Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #21
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Thanks for pointing that out.

This adds insecurity to the table.

Hmm, how do I view these questions...

Most women don't flirt with the intention of having sex, so there is a difference. Men do, most of the time - or at least they are thinking about it. So I agree with the first statement. Men and women are wired differently. I don't know that most women realize they are teasing. It's just part of the love dance. /End overthinking.

Regarding intoxication...hmm. All I know is that women who tended to get drunk a lot were well known.
Being female, I have to add that I think most women know exactly what they're doing when they flirt and in today's society it is generally with one purpose in mind, or the secondary purpose of jealousy and a fight between two guys over her, pretty much.

In regard to the article/study, when a proportion of a population is asked about specifics, the results can't be taken to mean the entire group of "muscular" men, since a percentage only reflects the percentage of those actually asked; it also depends where they picked up these muscular men, a gym, a bar, a club??

Putting in the equation, the guys on this forum, for argument's sake; I highly doubt any or many have that attitude and yet they are all after increased strength (very male related goal) or increased muscularity (male realted again)...but are secure in their male role and don't need violence to assert themselves in that arena. So, had the guys on this forum been asked, the results would have been very different to the ones being portrayed.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #22
Jen
Max Brawn
Points: 4,825, Level: 44 Points: 4,825, Level: 44 Points: 4,825, Level: 44
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: Started 3/23/12
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift :)
Fav Supp: Coffee
Jen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Can I borrow your Stormtrooper suit?

wtf.... LMAO
Old 07-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #23
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
f a population is asked about specifics, the results can't be taken to mean the entire group of "muscular" men, since a percentage only reflects the percentage of those actually asked; it also depends where they picked up these muscular men, a gym, a bar, a club??
As far as I can figure out (without shelling out $11 to buy the full copy of the study), the researchers didn't target muscular men. They asked a cross-section of men about (a) their interest in acquiring a muscular physique and (b) their attitudes towards women. Then they looked to see if there was any correlation between the two, which apparently there was.

So they aren't claiming that all muscular men are sexist. They are claiming that those men with a greater interest in becoming muscular (whatever that means) are statistically more likely to show sexist attitudes.

Quote:
Putting in the equation, the guys on this forum, for argument's sake; I highly doubt any or many have that attitude and yet they are all after increased strength (very male related goal) or increased muscularity (male realted again)...but are secure in their male role and don't need violence to assert themselves in that arena. So, had the guys on this forum been asked, the results would have been very different to the ones being portrayed.
I'm not sure that they looked at violence against women. They did look at objectification of women. Note that the forum does have a very popular 'testosterone' thread and 'hot fitness models' thread. I'm not referring to this as sexist, but that was one of their measures, and, hey, we've got one. I'm happy to say.

I see very little sexism on here* compared to the UK car forum that I'm on. There, every new female member is treated like a piece of meat. It's just horrible.

*Though I did see fitness models referred to as 'permatanned whores' on another thread

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #24
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
As far as I can figure out (without shelling out $11 to buy the full copy of the study), the researchers didn't target muscular men. They asked a cross-section of men about (a) their interest in acquiring a muscular physique and (b) their attitudes towards women. Then they looked to see if there was any correlation between the two, which apparently there was.

So they aren't claiming that all muscular men are sexist. They are claiming that those men with a greater interest in becoming muscular (whatever that means) are statistically more likely to show sexist attitudes.

I'm not sure that they looked at violence against women. They did look at objectification of women. Note that the forum does have a very popular 'testosterone' thread and 'hot fitness models' thread. I'm not referring to this as sexist, but that was one of their measures, and, hey, we've got one. I'm happy to say.

I see very little sexism on here* compared to the UK car forum that I'm on. There, every new female member is treated like a piece of meat. It's just horrible.

*Though I did see fitness models referred to as 'permatanned whores' on another thread
Thanks Tann; I see what you mean about the "muscular seeker" (for want of a better terminology) as opposed to the already muscular individual...the strange thing is, this may be one of those phenomenon as seen with martial arts, those who seek it have a strange view of it (use it as a means to an end instead of for its true purpose) whereas those doing the art form for several years tend to be more stable in their view and settled in to the art form for the sake of the form; I realise that probably doesn't make any sense but I hope it does.

With regard to the seeing women as a piece of meat, an MRI scan of the male brain was done and women were seen as impersonal objects in the same way as screwdrivers and hammers...so, that may just be a generalised male view; though, to be fair, there was no correlating study done on females and I'm sure had there been, it may have resulted in similar views toward the male form.

The fitness model and testosterone threads, to me, are just basic human instinct but I can see where some may see them as sexist.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #25
T-Bone
The Beardo Weirdo
Max Brawn
Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
T-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machine

Quote:
Perhaps these men who wanted to become muscular were doing so to feel attractive to women like their muscular counterparts, believing women to be attracted to only that kind of man. Therefore, they had slightly hostile attitudes towards women out of resentment for being overlooked.

They think they want to be Brad so they can have an Angelina.

"There's nothing wrong with being a large mammal." - Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison - The Doors (1991)

Sergey Krastio Trelawny
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #26
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Because on a car forum all it takes is money to buy and upgrade a vehicle (not condoning the behavior). But on here, people actually have to put in the effort, man or woman, and that is respectable.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #27
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100

Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Because on a car forum all it takes is money to buy and upgrade a vehicle (not condoning the behavior). But on here, people actually have to put in the effort, man or woman, and that is respectable.
Yeah, could be. Or could be that that particular marque is bought by trogolodytes. Honestly, it's awful - a woman only has to sign in on there and it's a mass attack of the leg-humpers.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #28
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

I don't really care about the ridiculous study, the entire Storm trooper pic series, on the other hand, was hilarious. I literally "LOL'd out loud."

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #29
Tannhauser
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
With regard to the seeing women as a piece of meat, an MRI scan of the male brain was done and women were seen as impersonal objects in the same way as screwdrivers and hammers.
Interesting...though I don't put too much faith in MRI scans as a method of uncovering attitudes.

As far as the perceptual system is concerned, a woman is an object - a shape that has to be recognised by matching it with previous memories - as is your reflection, Danny deVito, your firstborn, a pussy cat and Nelson Mandela.

Maybe that study just tells us that the same bit of the brain always recognises shapes?

Old 07-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #30
Tannhauser
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
I don't really care about the ridiculous study, the entire Storm trooper pic series, on the other hand, was hilarious. I literally "LOL'd out loud."
What do you find ridiculous in it? The question it's investigating? Or the methodology?