Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Exercise Form
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Exercise Form Videos, articles and resources to help you with your squat, deadlift, bench press form and more.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #171
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Two videos of today's DLs. Watching them I think I already know what you're going to say, but I'll wait for the critiques. Be honest, be kind.
I have not a word to add here. Everything looks in order. At times I thought your hips were going to sink to low, and when you start the pull they looked about where they needed to be.

Lower back seemed tight, some upper back rounding which looks to be done right.

Looks decent to me TB.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #172
T-Bone
The Beardo Weirdo
Max Brawn
Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 7
Fav Exercise: Squat
T-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I have not a word to add here. Everything looks in order. At times I thought your hips were going to sink to low, and when you start the pull they looked about where they needed to be.

Lower back seemed tight, some upper back rounding which looks to be done right.

Looks decent to me TB.
Thank you. I was afraid my hips were rising too much and too early. If it looks good, then I won't fiddle with it. Onward to 275!

"There's nothing wrong with being a large mammal." - Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison - The Doors (1991)

Sergey Krastio Trelawny
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #173
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Thank you. I was afraid my hips were rising too much and too early. If it looks good, then I won't fiddle with it. Onward to 275!
Yeah I would definitely stay the course. Our body types look similar. Your form is close to mine.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #174
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

I couldn't find anything wrong with those deads either T-Bone. Great job!
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #175
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

taken today , trying to see what casued my knee injury in early december.

120kg x 5

137.5kg x 3

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #176
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Your knees are not out over your toes at the bottom of the lift. Use your butt to force your knees out wider. When your knee comes inward, it creates a sheer force on the inside of your knee, especially your left one which is the worst offender of the two. It's one thing to shimmy a knee once in a while on a big effort, but to do it consistently builds up wear and tear in one area and weakens it.

Also, you get forward on your toes more than you should. If you're going to squat high bar, your back needs to be more upright. As it is now, when the weight gets forward on you, you chase it to get back under it which also puts stress on the knees.

Just my .02

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96

Last edited by MikeM; 01-04-2013 at 11:54 AM.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #177
Beverly McD
Max Brawn
Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28

Training Exp: Since 1987
Beverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machine

Start with your break-out.
Right now, you're breaking with your knees slightly in front of the bar, and using your quad musces to break the weight up.
It sets you up to squat too much on your toes, which puts a ton of strain on the knees.

Instead, set your feet slightly wider, knees under the bar, butt slightly behind it. With your center gravity located on your heels and the outsides of your feet, flex your butt and hamstrings hard to break the weight.

This helps bring the butt and hams into play more. Bigger, stronger muscle groups to help you move the weight and to take some stress off of the knees.
Beverly McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #178
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

knees out, butt back. A simple thought that I use to do all the stuff the last 2 posts talk about. Make your knees track out the same direction your feet face. Should clean things up.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:31 AM   #179
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Your knees are not out over your toes at the bottom of the lift. Use your butt to force your knees out wider. When your knee comes inward, it creates a sheer force on the inside of your knee, especially your left one which is the worst offender of the two. It's one thing to shimmy a knee once in a while on a big effort, but to do it consistently builds up wear and tear in one area and weakens it.

Also, you get forward on your toes more than you should. If you're going to squat high bar, your back needs to be more upright. As it is now, when the weight gets forward on you, you chase it to get back under it which also puts stress on the knees.

Just my .02
Thanks Mike, this makes sense as to why I hurt the inside of my knee in December so.
Appreciate you help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly McD View Post
Start with your break-out.
Right now, you're breaking with your knees slightly in front of the bar, and using your quad musces to break the weight up.
It sets you up to squat too much on your toes, which puts a ton of strain on the knees.

Instead, set your feet slightly wider, knees under the bar, butt slightly behind it. With your center gravity located on your heels and the outsides of your feet, flex your butt and hamstrings hard to break the weight.

This helps bring the butt and hams into play more. Bigger, stronger muscle groups to help you move the weight and to take some stress off of the knees.
Many thanks for your help Beverly , lots for me to work on here.
Appreciate you taking a look and letting me know your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
knees out, butt back. A simple thought that I use to do all the stuff the last 2 posts talk about. Make your knees track out the same direction your feet face. Should clean things up.
Roger that soldier

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:39 AM   #180
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Hey Alan, only just saw this. Three things which immediately pop out:

1) On the way down you're leaning into your right hand side. This is why I requested a vid from the front, each of those reps you can visibly see veers off to the right and then as you come back up you correct that. You need to concentrate on descending centrally, or even slightly to the left and do that until it looks better.

2) From the side view, each of the final reps shows a clear inclination to come up on your toes. Now, I don't necessarily agree with Bev/Soldier's viewpoint that you should start with your butt back. I think that will limit your depth and is more of a geared thing. I think you should carry on breaking at the knee, but if you're going to do that you MUST concentrate on pushing up from the bottom with your heels.

What might help you here is a slight raised heel. This will allow your knee to track forward more freely and might help you to sit back more. Possibly.

3) As MikeM said your knees can track forward and out. At the moment you're buckling somewhat and this could possibly be caused by knees not being pushed outwards. Push them out strongly and this should allow your hips to come inline with your torso and prevent you from tipping forward.

If you can't push your knees out, then take your stance IN a little. This will allow you more room to move your knees out as you need to on the descent.

Last edited by Fazc; 01-07-2013 at 03:42 AM.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote