Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Exercise Form
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Exercise Form Videos, articles and resources to help you with your squat, deadlift, bench press form and more.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #321
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
Form Check.

Looked good.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #322
The_Big_Sleep
Epigenetically Gifted
Max Brawn
Points: 2,330, Level: 29 Points: 2,330, Level: 29 Points: 2,330, Level: 29
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
The_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machine

The_Big_Sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #323
OneMorePlate
Max Brawn
Points: 4,036, Level: 40 Points: 4,036, Level: 40 Points: 4,036, Level: 40
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Supp: Red Meat
OneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master member

Big Sleep: Conventional/ Pull yourself down in position this will do 2 things; Puts tension in the lats/takes slack out of the bar 2) makes your shoulders rise with your hips. First see how this changes your conventional before I'll offer anything else
OneMorePlate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #324
OneMorePlate
Max Brawn

OneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master member

Would need to see side view too on sumo's but will offer initially the same advice while your going down to the bar you have tension on your quads but are pulling yourself into position with your lats, then explode and drive hips forward.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #325
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMorePlate View Post
Big Sleep: Conventional/ Pull yourself down in position this will do 2 things; Puts tension in the lats/takes slack out of the bar 2) makes your shoulders rise with your hips. First see how this changes your conventional before I'll offer anything else
This. Not being tight before you pull is your most glaring weakness. It could be causing other problems for you as well, but there is no way to tell until you correct it.

As far as your sumo goes, I would say it's no good. Your feet are not wide enough. This is preventing you from squatting down to the bar so you can keep your chest up properly. You are basically slumped over when you begin the pull. Here also, you need to take the slack out of the bar and tighten up your back, but the biggest issue is widening your stance so you can drop your hips correctly. Think getting into the hole of a squat. Look up at the videos posted right before yours. That is me pulling sumo looking like big-bird in the yellow shirt. I am no sumo technician, but I think it is pretty good. If you watch the video, you will see what I mean about squatting down to the bar and keeping your chest up. A good cue for you on this might be to look up at a 45 degree angle.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #326
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Sleep...just adding.

I usually grab the bar, straighten arms and get my torso as upright as possible to take the slack out of the bar. Then I sink hips.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #327
The_Big_Sleep
Epigenetically Gifted
Max Brawn
Points: 2,330, Level: 29 Points: 2,330, Level: 29 Points: 2,330, Level: 29
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
The_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machine

Quote:
Quote:
Would need to see side view too on sumo's but will offer initially the same advice while your going down to the bar you have tension on your quads but are pulling yourself into position with your lats, then explode and drive hips forward.
Thanks 1MR, I will work on this and re-post vids

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
This. Not being tight before you pull is your most glaring weakness. It could be causing other problems for you as well, but there is no way to tell until you correct it.

As far as your sumo goes, I would say it's no good. Your feet are not wide enough. This is preventing you from squatting down to the bar so you can keep your chest up properly. You are basically slumped over when you begin the pull. Here also, you need to take the slack out of the bar and tighten up your back, but the biggest issue is widening your stance so you can drop your hips correctly. Think getting into the hole of a squat. Look up at the videos posted right before yours. That is me pulling sumo looking like big-bird in the yellow shirt. I am no sumo technician, but I think it is pretty good. If you watch the video, you will see what I mean about squatting down to the bar and keeping your chest up. A good cue for you on this might be to look up at a 45 degree angle.
Thanks man, also FWIW, I wasn't doing "sumo" deads in that video, they were "semi-sumo" so I know my feet weren't as wide as you thought they should have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Sleep...just adding.

I usually grab the bar, straighten arms and get my torso as upright as possible to take the slack out of the bar. Then I sink hips.
Got it, will implement that cue instead of what Ive been doing
The_Big_Sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:42 AM   #328
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Big_Sleep View Post

Thanks man, also FWIW, I wasn't doing "sumo" deads in that video, they were "semi-sumo" so I know my feet weren't as wide as you thought they should have been.
Word. Sorry if I came off a bit harsh, didn't mean to drag you down. I'm not sure why you are doing the semi-sumo? I think you should scrap it and just go all the way sumo unless there is something preventing you from doing so.

Good luck brother.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:05 AM   #329
mohiz
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1 yrs
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: creatine, beta-alanine
mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor

Might I ask for critique on my deadlift PR set of 5? Here's the vid:

I feel like I've finally found the Holy Grail of Deadlifting (tm). When I bend down to pick up the bar, I bend my back like a scaredy cat, and then from that position squeeze my ass tight, thus straightening my lower back, and pull. It feels GREAT, with absolutely no pain anywhere, unlike when I used to really hyperextend and arch my back. Now I just let it be in whatever position it wants. Instead of thinkin' 'bout pushing down on the floor, I'm imagining thrusting the hips forwards.

Looking at the video, it doesn't look very good but what do I know? That's why I'm asking Note that as I said, this was also a PR, so it was really at my limits, so of course the form is not perfect.

Last edited by mohiz; 08-19-2013 at 06:09 AM.
mohiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #330
OneMorePlate
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohiz View Post
Might I ask for critique on my deadlift PR set of 5? Here's the vid:

I feel like I've finally found the Holy Grail of Deadlifting (tm). When I bend down to pick up the bar, I bend my back like a scaredy cat, and then from that position squeeze my ass tight, thus straightening my lower back, and pull. It feels GREAT, with absolutely no pain anywhere, unlike when I used to really hyperextend and arch my back. Now I just let it be in whatever position it wants. Instead of thinkin' 'bout pushing down on the floor, I'm imagining thrusting the hips forwards.

Looking at the video, it doesn't look very good but what do I know? That's why I'm asking Note that as I said, this was also a PR, so it was really at my limits, so of course the form is not perfect.
Very solid form just need to fix your head position it should be neutral., Eyes should be looking forward from the start of the pull this will also give your hip a bit lower starting point(more leverage). Sound like you preloaded the bar sometimes on a couple could see the torso pause while hips were rising. Vid makes your lower back look like its slightly rounded rather than arched, not sure. In addition to the hips shooting forward focus on lifting the chest up quickly.

Last edited by OneMorePlate; 08-19-2013 at 07:28 AM.