Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
79tx
New Brawn
Points: 142, Level: 2 Points: 142, Level: 2 Points: 142, Level: 2
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

79tx is off to a bad start
Default Best memory you have of your dad

What is the best memory you have of your dad? My dad used to do little things that always made me smile. Like he would buy my favorite bag of candy and stick it under my pillow to surprise, or he would take us kids out to lunch for a one on one date with him. Good memories.
79tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Ah memories,

I remember it well to this day. Dad showed up, and said he was leaving all of us. We knew it was only a matter of time for this event to happen, and it actually was a relief when he finally had the balls to do it.

My Sister was 18, I was 16, and my Brother 14. It hurt, but as the years have gone by I have come to realize that unless he was willing or able to be a far different person than who he is, it was the best thing he ever did for us.

The man has basically been dead to me for 30 years. He taught me the type of man I should not be, and I know the type of Dad I want to be to my Daughters becasue of him.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post

. He taught me the type of man I should not be, and I know the type of Dad I want to be to my Daughters becasue of him.
I can relate to this. My Dad was a selfish person growing up. He would rather take from his family than make any sort of sacrifice for our well being. He lead his family with violence rather than wisdom and love. I will never treat my son how I was treated as a boy.
Having said that, people grow up and change. As he has aged he has legitimately seen the err in his ways. And I know he has felt remorse for his treatment of us.
He has earned a relationship with me now that I am an adult. I have forgiven him for his mistakes. I love my Dad and Know he would now do anything for me. And more importantly, he will always stand by me.

Sorry to go off on a kind of a serious rant.

Having said all that, despite the misery there were some good times growing up. One of my favorite is my Dad, my Uncle Phil, Myself and My brother lifting weights together in my Dad's garage after we all got of work. We did this probably 3 days a week for quite sometime. Those were great times.
I hate to admit, but there was a lot of curling and bench pressing going on in that garage!!!

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

In so many ways, my dad is the best possible example for me. Right from my childhood, he walked me through most of the stuff that I cherish, whether it be playing cricket or soccer, photography, biking, swimming, a love for nature or a love for science.

We have had good times together and those times have molded me into the person that I am today. My first experimental research paper was co-authored with my dad, after I bugged him day and night to let me work as his research assistant while I was an undergraduate (my dad happens to be a professor). They were heady days, normal father-son talk would be interspersed with the research problem we were studying.

That set me on track for my career (finished my PhD last year, with the university research excellence award - and my dad was on hand in the commencement ceremony to see me get my degree and research award).
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
Jen
Max Brawn
Points: 4,825, Level: 44 Points: 4,825, Level: 44 Points: 4,825, Level: 44
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: Started 3/23/12
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift :)
Fav Supp: Coffee
Jen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master member

I hate Fathers Day.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I thank my Dad for teaching me that "A job worth doing is worth doing right." It was frustrating, like when it took us twice as long to build fence together as when it was just me doing it, but dang it was a well built fence.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:06 AM   #7
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

My father saw everything in terms of black or white. I always saw some gray areas here and there, but he saw specific lines you do not cross or else. He grew up in a different time and felt like there were hard and fast rules to the universe, I always saw things a bit more loosely.

However as I've gotten older, I am more like him now. There is a right way and a wrong way and if you chip away at the right way, it becomes wrong.

I'm way older now than he was then teaching me those lessons, so I just wonder where he got such wisdom at such a relatively young age. He was 25 and my mom 20 when they had me. So my formative years were when he was 28-38 or so. My son was born when I was 40 and I still don't think I have as much common sense as dad had at 28. When I was 28 I'm not sure I could have poured piss out of a boot properly even if the instructions were written on the heel.

You always knew exactly what you were getting with my dad, always average never really spectacular, rock solid consistent. People never know what to expect out of me, sometimes great, sometimes awful, no consistency whatsoever.

I'm not sure that's a step forward for the human race, but then again things between dad and I were always complicated.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #8
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

I really don't have any good memories of my father and it's nice to see that some people have got great fathers, people they can look up to...but, though there is very little good I can associate with my father, I can't take away from him the fact that he put food on the table, though my mother worked as well.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

One fond memory of my Dad is his running commentary on pieces of music. He would put on -for example - some Glenn Miller, and it would go something lie this:

'Clifford - just listen to this - hear those 'bones -what a tone, eh? That's the great so-and-so on lead trombone. Zum-te-tum zum-te-tum, hear those brushes? Oh, just holds it under nicely [stands swaying, transported into some distant realm] - here they go again - and just hark at that sax, son - the harmonies! -tremendous, eh? Listen to that...DOO DAT, DOO DAT, BOM BOM BOM BOM DOO DAT DOO DAT.'

And so on in the same vein.

Good old Dad.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
I really don't have any good memories of my father and it's nice to see that some people have got great fathers, people they can look up to...but, though there is very little good I can associate with my father, I can't take away from him the fact that he put food on the table, though my mother worked as well.
I was hesitant to chime in for the same reason.

The best thing about my father is that he taught me how to be a father by doing the opposite of what a father should do.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote