Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Exercise Form
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Exercise Form Videos, articles and resources to help you with your squat, deadlift, bench press form and more.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #291
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Mhurley, go up a few posts to my post for Tomsen and give it a read, because it covers everything you're having issues with in these lifts. Don't worry, these are problems most guys have. The reason your back rounds has nothing to do with mobility. Your back rounds because your knees are going forwards. They need to go OUT. And I don't mean a little. I mean WAY OUT. It's going to feel extremely uncomfortable and weak at first but please, trust me on this.

But seriously, take a look at my last post in this thread and do everything it says for both squats and deadlifts. That'll put you on the right track.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #292
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Welcome to the forum mhurley8594.

Notice in this image that you are squatting rather knock-kneed. I posted a video above for Tomsen that shows how to "pick up a quarter". Try practicing that with and without a kettlebell.

Your depth is good. Right now you just need to learn to squat a little more naturally.

I would also not go so deep. That will cause your lower back to round no matter who you are. Your squats are beyond buried.

I would try to take in no more than 1-2 inches deeper than parallel:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	squat.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	9197   Click image for larger version

Name:	squata.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	9198  

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #293
mhurley8594
Young 'Un
New Brawn
Points: 161, Level: 3 Points: 161, Level: 3 Points: 161, Level: 3
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Overhead Press
Fav Supp: Coffee
mhurley8594 has made some good postsmhurley8594 has made some good postsmhurley8594 has made some good postsmhurley8594 has made some good postsmhurley8594 has made some good postsmhurley8594 has made some good postsmhurley8594 has made some good postsmhurley8594 has made some good postsmhurley8594 has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I would also not go so deep. That will cause your lower back to round no matter who you are. Your squats are beyond buried.

I would try to take in no more than 1-2 inches deeper than parallel:

Thanks for the advice Beast and Soldier, I will definitely incorporate it into my squats today.
Also, I never knew there was such a thing as "too deep", but I recognize that in competition parallel is depth enough, so I won't go so low next time.

UPDATE:

After concentrating on bending the bar against my back and pushing my knees out I did great! Still need to practice sitting back, but the advice worked.

With this hand, reach out and grab the enemy!

Last edited by mhurley8594; 05-29-2013 at 03:22 PM.
mhurley8594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #294
Bronco
Cool Guy
Brawn
Points: 1,448, Level: 21 Points: 1,448, Level: 21 Points: 1,448, Level: 21
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken
Bronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributor

ok, what do you think of my squats?
this is a PR of 260x8
i was worried about depth when i first watched but now i think it's just the camera angle.
the safety bars don't look parallel so i think that's why my legs don't either.
when i've filmed from a good side angle they have always been well below parallel.
form problems?
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #295
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
ok, what do you think of my squats?
this is a PR of 260x8
i was worried about depth when i first watched but now i think it's just the camera angle.
the safety bars don't look parallel so i think that's why my legs don't either.
when i've filmed from a good side angle they have always been well below parallel.
form problems?
Knees, knees, knees. They're going forward as you descend, then caving in as you push up. As you descend push those knees out hard and keep them there through the whole movement. It's going to feel weird at first, but stick with light weights and keep working it until it's automatic. Other than that you look good, but those knees are extremely important.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #296
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Knees, knees, knees. They're going forward as you descend, then caving in as you push up. As you descend push those knees out hard and keep them there through the whole movement. It's going to feel weird at first, but stick with light weights and keep working it until it's automatic. Other than that you look good, but those knees are extremely important.
I second that. Good advice.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #297
Bronco
Cool Guy
Brawn
Points: 1,448, Level: 21 Points: 1,448, Level: 21 Points: 1,448, Level: 21
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Supp: Chicken
Bronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
I second that. Good advice.
thanks guys.
i've focused on pushing knees out in the past, but haven't really been thinking about it lately. what's the trick on keeping the knees from going forward. keep the weight on the heels?
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #298
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
thanks guys.
i've focused on pushing knees out in the past, but haven't really been thinking about it lately. what's the trick on keeping the knees from going forward. keep the weight on the heels?
Lots of practice and time under the bar, more than anything. Honestly, I couldn't squat with my knees forward if I wanted to. It feels weird if I do anything OTHER than pushing them out as far as possible. Even when I do leg presses my knees go out. Once you get used to accessing the muscles of the hips It's hard to go back.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #299
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Lots of good info in this vid from Dan.

glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #300
GT55
Brawn
Points: 965, Level: 16 Points: 965, Level: 16 Points: 965, Level: 16
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Crunches of course
Fav Supp: A second plate
GT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Lots of practice and time under the bar, more than anything. Honestly, I couldn't squat with my knees forward if I wanted to. It feels weird if I do anything OTHER than pushing them out as far as possible. Even when I do leg presses my knees go out. Once you get used to accessing the muscles of the hips It's hard to go back.
Does this make your squat stronger, or prevent injury? I've read Rip saying keep them in line with your feet, whatever angle and width they're at.
GT55 is offline   Reply With Quote