Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #21
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

Another point that is obviously missed by those who thing that eating the same as a elite athlete will make them the same is the work. Depending on the sport, some of these folks consume 7-10 thousand cals daily and may or may not care what the source (again sport dependent), but they are also burning many more thousands than even the "very active" in our midst.
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #22
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Lane View Post
Another point that is obviously missed by those who thing that eating the same as a elite athlete will make them the same is the work. Depending on the sport, some of these folks consume 7-10 thousand cals daily and may or may not care what the source (again sport dependent), but they are also burning many more thousands than even the "very active" in our midst.
Good point.

There were points in my life where I was lifting, running, playing basketball, table tennis, having sex 2.3 times per day, walking across campus 4 times over on a daily basis, etc., and I could eat as much of anything I wanted and still barely gain weight.

I still think I was a couple thousand cals below what some of these folks eat.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #23
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
...says Claire Kennedy, MS, RD, a licensed dietitian nutritionist at Tufts Health Center in Boston. “The worst thing you can do when you’re coming in from a swim or a run is to grab a Coke.”

Anybody have a good reason for this? Why is it the worst thing a person can do after a swim or a run?

That aside, athletes, footballers, and any other really popular person, etc, have been used in the promotion of junk food for years...look at Lineker and his ads for crisps (UK).
Old 08-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #24
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I used to grab Poptarts or a cherry pie after lifting. I stayed lean, looked good and it didn't destroy me.

A little stray from the norm is not a bad thing. There is a difference between very bad habits and minor indulgences.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #25
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Anybody have a good reason for this? Why is it the worst thing a person can do after a swim or a run?
Probably the salt, could make you cramp up and dehydrate you.
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #26
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Lane View Post
Probably the salt, could make you cramp up and dehydrate you.
Losing yet more salt through the intake of cola, you mean, instead of replacing it?
Old 08-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #27
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I used to grab Poptarts or a cherry pie after lifting. I stayed lean, looked good and it didn't destroy me.

A little stray from the norm is not a bad thing. There is a difference between very bad habits and minor indulgences.
After a 2-hour session of Tae Kwon Do, me, my eldest brother and sister would always go and buy a litre bottle of pop each and down them immediately...like you say though, that was a once a week deal, so maybe no real harm done.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #28
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

McDonald's is now emphasizing a Under 400 Menu.

Quote:
McDonald's is hoping to stress the healthier aspects of its menu with a new effort that regroups low-calorie offerings in a "Favorites Under 400 Calories" category.

The Chicago Tribune reports that the boards will be organized by calorie counts, in calorie blocks:

That means, for example, that under the heading 400 calories or less, consumers will see such items as medium fries, Filet-O-Fish sandwich and an Oreo McFlurry. For 300 calories or less, consumers can order a Southwest Salad or Strawberry Banana Real Fruit Smoothie.

McDonald's USA chief marketing officer, Neil Golden, told the paper that he and the company "want customers to understand that they have food that they love, but food that they can feel good about enjoying regularly."

The measure will be implemented in the shadow of many critics' concerns regarding McDonald's title sponsorship of this year's Olympics games.
More: McDonald's Emphasizes Healthy Options With 'Favorites Under 400 Calories' Olympics Promotion
Old 08-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #29
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

I heard on one of the commentaries for the women's freestyle wrestling that one competitor allows herself one junk food meal at wherever she chooses but only once a month; that's the sensible way to approach the stuff but it would hardly sell the amount the companies want sold.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #30
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MC* View Post
McDonald's is now emphasizing a Under 400 Menu.

I think this is admirable. They listened to the complaints and found options, like a smart business would. Over time when some of these items fall off the menu due to supply and demand, they'll test others. It's what they do.

People are free in this country to complain about the big corporations. The big corporations are free to respond in any way they see fit. Some people don't like the attacks against Walmart and McDonalds, but hey...it's a free country. Let them gripe, right or wrong. This give and take can be healthy in the long run, as long as it stays in bounds.