Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
WilldBill88
King of The Cowboys
Max Brawn
Points: 5,489, Level: 47 Points: 5,489, Level: 47 Points: 5,489, Level: 47
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 2 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
WilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beast
Default Any Ex smokers here?

Hey guys, I'm a pack a day smoker. Yes, I know its bad for my health, can cause cancer and ect. The problem is quiting.. I've tried a couple times before but, just couldn't completely do it. Was wondering if anyone from here use to be a smoker and what helped you quit? And if you use to smoke when you were lifting, did you get stronger after quiting or have an increase in muscle growth?

Thanks,

-Wild Bill
WilldBill88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I am an ex-smoker.

During my time in the Army I was stationed near Richmond, VA, home of Phillip Morris. Packs of cigs were provided to soldiers at $3 a carton...yes, you read that right. I tried a few out of boredom and was hooked.

After the military I returned to lifting and was as big as ever while smoking. So no issues with gains for me while smoking.

I quit by ramping my cigarettes down slowly. It helped too to not smoke an entire cigarette each time. I would take 3-4 puffs and done. This allowed me to smoke as often, but with fewer cigarettes.

Eventually though when I got down to a few a day I found I still needed something to puff on after eating, or when I woke up. This was much more than a physical addition to smoking. This was the hardest part for me.

Even 3-4 years after quitting I still had a mental drive to want to smoke after eating, and first thing in the morning. My advice here is to establish a new habit for these tough times. Go for a walk, etc. Do a chore. Do something physical that doesn't allow you to think much.

Also, I gained a lot of weight when I quit. It will help to devise and keep a rigid eating plan.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

It is very hard. I started in 1993 at 15 years old. I tried quitting many time, failing usually. I actually quit for 8 months shortly after starting, but peer preasure gave me one smoke after my first rock concert..next day, I bought a pack and started again. Even after 3 months in Boot Camp, I still craved a smoke on the way home.

I see it as desire; how badly do you really want to quit? No matter how much you say you do, it needs to be little more. I used an oft-busted method, cold turkey. It was hell for the first 5 days, but eventually I was able to not want one any longer. I found chewing on a stirrer or straw helped a bit.

Also, doing exhausting cardio after quitting helped, as it expeditied the cleaning of my lungs. The more I did cardio, the better my lungs were, and the deeper breaths I could take. After a few weeks, the smell of a ciggarette made me sick.

Not sure about muscle growth post-smoker. I don't think nicotine has a direct affect on muscles, but the inability to breathe fully and push 100% will have an indirect effect on muscle growth. If you smoke, and you think you're giving it all, you're wrong.

Keep telling yourself to quit, every day, over and over. You will feel better, look better, smell better, taste foods the way they are supposed to taste...and get less dirty looks from non-smokers.

good luck, this is harder than any lifting program ever conceived. Be ready for a battle, but if you want it, you can do it.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
Jen
Max Brawn
Points: 4,825, Level: 44 Points: 4,825, Level: 44 Points: 4,825, Level: 44
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: Started 3/23/12
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift :)
Fav Supp: Coffee
Jen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master member

I started when I was 15 --around 1988. I've quit several times in my life. When I got pregnant with my oldest daughter I quit (1996) and stayed off them for about 3 years. I gained a massive amount of weight between the pregnancy and the quitting smoking, around 60 lbs. She was diagnosed with cancer (2000) and I started smoking again from the stress. Stupid, I know.

I contiued to smoke until I got pregnant with my son (2006). I literally stopped at a gas station to buy a pack of smokes on the way home from the hospital after he was born.

In March 2007 I decided to try the medication "Chantix". For me, it was like a miracle. I tell everybody that will listen about this medicine. I have been free from them since March 2007.

Good luck!!
Old 06-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

I smoked for years. I smoked about 1 to 2 packs/day. In 1985 I decided I wanted to quit. I threw away about 1/2 pack of cigarettes and never picked up another one. It's really tuff the first week or so, but the longer you go the better it gets. After eating or drinking beer is the worse time. You just have to want to quit worse than you want to smoke. Everytime you get the craving, just tell yourself you are a non smoker. I used to eat alot of TicTac mints too.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilldBill'88 View Post
Hey guys, I'm a pack a day smoker. Yes, I know its bad for my health, can cause cancer and ect. The problem is quiting.. I've tried a couple times before but, just couldn't completely do it. Was wondering if anyone from here use to be a smoker and what helped you quit? And if you use to smoke when you were lifting, did you get stronger after quiting or have an increase in muscle growth?

Thanks,

-Wild Bill
I was on 2 packs a day, just took the decision to quit and then I did. One day after lunch I was out of cigarettes and figure It was a good day to quit and did not smoke anymore since. The thing that made me stick to it, was that I could notice a BIG difference in recovery just 6 ours later when I squatted. It was WIN.

I dont think I would be where I am today (in terms of training) if I was still smoking.

Just make a decision, stack up on nicotine supplements (I still use) and go for it. Good luck!
Old 06-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
Goat
Max Brawn
Points: 3,004, Level: 33 Points: 3,004, Level: 33 Points: 3,004, Level: 33
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: MEAT
Goat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machine

Quitting smoking was the hardest thing I have ever done. What worked best was to be aware of what they were doing to me.

And then get angry with them, and I mean f-@!# pissed.

One more will always lead to another.

Remember that quitting smoking is the single greatest act you can do for you're health.

It can be done. You CAN do it!

Nicotine replacement helped, I used the lozenges.

By the way squats are a bitch when you have COPD.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country.One is by the sword.The other is by debt. - John Adams
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

5yrs as of March 31st.

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
IronWill
Max Brawn
Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

IronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beast

I never did quit smoking. I just stopped cigarettes.
IronWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
jhew
Master of disaster
New Brawn
Points: 580, Level: 11 Points: 580, Level: 11 Points: 580, Level: 11
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: DEADLIFT
Fav Supp: FOOD
jhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good posts

I am still a smoker, and have been gradually cutting out cigarettes one at a time. Pretty close to kicking it, just don't give up.

You can't kill a man who refuses to die.
jhew is offline   Reply With Quote