Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Exercise Form
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Exercise Form Videos, articles and resources to help you with your squat, deadlift, bench press form and more.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:33 AM   #381
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohiz View Post
Yeah, I've always used a thumbless grip. I'll give the normal grip a try next time. I have a feeling it might actually also help me. I was in fact trying to look more upwards in that set, but as they say... old habits die hard. Need to try to keep the elbows down, too, to see how it feels.
Good choice on going with the narrow stance. It is a better squat for you.

To force yourself to keep your head up, try picking a spot on the ceiling and staying focused on that.

Elbows down feels wierd at first. I had to bring the bar up my back in order to get it right without feeling the bar was going to roll off of my back. I ended up somewhere in between a low and high bar squat, resting it right on top of my scapula in the middle of my traps. It feels natural there. I barely have to grip the bar and it still doesn't roll on me as long as I am tight and properly braced.

Good luck.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #382
mohiz
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1 yrs
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: creatine, beta-alanine
mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor

Today I tried all your tips with my squat session. I'm very happy with how it turned out. At least I don't think anyone can question the depth :

Thanks so much for your help Soldier, afraziaaaa and BendtheBar, and also Beverly McD and even Cody_Snider, and I really mean it. I still wasn't really able to hold the elbows down, or get my gaze up, and the bar felt really uncomfortable at the higher position. I think these are things that will only be solved by practice though. I'll keep improving.

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF

Last edited by mohiz; 09-23-2013 at 06:42 AM.
mohiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #383
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Nice!
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #384
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Nice work, you buried it!
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:33 AM   #385
mohiz
Uber Brawn

mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor

Been workin' on ma' sqats some more. What do you think of the depth? From the first angle it looks like I'm shallow, but if you skip to 0:50 from the side it looks like I'm going SUPER deep, with plenty to spare.

I even took 2 videos from the back and 2 from the side. Both of the side shots looked very good, while the back shots looked shallow. Is it just because of the angle...? Surely my form can't be that inconsistent..?

(!WARNING! Includes music)

What's the word on knees out vs. knees forward? I find I'm weaker if I thrust the knees out. I think my knees may already be enough "out" naturally? Or is it just that when the knees are forward, I'm not going as deep?

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF

Last edited by mohiz; 09-30-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #386
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
What's the word on knees out vs. knees forward? I find I'm weaker if I thrust the knees out. I think my knees may already be enough "out" naturally? Or is it just that when the knees are forward, I'm not going as deep?
Your knees look to be out enough in the videos. I only push the knee out cue to people who haven't even thought about it yet. Honestly, if you look at the biggest squatters they really don't push their knees out that much. But just so you know, pushing the knees out tends to change what muscles are doing the work. That's why it feels weaker at first.

I think the reason for the depth difference is camera angle. If you want the best view for depth then try to put the camera at knee height.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #387
mohiz
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
I think the reason for the depth difference is camera angle. If you want the best view for depth then try to put the camera at knee height.
I think you're correct; comparing the distance between the plates and the safety bars in the bottom seems to indicate that the depth is indeed the same.

So do you think this would be an adequate depth (parallel or below)?

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF
Old 09-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #388
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
I think you're correct; comparing the distance between the plates and the safety bars in the bottom seems to indicate that the depth is indeed the same.

So do you think this would be an adequate depth (parallel or below)?
I'm the wrong person to ask, but it looks good to me! Anyone with more competition experience want to chime in here?
Old 10-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #389
Beverly McD
Max Brawn
Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: Since 1987
Beverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machine

Looked fine to me.
Beverly McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #390
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

depth is fine. I think the last rep from the back angle may have been a little shallow, but in general you are definitely going deep enough IMO
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote