Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Exercise Form
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Exercise Form Videos, articles and resources to help you with your squat, deadlift, bench press form and more.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:55 AM   #151
Pull14
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Fullbody
Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

Can't see it, so just make sure your getting those knees pushed out to the side. Going too wide can also cause some issues that flexibility won't fix, so be sure your using that happy medium.

How to get loose... stretch everything! You seem pretty damn tight. I wish I had a name for everything I used, but I don't. Just google stretches for the glutes, grion, hamstrings, hip flexors/extensors, etc. If you can feel it pull, push at it a bit! Also go to MobilityWOD.com and do a search for "hips," "deep squat" and the likes. A great resource.

Aside from that stuff, take some weight off the bar and try hard to hit depth with decent technique. Build up from there. If you don't acclimate yourself to correct depth, your body is just going to cut that rep higher and higher as the weight moves up to avoid that weak area/sticking point/potential injury.

Best,
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2012, 06:41 AM   #152
RobMoriRB
Max Brawn
Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Mutant Mass
RobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull14 View Post
Can't see it, so just make sure your getting those knees pushed out to the side. Going too wide can also cause some issues that flexibility won't fix, so be sure your using that happy medium.

How to get loose... stretch everything! You seem pretty damn tight. I wish I had a name for everything I used, but I don't. Just google stretches for the glutes, grion, hamstrings, hip flexors/extensors, etc. If you can feel it pull, push at it a bit! Also go to MobilityWOD.com and do a search for "hips," "deep squat" and the likes. A great resource.

Aside from that stuff, take some weight off the bar and try hard to hit depth with decent technique. Build up from there. If you don't acclimate yourself to correct depth, your body is just going to cut that rep higher and higher as the weight moves up to avoid that weak area/sticking point/potential injury.

Best,
KK thanks, yeah I think I will use 315 to reach depth...I always have to force the depth, I assume it is tight because We never do any good stretching to lossen the hips for ball.
Dead Lift: 501

GYM PR
Squat: 405
Bench: 285
Dead Lift: 475

Block Program:http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...ad.php?t=17576
BLOG:http://theanimalmethod.wordpress.com/
RobMoriRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:05 AM   #153
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Right now Rob you are doing what we call half squats. You get about halfway down and fold over. This is going to take it's toll on your knees and back. I don't know that hips or sumo are the solution. I think you have some major form issues that we need to fix first.

A parallel squat requires your hip crease to match, or sink past the top of your knee. The attached picture shows your squats at their deepest.

I agree with Pull. Take some weight off and try to get depth. I don't think you should be doing this with 315 though. You don't want to play around with depth and heavy weight, you're going to get injured...especially with your current form. I would use 135 pounds.

Also, some homework. Check out the squat videos on MAB before you head the to gym and work on things.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/vid...technique.html

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/vid...ew-videos.html

Also, next time you squat get a front or back view so we can check out your knees, feet, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rob.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	4616  

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:16 AM   #154
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I always hesitate to give form advise, but I will give you a tip that helped me a lot. Drop the pins down a notch. I don't know about anybody else, but I tend to watch where the bar is in relation to the pins as I squat. This usually forces me to bend forward in an attemt to get the bar closer to the pins (imaginary depth). Notice how your hips freeze but you keep reaching for the pins with the bar. By taking the pins out of the equation I was able to stay more upright and focus the depth of my hips rather than the depth of the bar.

Last edited by Off Road; 05-31-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #155
RobMoriRB
Max Brawn

RobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post

Also, next time you squat get a front or back view so we can check out your knees, feet, etc.
Will do....I use 225 for warm up an I hit the form good there...I will get a front shot of the squats 2morrow, for you guys then i Will post it here.

GYM PR

Old 06-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #156
RobMoriRB
Max Brawn

Any tips on the Squat?

GYM PR

Old 06-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #157
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

How about a NSFW tag on that video?
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #158
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

I'm not by any means the ultimate expert, but I have two suggestions to try out. Squats should be addressed by someone else who knows more, but your stance seems fairly wide to me. Maybe try narrowing it a little and see if that makes it easier to hit depth, wider stances can make the hips seize up.

For the deadlift, again narrow your stance or pull sumo. You want your feet under your hips or way out, this gets you closer to the bar, and reduces the amount of force you lose via sheering on the closer foot position. This force reduction is more easily dealt with in the sumo stance as you have a much shorter distance to pull in general.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #159
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

Rob, for your bench, get your feet out wider and either farther back or forward to prevent your butt from coming up. Drive off your heels, not your toes. Work on your arch, you don't have one. I couldn't watch anymore than the bench, the music shut me down.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #160
RobMoriRB
Max Brawn

Kk thanks for the advice I will try it on sunday I will have better music too