Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Exercise Form
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Exercise Form Videos, articles and resources to help you with your squat, deadlift, bench press form and more.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #421
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by notti668 View Post
Been following BTB's videos on Youtube for a good while now but never actually came here to see what the forum holds. Anyway, I might need some help with my deadlift form.

Below is a video of my third DL set (x5) of the day. After warmups (foam rolling, mobility work and other small things + several lighter DL sets) I felt great and ended up using approximately 90% of my 1RM on the working sets. Haven't worn any gear in ages and I prefer to do all my lifts raw. Once I watched the set from my camera I noticed that I have a slight lumbar flexion during the execution of the lift. Additionally the speed wasn't up to where it should be. After that third set I deloaded the bar and tried to concentrate on fixing the flexion but with no results. I'm aware that I have had the same problem in the past but I think it's finally time to work on it. Could you give any advices what should I do to have more neutral spine during the lift? If you watch closely, the back rounds a bit already when I grab the bar and pull my hips lower.

Could it be that the problem lies with my setup? I prefer to brace the core the Supple Leopard/Starrett-way. Due to my height and length of my limbs I place the bar several inches away from my shins. Getting my shins closer doesn't do a thing to the flexion and I feel way, way weaker during the lift than having the bar more away from me. Nowadays I concentrate going a bit lower with my hips just so I can use more leg drive in the beginning of the lift. It seems that my hips don't shoot up before the weight (apart from the last rep on the video) so I don't see any problem with it. I don't know if I should open up my chest even more before the actual lift but I fear that might put my hips too low. I'm aware that I don't always manage to keep my chin tucked with the heavier sets but I'm getting there training day after training day.

Is my mobility the limiting factor here? Usually I do mobility work every day and prior to DL day I spend roughly 10-15 minutes with my hip flexors the evening before the training day just to open them up more for the deadlifts.

Am I lost with the awareness of using my body or have I just created a poor technique by doing the same thing again and again? Pavel's advice of imaging having a tail and his cue about the wedge in the deadlift flattens the back but at the same time gives just temporary stability on the anterior core from the minor overextension of the spine. Additionally, using the wedge causes me to lose the bracing of the core.

Should I just concentrate on anterior core work (rollout variations, TRX exercises, reverse crunches, different bridging variations) even more from now on to strengthen the lower back and to keep it from rounding?

Am I chasing something I can't reach and thus overanalyzing things? Or should I use less weights for volume block's 5 rep sets in order to be better at controlling the lower back more? The minor lumbar flexion doesn't cause any pain and my CNS doesn't get fried due to those heavy sets so I can do them weekly without any problems.

Of course I'm aware that the problem could be part of all those things mentioned above.

If anyone spots any other mistakes in the video, feel free to comment. Any help is appreciated.

/watch?v=g4cjuSnaA6k

(the video is in youtube so add the site's address to the beginning of the URL above 'cause as a new user I wasn't able to post URL in my message)
Looks decent to me. You just need to make your back stronger and keep it tight so your leg drive doesn't pull you out of position. I can't tell from the video, but your stance may be too narrow which could contribute to your positioning issue.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #422
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn

afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuleje View Post
I am new to deadlifting, pls critique as much as u can, so i can fix it.

You need to create tension through your entire body before you begin the lift. You can't just grab the bar and pull. OK, well you CAN, but you shouldn't. Pull on the bar to remove any slack and to pull yourself to the bar before you begin the lift. This will create tension in your entire body. Once you have that tension, then begin your pull.

Also, get flat shoes or go barefoot.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #423
vuleje
New Brawn
Points: 903, Level: 16 Points: 903, Level: 16 Points: 903, Level: 16
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

vuleje is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
You need to create tension through your entire body before you begin the lift. You can't just grab the bar and pull. OK, well you CAN, but you shouldn't. Pull on the bar to remove any slack and to pull yourself to the bar before you begin the lift. This will create tension in your entire body. Once you have that tension, then begin your pull.

Also, get flat shoes or go barefoot.
Those are flat shoes, thanks for reply.
vuleje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:40 AM   #424
notti668
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

notti668 is off to a bad start

Quote:
Looks decent to me. You just need to make your back stronger and keep it tight so your leg drive doesn't pull you out of position. I can't tell from the video, but your stance may be too narrow which could contribute to your positioning issue.
Thanks for the feedback. Hammering my back more is on my to-do -list as I've come to realize how limited my pulls and even squats and bench presses are due to its weakness.

I doubt the stance is the cause for my problems with the deadlift. It's pretty close to my hip width. I've found that my glutes get activated the most with that kind of setup.

I presume I've found out the reasons for my slight lumbar flexion. The starting position for my hips isn't as optimal as it could be and it seems I don't know how to put force against the ground so I end up using too much of my lower back with the pull, even if I tried to concentrate on using more leg drive with the pull. During a couple of trial and error training sessions I noticed that I'm able to explode against the floor better if I do a rep of snatch grip DL prior to every normal grip DL set. I just need to mimic the setup and the feeling I have in my body when doing the snatch grip DL when I try to pull with a conventional grip width. Doing that one rep before every regular DL set is mandatory as I tend to lose the idea of how to put force into the ground when deadlifting the normal way. Surely the snatch grip limits the weights a lot but at this point I don't mind since obviously I need to re-teach my body how to work during the pull.

I was too lazy to browse through all the pages I could find with the search but what's your take on deficit deadlifts? I know Cressey speaks against them but on the other hand Ben Bruno advocates using those prior to regular deadlifts. I understand where Eric comes from with his comment but if you have the mobility, your back doesn't round, the deficit deadlift is used with moderate weights and you just focus on grooving the pattern/feeling certain parts of your body to activate, I don't see any problem in using them with your training.
notti668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #425
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by notti668 View Post

I presume I've found out the reasons for my slight lumbar flexion. The starting position for my hips isn't as optimal as it could be and it seems I don't know how to put force against the ground so I end up using too much of my lower back with the pull, even if I tried to concentrate on using more leg drive with the pull. During a couple of trial and error training sessions I noticed that I'm able to explode against the floor better if I do a rep of snatch grip DL prior to every normal grip DL set. I just need to mimic the setup and the feeling I have in my body when doing the snatch grip DL when I try to pull with a conventional grip width. Doing that one rep before every regular DL set is mandatory as I tend to lose the idea of how to put force into the ground when deadlifting the normal way. Surely the snatch grip limits the weights a lot but at this point I don't mind since obviously I need to re-teach my body how to work during the pull.

I was too lazy to browse through all the pages I could find with the search but what's your take on deficit deadlifts? I know Cressey speaks against them but on the other hand Ben Bruno advocates using those prior to regular deadlifts. I understand where Eric comes from with his comment but if you have the mobility, your back doesn't round, the deficit deadlift is used with moderate weights and you just focus on grooving the pattern/feeling certain parts of your body to activate, I don't see any problem in using them with your training.
Deficit deadlifts taught my body how to use leg drive properly. Because I had to drop my hips lower to get in proper position, I was able to feel my legs getting into the lift. Now I do almost all of my speed work from a deficit of either 1.5" or 3". At my training session the other day, people were telling me that my deadlifts are flying off of the floor explosively, even with weight that was near my max. This was not the case for me 9 months ago. I could lockout much heavier weight than I could break off of the floor. I have put roughly 150lbs on my deadlift since then. I attribute much of that progress to the deficit deadlift.

Your back is tighter during a snatch grip DL, and you also have to get your hips lower to the floor to get in proper position. I used to have the same two issues. Just keep practicing focusing on those two things. You will get there.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #426
Mrinda87
Brawn
Points: 1,133, Level: 18 Points: 1,133, Level: 18 Points: 1,133, Level: 18

Fav Exercise: Overhead press
Mrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good posts
Default Squat form.... http://youtu.be/o82lEzVNVq8

Looking for some feedback on my squat form. Been squatting less than a year and this way of squatting feels the most natural to me (narrow grip.. Pointer finger right before the smooth part, about shoulder width stance). I guess it would be considered an Olympic style squat. I can't post links here because I'm new but the URL is in the title. Also as I get fatigued my right leg caves a bit as you can see in my last rep caving then me pushing it out. Why is this and how can I work on it?
Mrinda87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #427
Adamite1114
Max Brawn
Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30

Training Exp: on and off 7 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Squats
Fav Supp: Phosflex
Adamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributor
Default Adamite Squat Form

So I know it's a smith machine. but it's a free-motion smith machine and it's the best that my gym can do. When I am a week out from my meet I will pay a daily fee at a more expensive gym to use a real squat rack. I'm seven weeks out right now.

Adamite1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #428
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamite1114 View Post
So I know it's a smith machine. but it's a free-motion smith machine and it's the best that my gym can do. When I am a week out from my meet I will pay a daily fee at a more expensive gym to use a real squat rack. I'm seven weeks out right now.

I used to live in Sam Diego. www.worldgymsandiego.com is in Pacific Beach and $10 for a day pass. If I were you, I would beg borrow or steal to get $10/wk. I have used that smith before. It does too much of the stabilizing for you, you will be weaker than you expect on the free squat on meet day as a result. 7 weeks is still plenty of time.

As far as your form, it looks ok I guess but to be honest I really don't know on that machine.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #429
Adamite1114
Max Brawn
Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30

Training Exp: on and off 7 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Squats
Fav Supp: Phosflex
Adamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
I used to live in Sam Diego. www.worldgymsandiego.com is in Pacific Beach and $10 for a day pass. If I were you, I would beg borrow or steal to get $10/wk. I have used that smith before. It does too much of the stabilizing for you, you will be weaker than you expect on the free squat on meet day as a result. 7 weeks is still plenty of time.

As far as your form, it looks ok I guess but to be honest I really don't know on that machine.
I know the gym you're talking about. The one I'm at now is $10/wk. There's another gym that closer to me and maybe a week or two out from my meet I'm gonna pay $15 to train squats there. It's so annoying that my gym has free barbells for bench and deadlift but then no squat rack.
Adamite1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #430
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamite1114 View Post

I'd like to see more angles. Much of what's going on is hard to see. I can, however, tell you that those elbows are a big problem. You're currently doing what a lot of people do, which is creating a shelf for the bar by lifting your elbows sky high and pointing them behind you. You need to come at this from a different perspective. Tighten your back, pull your elbows tight to your sides and use your back muscles to hold the bar. I use a low bar hold and I actually feel like the bar is sitting on the top of my lats.

Here's a good example of how it looks below. Yes, it's awkward and yes, it feels like the bar is going to fall off your back and it takes every bit of your focus to keep your back tight enough to hold the bar in place.

It's one of those things that you think doesn't matter, and when you try to change it you think you're wasting your time and you'll never lift as much that way as you could before, but then one day you get everything right and it just clicks.

Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote