Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Exercise Form
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Exercise Form Videos, articles and resources to help you with your squat, deadlift, bench press form and more.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #181
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Three things which immediately pop out:

1) On the way down you're leaning into your right hand side. This is why I requested a vid from the front, each of those reps you can visibly see veers off to the right and then as you come back up you correct that. You need to concentrate on descending centrally, or even slightly to the left and do that until it looks better. .
Yeah , I noticed this , but only after I viewed the videos back.
Looking back at some old videos I can see it in there too – only not as obvious, perhaps I have “developed” this into my squat form over the last year. Time to undevelop it now!

Quote:
2) From the side view, each of the final reps shows a clear inclination to come up on your toes. Now, I don't necessarily agree with Bev/Soldier's viewpoint that you should start with your butt back. I think that will limit your depth and is more of a geared thing. I think you should carry on breaking at the knee, but if you're going to do that you MUST concentrate on pushing up from the bottom with your heels.

What might help you here is a slight raised heel. This will allow your knee to track forward more freely and might help you to sit back more. Possibly. .
Interesting point here that you aren’t the only person to have said the point about breaking at the knee to me….
I only recently picked up a pair of adidas power perfect IIs . Will have to work on getting the weight onto the heals a lot more now.

Quote:
3) As MikeM said your knees can track forward and out. At the moment you're buckling somewhat and this could possibly be caused by knees not being pushed outwards. Push them out strongly and this should allow your hips to come inline with your torso and prevent you from tipping forward.

If you can't push your knees out, then take your stance IN a little. This will allow you more room to move your knees out as you need to on the descent.
Yeah the knees buckling is pretty bad, and I can see it clearer now.
Thanks again for your help here Fazc , I hope I can be as helpful to you in some way in the future..

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #182
Tomsen
New Brawn
Points: 617, Level: 12 Points: 617, Level: 12 Points: 617, Level: 12
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1/2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: cheeeeese!
Tomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good posts

I think your form looks pretty good, probably your stance is a bit wide, but I don't know it that is ok, if you feel comfortable with it.
Tomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #183
Tomsen
New Brawn

Tomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good posts
Default Bent Over Row, Squat and Bench

Hey guys!

Recorded some of my major compound lifts today and I wanted to know what you think.

The weight is at about 75% of my 1rm for each lift (75kg on Bent Over Row, 55kg on Squat and 47,5kg on Bench Press).
I know my Squat weight is pretty low, but that is because I just started training legs again two weeks ago after I recovered from a surgery.
And I also recognized, that I got to much leg drive on my Bent Over Row, I'm going to work on that.

Thank's in advance!

Bent Over Row:

Bench Press:

Squat Side View:

Squat Rear View:
Old 02-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #184
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Hi Tomsen,

Rows I am not a fan of that form of the more standing-type upright row. I've tried it, feel it puts too much pressure on the lower back, and doesn't target the upper back as much as bent over rows or Pendlay rows.

Bench press...you are loose, flat-backed and benching somewhat arms flared. I can see you moving a leg after unracking. A few set up improvements such as setting up with a tight back, keeping the body tight during the lift, and tucking your elbows a bit, would help with performance and shoulder health.

Squats...Right now you're doing more of a half squat which is very bad for the knees. Your knees are forward, making it also impossible to hit depth. Knees need to open a bit, and should generally track along the same angle as the toes. Toes should be natural, and not straight forward.

Don't get discouraged. You are making the same mistakes that most guys make at the start. We'll help you get these ironed out.

Here is a good place to start. We have a lot of videos and pointers on form. If you have questions on any specific lift, feel free to start a thread and we'll help all we can.

Exercise Form - Muscle and Brawn Forums

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 02-19-2013 at 10:50 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #185
Tomsen
New Brawn

Thank's Bearded One for your advice. I see the problems that you have outlined. I will check out the other form threads and apply your tips to my workout. I'll put up new videos, when I think I've improved my form!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #186
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsen View Post
Thank's Bearded One for your advice. I see the problems that you have outlined. I will check out the other form threads and apply your tips to my workout. I'll put up new videos, when I think I've improved my form!
PM me if you have any questions that aren't answered on the forum.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #187
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Video for JB, BtB, and other hella strong benchers to tell me how to fix my bench. let me know if there is a better angle to film from, and I'll work on getting something like that next time.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:18 AM   #188
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Overall I think it looks decent Brute. Probably better than my set up

Old 02-21-2013, 02:15 AM   #189
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Form looks excellent overall in your upper body, but your lower body position maybe could be improved.

Some things I see that might help you is using a bench that doesn't have that break where you hips sink down into it. A solid full length bench is better because you want to keep your knees lower than your hips. Tough enough to do that normally, but your hips are even lower because your hips are in that space between the pads so your knees have to be that much lower too.

Now this is probably influenced by that bench too, but it would help if you were to space your feet wider apart and not so tight to the bench. You're a large mammal and your shoulder blades are already way off the bench due to your physical size. When your feet are in too, you get more of that wobble in the bar as you press because your body is wobbling on the bench a bit. basically, you're balanced on your traps, hips, and feet right under your hips. It's like a boat or a bicycle, when everything is down the center it's easier to tip. More of a tripod or tricycle shape and it's more stable.

So, feet spread farther apart would stop that wobble, but might make it harder to get them lower than hips esp. with that funky bench.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #190
Tomsen
New Brawn

Default Form Update

Hey Guys!

Today I had the chance to record my benching and squating again.

I changed my squat stance to slightly wider than shoulder width having my toes pointed out a bit. For my bench I tried to create an arch, bring my chest up and incorporate some leg drive by pressing my feet to the floor and squeezing my but chicks together.

I think I failed to get my benching correctly again, because I had some problems to build an arch.

Hope you can check and critique my form once again, would really appreciate it!

Best regards from Austria!

Squat:

Bench 1:

Bench 2:

Last edited by BendtheBar; 02-23-2013 at 04:22 PM.