Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #31
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
I don't really care about the ridiculous study, the entire Storm trooper pic series, on the other hand, was hilarious. I literally "LOL'd out loud."

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #32
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

The people in the study are not hostile becasue they desire to be muscular.
They are hostile because they are AZZ holes.

Strength and confidence are a powerful match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...OpNWjaI5w&NR=1

Last edited by glwanabe; 07-02-2012 at 07:48 PM.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #33
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

"Muscular"?
"Aspiring to be muscular"?

I think we need to be more specific here.

So many people use the word "muscular", yet it signifies different images to different people. For a large cross-section of the general population Brad Pitt in fight club signifies muscular (and the degree of muscularity they want to attain). For some other, the word "muscular" may invoke images of Steve Reeves or Parks or Arnold. For some others, muscular would be synonymous with wicked strength - think of Poundstone.

Isn't it normal that different people with different goals (in terms of ideal muscularity or what they want to attain) may also have different thought processes?

Straight men appreciating female beauty is going to be a common trait, muscular or not. But I will wager that those wanting Brad Pitt-fight club physique will probably have a different thought process than those looking to build a Parks like physique or aim at getting Poundstone strong. I find many of the "brahs" for whom Pitt is an ideal of a muscular man actually crave for that physique to get female attention and this becomes their primary objective in working out. So if the study included more of these people, the results would be skewed accordingly.

To illustrate with an example - go to youtube and look up videos of women lifting big weights. A look at the comment section and you will find a bunch of "get in the kitchen" and "make me a sammich" stuff. I doubt if many guys for whom building a great physique / become brutally strong is the goal of working out would deride fellow lifters like that.

I would consider such comments sexist; and I would be willing to bet that more often than not, they would be made by immature kids or Tyler Durden idolizong brahs.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:09 AM   #34
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Maybe idiots who disrespect women are more likely the training type of guys due to a general feeling of being small? I know the talk about women can be pretty harsh and sexist among me and my buddys but its not serious and we would never talk that way when there are women or kids around. Were all very loving family men. Dont know what they exactly wanted to prove with this study, but I like the stormtrooper pics to :-)
big_swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:56 AM   #35
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Without seeing the actual study, who knows what actually went on. There's plenty of horrible people ranging the entire spectrum of fitness and strength on both sides of the gender aisle. Or all 6 sides of the gender aisle if we're taking the Oracle HR module guidelines into account.

The truly huge guys I have met have been great people for the most part. The bros who almost have that 6 pack and flash their 14" biceps to everyone are jerks to everyone, women, men, goldfish, the occasional peccary. Who could be angry with this little fuzzy pig? A woman hater. Its the only explanation