this than I used to eating a carb-laden breakfast.

Al

Interesting. I eat higher fats and protein though, so I find that a large meal before bed still releases energy for training the next day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 267866)
I've trained fasted for about 4.5 years now. During the week when I train I do so without having eaten for 18+ hours.

There are no energy issues for me. I actually feel better during the day because I don't have foo in my stomach slogging me down and making me feel sluggish.

Ori Hofmekler refers to this daily alertness in his book. It's been a while since I read it, but the concept was that we are wired to stay alert and focused until we secure the kill (food).

Never knew you trained fasted all the time.

Fazc 08-13-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronManlet (Post 267882)
I'm not doing any 24 hour fasts or anything; just IF, which is basically just skipping breakfast. Eating two big meals during the day.

No. Intermittent fasting can be any number of fasting and feeding protocols. What you are describing has been popularised by Leangains, where he recommends 16/8. The 24 hour fasts are usually split up by days rather than hours and is more common to the Eat Stop Eat IF protocol.

I also stated the eating window/2 hours a day is what I typically use.

Tannhauser 08-13-2012 01:43 PM

Wow, I'm very interested in this stuff. Scarfing down anything prior to training is second nature to me, so I'm fascinated by the idea that really strong guys use train in a fasted state. The few times I've tried, I haven't felt good.

There was a 'Horizon' programme ( BBC's flagship science programme) last week -looking at the research into fasting, health, ageing, body composition etc.

Off Road 08-13-2012 01:55 PM

I have always been a big believer that you should have a nutritious breakfast but I tried this today. I had a protein shake mixed with milk for breakfast. Then an hour later I did my workout. I was very suprised that I saw no lack of energy and had a very good workout. I had a full breakfast after my workout and I feel great. Just goes to show, you never know until you try.