Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:41 AM   #11
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermom View Post
I saw online today that a hospital in Texas has denied applicants due to their BMI. Meaning if you are fat then you should not apply because you will not get the job even if you are qualified. Is this acceptable do you think? And more so is it legal?
If one analyzes the current federal employment and discrimination laws, applicable to governing employers, there is no specific language making the rejection of fat applicants illegal. In addition, it is legal to reject an applicant whom is otherwise qualified through experience or education, if the applicant doesn't meet certain criteria--where there are certain standards regularly practiced and its specific to the nature of the business.

Such as, physical fitness and appearance. Think about it some. The military does this "sort of thing" all the time. They will allow someone fat to sign up, and the person may even pass all the entrance tests. But, fail agility tests, etc, your out.

For example: Most reputable businesses in which operate point of sale stations or desks, would frown on hiring a person in which had lobe rings which stretched their ear lobes down to their shoulder blades, nose rings, tattoos in which covered their face, hands, and arms, in conjunction with a male with hair down to his butt, as some would believe their appearance effects the business image they want to project to potential clients, guests, or customers.

Personally, I am for a business hiring personnel that suites their business, without breaking any laws, whether the hiring personnel likes the laws or not.

This opinion also goes for the hot topic of smoking. Though I am not a smoker, I do believe the business should be the one that decides to allow it or not, based on their best interest. This specific topic should not be spoon fed down the respective businesses' throat. They are putting in their monetary risk and providing the labor in which to make the business work and should decide for their self. The business then can work with the apposing attitudes toward the smoker and nonsmoker--which both bring in money.

Best regards,

Chillen

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 05-30-2012 at 01:47 AM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #12
seth78
New Brawn
Points: 599, Level: 11 Points: 599, Level: 11 Points: 599, Level: 11
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

seth78 is off to a good startseth78 is off to a good startseth78 is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWill View Post
I second that. I find it appalling the number of obese nurses hanging around hospital doors smoking.
I agree some but yet at the same time what if the obese nurse is more qualified than the nurse who is fit? Who would you rather be in the hands of?
seth78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

I dont care what someone does in there own time, I want the qualified person dealing with me.

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #14
Transformed
Brawn
Points: 452, Level: 9 Points: 452, Level: 9 Points: 452, Level: 9
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Transformed is off to a good startTransformed is off to a good startTransformed is off to a good start

I would say that they are sort of discriminating against people who are overweight. I agree I want the qualified person saving my life as well. I do not care what they look like as long as they make me better.
Transformed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:54 AM   #15
_J_
Chalk Rebel
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,253, Level: 35 Points: 3,253, Level: 35 Points: 3,253, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Whole Milk
_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformed View Post
I would say that they are sort of discriminating against people who are overweight.
That is not against the law. In an employment-at-will state, you can be not hired or fired for any reason not protected by law (race, gender, age, etc). For example, my employer can fire me b/c I have a shaved head or b/c they don't like the color of the shirt I'm wearing or b/c I have brown eyes.
_J_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:04 PM   #16
henryh
Brawn
Points: 630, Level: 12 Points: 630, Level: 12 Points: 630, Level: 12
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

henryh has made some quality postshenryh has made some quality postshenryh has made some quality postshenryh has made some quality postshenryh has made some quality postshenryh has made some quality posts

I know of a place that does not hire men with long hair. If you want the job and they offer it to you the only way you will get it is to cut the hair off. Sometimes may not seem right but many times employers have the last say.
henryh is offline   Reply With Quote