Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Skydiving Goes Wrong: 80-Year-Old Granny Falls Out Of Harness (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10094)

mustgetbigger 05-27-2012 02:57 PM

Skydiving Goes Wrong: 80-Year-Old Granny Falls Out Of Harness

Would you be willing to try this out if you were 80 years old?

Ryano 05-27-2012 03:32 PM

I have a Master Skydiving license and a USPA rated static line jumpmaster. I think the tandem master was wrong in forcing her out of the plane. He should have taken another pass at jump run and tried to build her confidence to get out on her own. Without cooperation on her part, he should have stayed on board and rode the plane down with her. IMO

5kgLifter 05-27-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryano (Post 245482)
I have a Master Skydiving license and a USPA rated static line jumpmaster. I think the tandem master was wrong in forcing her out of the plane. He should have taken another pass at jump run and tried to build her confidence to get out on her own. Without cooperation on her part, he should have stayed on board and rode the plane down with her. IMO

I did wonder why he almost appeared to be forcing her out of the plane, she clearly didn't want to go. Thanks for clearing that up.

Was the harness not tight enough or you reckon all her "fumbling" about was the cause of the harness issue going wrong during the jump?

IronWill 05-27-2012 04:24 PM

It doesn't look like her experience was good on any level...

henryh 05-27-2012 04:45 PM

No way do I think that I would want to try this one out. She does appear to be forced to go, which in my opinion is not right.

Ryano 05-27-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 245499)
I did wonder why he almost appeared to be forcing her out of the plane, she clearly didn't want to go. Thanks for clearing that up.

Was the harness not tight enough or you reckon all her "fumbling" about was the cause of the harness issue going wrong during the jump?

He forced her at exit. When he tried to dive out, she hesitated which caused her to flip backwards in the harness. She was about to fall out of the harness during the freefall. You can see the tandem master holding her legs in the harness to keep her from falling out. She didn't do what she was trained to do, but he should not have forced the issue, IMO. It's just a "fun" sport. I've lost really good friends to skydiving accidents. It definately takes the "fun" out of it. I haven't jumped since 1997.

5kgLifter 05-27-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryano (Post 245519)
He forced her at exit. When he tried to dive out, she hesitated which caused her to flip backwards in the harness. She was about to fall out of the harness during the freefall. You can see the tandem master holding her legs in the harness to keep her from falling out. She didn't do what she was trained to do, but he should not have forced the issue, IMO. It's just a "fun" sport. I've lost really good friends to skydiving accidents. It definately takes the "fun" out of it. I haven't jumped since 1997.

Yeah, I noticed that he was struggling to keep her in the harness and he seemed in shock on the ground, with good reason.

The last thing needed at that sort of altitude is someone that doesn't or can't, for whatever reason, follow what they were taught step-by-step on the ground...usually, painstakingly taught, from some documentaries I've seen.

BendtheBar 05-27-2012 07:56 PM

Funny we just watched this last night. It must be hot on the Interwebz.