Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Exercise Form
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Exercise Form Videos, articles and resources to help you with your squat, deadlift, bench press form and more.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #221
JTurner
Max Brawn
Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 2+ Years
Fav Exercise: BTNPP
Fav Supp: Beef
JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Please let me know what you think. I have tried to incorporate the techniques from the SYTYC Bench videos. My problem with the benches in the gym is that they are too high and I can't get my feet flat on the floor.

My spotter tells me my grip is too wide and that I come down too far forward. Both feel natural to me.
Mike and BtB got you covered but to add to what Mike was saying about the bench, I have a similar bench in my garage with that useless gap and big pad at the bottom. For me it's easiest to go higher up the bench like Mike said but instead of putting my legs over the pad I put them around the bench if that makes sense, I'll attach a pic.

Having my legs wider also lets me arch better and get more drive through my hips without my ass floating up. Might be something worth trying anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage Bench.png
Views:	98
Size:	310.2 KB
ID:	7780  
Old 03-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #222
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Just noticed that part about your grip and bench height.

You can put plates under your feet to raise them up, or lifting shoes might help too, like JT. However, even if your heels are up, you still want to try and force them down even if they won't touch. That downward force will go up the bench and also it keeps you from getting calf cramps at an inopportune time!!

Your grip should be a little wide to start the lift because what you want is your forearms verticle (elbows directly under hands) when the bar is touching your chest. Where you touch is just fine. Don't listen to that spotter!

Take a video from the back or front and you can see if your forearms are verticle when you touch.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #223
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Just noticed that part about your grip and bench height.

You can put plates under your feet to raise them up, or lifting shoes might help too, like JT. However, even if your heels are up, you still want to try and force them down even if they won't touch. That downward force will go up the bench and also it keeps you from getting calf cramps at an inopportune time!!

Your grip should be a little wide to start the lift because what you want is your forearms verticle (elbows directly under hands) when the bar is touching your chest. Where you touch is just fine. Don't listen to that spotter!

Take a video from the back or front and you can see if your forearms are verticle when you touch.
That rule about grip width may work for some, but mine is wider that. I have an extremely wide grip,and if I come in at all I lose quite a bit of strength. My forearms are never straight up and down.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #224
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Oh yeah, lots of powerlifters use a very wide grip to shorten the range of motion, etc. and they can lift more that way.

I wouldn't recommend that to anyone though. Puts your wrists at risk due to the angle. For me, it does a funky thing in my shoulders too.

You gotta find what works for you for sure, but I would start out as safe as possible, then experiment afterward.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #225
Tomsen
New Brawn
Points: 617, Level: 12 Points: 617, Level: 12 Points: 617, Level: 12

Training Exp: 1/2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Supp: cheeeeese!
Tomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good posts
Default Deadlift Form

Hey guys!

I got the chance to do another form video on my deadlift today. I took the advice i got on my last form post and tried to flatten my lower back. I know my form deteriorated on my last rep, but what about my first two?
Hope you can give me some tips!

Thank you for this forum anyways, it helped me out very very much!

Deadlift (110kg):

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-14-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Tomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #226
Cutty
Max Brawn
Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Fav Supp: Amino Acids
Cutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master member

Looks good and strong man, held form, back straight. Good work.
Cutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #227
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsen View Post
Hey guys!

I got the chance to do another form video on my deadlift today. I took the advice i got on my last form post and tried to flatten my lower back. I know my form deteriorated on my last rep, but what about my first two?
Hope you can give me some tips!

Thank you for this forum anyways, it helped me out very very much!

Deadlift (110kg):
Deadlift (110kg) 140313 - YouTube
First off, strong work. Overall it looks good. You hesitate just a hair off the ground, but this is minor. Concentrate on pulling the bar back towards your body right from the start of the pull. This should help that little bit of minor hip rise you have.

Again, that is minor. Everything else looks very solid. Nice lockout too.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #228
Tomsen
New Brawn
Points: 617, Level: 12 Points: 617, Level: 12 Points: 617, Level: 12

Training Exp: 1/2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Supp: cheeeeese!
Tomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty View Post
Looks good and strong man, held form, back straight. Good work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
First off, strong work. Overall it looks good. You hesitate just a hair off the ground, but this is minor. Concentrate on pulling the bar back towards your body right from the start of the pull. This should help that little bit of minor hip rise you have.

Again, that is minor. Everything else looks very solid. Nice lockout too.
Thank you guys! Now I feel more comfortable to go for twice of my bodyweight the following weeks ;-)
Tomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #229
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Close grip benching.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #230
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Looks good to me Brute. A little looseness before you unracked. Just try to get that tight back base as much as possible.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote