Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Exercise Form
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Exercise Form Videos, articles and resources to help you with your squat, deadlift, bench press form and more.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #31
Pull14
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Fullbody
Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

Good work Brute.

For the back squats, I'd go with what BTB has mentioned. Really push those knees out to the side. Also put a little less effort into sitting back. Instead, let your knees move forward a bit more. For the raw lifter, just a little pop of the hips before going down is often better than sitting way back. A closer stance may also help.

Sitting back way to much with little forward knee movement is keeping the bar behind your heels as a result your turning the squat into a GM and your lower back begins to round.

For the front squats, you are also putting way to much emphasis on sitting back. Let the knees come forward, a lot more. This will allow your back to stay more upright and the bar to stay over your heels/mid-foot. What your doing now, the back angle resembles that of your back squat. Not an issue now, but as the weight gets heavier you'll lean forward to much and lose the bar. If you have no knee issues, instead of initiating the lift with you hips, start the lift by pushing the knees over the feet and let everything else move down naturally. If there is some knee pain or initiating the the lift with the knees causes discomfort, do as I suggested with the back squat... just a pop of the hips and let the knees move forward from there.

If your having issues getting the knees forward, look into some olympic weightlifting shoes or work on ankle flexibility.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by Pull14; 08-01-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2011, 10:17 PM   #32
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Thanks for all the insight Steve. I'll narrow the squat stance a bit, narrower is a bit more comfortable for me so I'll definitely give that a try and I'll be focusing on my knees.

As for the RDL, my lower back stays pretty tight, but I'll keep an eye on it next session and be sure I don't let it go near the bottom. I'll focus on keeping the bar closer in and try sticking my butt back a little more and see if that helps.

Thanks again for the help!
bruteforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:25 AM   #33
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

Hey guys!
Here is a deadlift video, the most obvious thing I can see is my hips move before the bar starts moving and I hitched a bit just before lockout. Its also a bit ugly ahha.

Also sorry about it being sideways.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #34
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Spart...congrats on the PR. I see some things that we need to help you fix. Your hips are coming up and you're losing leverage. You would be able to pull more if we get this ironed out.

Do you concentrate on leading the lift with the head? I see when you tug on the bar your hips come up and your eyes go down. This is a sign to me that you're not leading with the head, but rather trying to pull the bar off the ground.

Think about standing up instead of pulling the bar off the ground. Standing is a natural movement that forces you to lead with the head, and generally helps you to keep better leverage. On the other hand, when you focus on pulling the bar off the ground, the hips tend to shoot up.

Think...stand up with the bar in my hands; lead with the head.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #35
Spartigus
Max Brawn

Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Spart...congrats on the PR. I see some things that we need to help you fix. Your hips are coming up and you're losing leverage. You would be able to pull more if we get this ironed out.

Do you concentrate on leading the lift with the head? I see when you tug on the bar your hips come up and your eyes go down. This is a sign to me that you're not leading with the head, but rather trying to pull the bar off the ground.

Think about standing up instead of pulling the bar off the ground. Standing is a natural movement that forces you to lead with the head, and generally helps you to keep better leverage. On the other hand, when you focus on pulling the bar off the ground, the hips tend to shoot up.

Think...stand up with the bar in my hands; lead with the head.
Thanks! That was an ahhh moment! It makes a lot more sense than trying to pull it off the ground. I just want to try it tomorrow at the gym lol.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Old 08-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #36
Pull14
Max Brawn

Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

Nice PR Spart. BTB is on point. Lead with the head and keep your chest up (broad-flexed chest)!!! This will help correct some of the rounding lower back.

As for the hips moving before the bar, two suggestions:
1 - Start off at a higher position.
2 - On the start of the lift, think about pushing your feet through the floor.

The higher hip position from the start is a stronger position to get your legs involved with the lift. Much like a parallel squat vs. a quarter squat. Quarter squat is stronger because the leverages are better (short ROM too). Start to low with a heavy DL and your end up having the hips fly up.

Now with that stronger start position, thinking about pushing your feet through the floor will get you legs involved and insure that hips don't rise to fast. These two suggestions along with the lead with head, keep chest up, will get rid of the rounding lower back.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:22 PM   #37
Spartigus
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull14 View Post
Nice PR Spart. BTB is on point. Lead with the head and keep your chest up (broad-flexed chest)!!! This will help correct some of the rounding lower back.

As for the hips moving before the bar, two suggestions:
1 - Start off at a higher position.
2 - On the start of the lift, think about pushing your feet through the floor.

The higher hip position from the start is a stronger position to get your legs involved with the lift. Much like a parallel squat vs. a quarter squat. Quarter squat is stronger because the leverages are better (short ROM too). Start to low with a heavy DL and your end up having the hips fly up.

Now with that stronger start position, thinking about pushing your feet through the floor will get you legs involved and insure that hips don't rise to fast. These two suggestions along with the lead with head, keep chest up, will get rid of the rounding lower back.
Thanks! That makes a lot of sense

These tips you and Steve are giving me, do they also apply to high pulls?

Old 08-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #38
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartigus View Post
Thanks! That makes a lot of sense

These tips you and Steve are giving me, do they also apply to high pulls?
Generally, yes.

High pulls you probably won't have the hip RDLing issue. When high pulling you will almost instinctively lead with the head. It's actually a good way to understand how to pull the deadlift. Unless you are doing snatch grip high pulls.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #39
Pull14
Max Brawn

Same tips can apply to the high pulls but because the load will be much lighter, you shouldn't come across to many issues in the initial pull. On another note, the high pull is very similar to a power clean, just you want to pull a bit higher without catching the bar.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #40
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

PushPress. Not maximal weight, but still feels pretty heavy to me. A couple notes. Before today, I had used a much wider grip on the bar, pinkies on the power ring. This was leading to an inward tilt of the forearms at the bottom and I think is how I hurt my shoulder. This grip didn't bother my shoulder at all, but I still would like to hear what all of you think and what I can do better.

bruteforce is online now   Reply With Quote