Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Fasted training screws around with my blood sugar, but I have metabolic issues as a former diabetic that aren't completely gone. However, keep in mind that if your liver likes to spew glucose, its better to not stay in a fasted state.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #12
SeventySeven
Max Brawn
Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 1 year+
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Xtend
SeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machine

i eat 4-5 meals a day. I like having fuel before lifting so i have 2 meals before, and 2-3 meals after to recover. my prefrence.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #13
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Training fasted to me means having nothing apart from water, but I've seen guys who say they train fasted but then in later posts state that they use pre-workout supps and a whole host of other things; so, when you say that you train in a fasted state, exactly what does it mean, for you?
Old 08-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #14
Disciple X
Max Brawn
Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Disciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machine

I've done IF on and off for the past year and a half. Its my favorite way to eat. I basically eat once a day most of the time. So in reality i do a 23.5 hour fast daily. Works great for me. Sometimes i eat some greek yogurt or an apple or something during the day. Somedays like today, i got hungry and ravaged a little taco bell . But in all reality thats because i didnt eat enough last night. Weekends get me off schedule most of the time...

I feel terrible if i eat too close to my workouts now...
Disciple X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #15
Traphouse86
Max Brawn
Points: 6,569, Level: 53 Points: 6,569, Level: 53 Points: 6,569, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 6 Years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Muscle Milk & Xtend
Traphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributor

Anything under 1500 cals at least 2 hours before a workout is training in a fasted state for me

"I donít believe that anyone knows what his or her full potential is, I donít believe in genetics as a ceiling for performance, and I donít believe in plateaus." JMB

Proudly Sponsored by http://muscleandbrawn.com/
Traphouse86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #16
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
No. Intermittent fasting can be any number of fasting and feeding protocols. What you are describing has been popularised by Leangains, where he recommends 16/8. The 24 hour fasts are usually split up by days rather than hours and is more common to the Eat Stop Eat IF protocol.

I also stated the eating window/2 hours a day is what I typically use.
Of course. I don't know if I'd be able to do that and still get in all my calories.

I hear Serge Nubret used to eat just one meal of ~4lbs of meat on top of rice and beans every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
Wow, I'm very interested in this stuff. Scarfing down anything prior to training is second nature to me, so I'm fascinated by the idea that really strong guys use train in a fasted state. The few times I've tried, I haven't felt good.

There was a 'Horizon' programme ( BBC's flagship science programme) last week -looking at the research into fasting, health, ageing, body composition etc.
The first couple times have felt a bit odd to me too, but I adjusted pretty quickly. I'd like to look into that program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I have always been a big believer that you should have a nutritious breakfast but I tried this today. I had a protein shake mixed with milk for breakfast. Then an hour later I did my workout. I was very suprised that I saw no lack of energy and had a very good workout. I had a full breakfast after my workout and I feel great. Just goes to show, you never know until you try.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
Fasted training screws around with my blood sugar, but I have metabolic issues as a former diabetic that aren't completely gone. However, keep in mind that if your liver likes to spew glucose, its better to not stay in a fasted state.
Pre-existing conditions can affect it, I'm sure. I tend towards a high fat/protein and low carb diet though, so I use the fat for fuel instead of all glucose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Training fasted to me means having nothing apart from water, but I've seen guys who say they train fasted but then in later posts state that they use pre-workout supps and a whole host of other things; so, when you say that you train in a fasted state, exactly what does it mean, for you?
I never use any supplements (unless you count a vitamin), so fasted training for me is coffee, tea, or water and nothing else before you train.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #17
d3stroy
Points: 309, Level: 6 Points: 309, Level: 6 Points: 309, Level: 6
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

d3stroy is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
Wow, I'm very interested in this stuff. Scarfing down anything prior to training is second nature to me, so I'm fascinated by the idea that really strong guys use train in a fasted state. The few times I've tried, I haven't felt good.

There was a 'Horizon' programme ( BBC's flagship science programme) last week -looking at the research into fasting, health, ageing, body composition etc.
I too have tried it and it did not work for me. I would rather have something to eat in my body. All I coudl think of was food while I was working out and was never so glad to have been done with a workout to pig out.
d3stroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:42 AM   #18
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple X View Post
I've done IF on and off for the past year and a half. Its my favorite way to eat. I basically eat once a day most of the time. So in reality i do a 23.5 hour fast daily. Works great for me. Sometimes i eat some greek yogurt or an apple or something during the day. Somedays like today, i got hungry and ravaged a little taco bell . But in all reality thats because i didnt eat enough last night. Weekends get me off schedule most of the time...

I feel terrible if i eat too close to my workouts now...
So more of a Warrior Diet then, eh? Nice.

This blog was the clincher to get me started on IF: Live Like a Spartan : Intermittent Fasting | BOLD & DETERMINED
Old 08-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #19
Traphouse86
Max Brawn
Points: 6,569, Level: 53 Points: 6,569, Level: 53 Points: 6,569, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 6 Years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Muscle Milk & Xtend
Traphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traphouse86 View Post
Anything under 1500 cals at least 2 hours before a workout is training in a fasted state for me
Actually guys I'm hypoglycemic so I have to eat every 2-3 hours so don't really have a choice but to eat before a workout.

"I donít believe that anyone knows what his or her full potential is, I donít believe in genetics as a ceiling for performance, and I donít believe in plateaus." JMB

Proudly Sponsored by http://muscleandbrawn.com/
Traphouse86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #20
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traphouse86 View Post
Actually guys I'm hypoglycemic so I have to eat every 2-3 hours so don't really have a choice but to eat before a workout.
I had no idea. My liver and I don't get along, so if I train fasted, it kicks out glucose until my blood sugar hits over 150. Bodies are weird.