Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Exercise Form

Notices

Exercise Form Videos, articles and resources to help you with your squat, deadlift, bench press form and more.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #281
PhillyDev
Low man on the totem pole
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Amateur Surgeon Champion!
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: A heavy one.
PhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machine

It looks ok from the side. You still need to get that upper back tight. Pull tour elbows down hard, and think about bendin the bar across your back with your lats, and arch. I can't tell much else because of the angle. Hope this helps.
PhillyDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2013, 02:10 AM   #282
lua
New Brawn
Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1

lua has made some quality postslua has made some quality postslua has made some quality postslua has made some quality postslua has made some quality postslua has made some quality posts

I changed a few things with my squat:
- the bar is now higher. I feel that helps me pushing against it (also with my neck) out of the hole in stead of coming forwards with my knees
- I cue myself with "knees out. sit down" in stead of "sit back. knees out". As a consequence my knees are a tad in front of my toes, but it feels better and easier. Other than that I set myself up before each rep with "chest up, pull bar, upper back tight, arch lower back, breathe in belly, core tight". Anything I might be missing?

My knees cave in a little bit out of the hole, do you think this is fine for working sets? (It doesnt happen with lower weight)

Thanks!

lua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:44 AM   #283
Tomsen
New Brawn
Points: 617, Level: 12 Points: 617, Level: 12 Points: 617, Level: 12
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1/2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: cheeeeese!
Tomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good posts
Default Squat and Deadlift session

Hey guys!

Made some videos of my squat and deadlift session today.
I tried to go deeper on my squat, also set up a low box for my last set (failed on second rep, but ok ;-) )

I found that on my deadlifts I move my hips up to high before the bar leaves the floor. Have to fix that next time.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

BR from Austria

Squat 1 (rear view 110kg x3):

Squat 2 (110kg x3):

Low Box Squat (110kg x1):

Deadlift 1 (110kg x6):

Deadlift 2 (120kg x3):

Deadlift 3 (130kg x3):

Last edited by Tomsen; 05-19-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Tomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:20 AM   #284
lua
New Brawn
Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1

lua has made some quality postslua has made some quality postslua has made some quality postslua has made some quality postslua has made some quality postslua has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsen View Post
Hey guys!

Made some videos of my squat and deadlift session today.
I tried to go deeper on my squat, also set up a low box for my last set (failed on second rep, but ok ;-) )

I found that on my deadlifts I move my hips up to high before the bar leaves the floor. Have to fix that next time.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.
Hey, unfortunately there is little traffic in this thread, so I'm just gonna give you my thoughts even though I'm not an expert (in fact I'm waiting for replies on my form here too). Anyways, I'm quite confident in the following points for what it's worth:
- squats: you just dont hit proper depth and seem to good-morning the weight quite a bit. So, I'd just lower the weight until you can do it right.
- deadlifts: seem good too me except that you seem to maybe slightly overextend at lockout. I dont think your hips can be too high as long as your back remains straight, but I might be wrong about this (maybe someone more experienced can correct me if necessary).

I wonder why you use a belt, cause I've been thinking about whether to use one and if so when to start using one.
lua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #285
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Tomsen, Try to be extreme when it comes to pushing your knees out while squatting. You're really not even close to where you need to be, and that's why you're having depth issues. Put a fairly light weight on the bar and push your knees out as hard and as far as possible. Small changes give small results. Make BIG changes, then see what works and dial things back if necesary. Focus on taking your knees out as hard as possible, then move forward from there.

As for your deadlift, your hips are raising as you start the lift. Normally this is happens because someone has their hips to low to start, but this isn't the case with you. Your setup is good.

I've got 2 things I want you to try with your deadlift. The first is to do something called "taking the slack out of the bar". It's true that you aren't lifting enough yet to actually make the bar bend, but this idea still works very well. As you lower your butt into your starting position, lift up on the bar a little. The feeling will be like you are using the bar to pull yourself down. The first time I did this it built so much tension that my warmup weight actually pulled off the floor before I intended to start the lift.

The next thing I'd like you to try is to think about leading with your head. Don't think about lifting the weight. Just think about standing up, with your head leading the way.

If you combine these 2 thoughts, you should find that your form looks very different, and your butt isn't rising nearly as high when you pull.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #286
Tomsen
New Brawn
Points: 617, Level: 12 Points: 617, Level: 12 Points: 617, Level: 12
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1/2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Supp: cheeeeese!
Tomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good posts

Dear Soldier,

thanks a lot for your critique and the detailled advice you gave me! I will try your suggestions right at my next session!

BR
Tomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #287
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lua View Post

My knees cave in a little bit out of the hole, do you think this is fine for working sets?
Looks good. Well done.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #288
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsen View Post
Hey guys!
I suggest trying to bring your stance in a bit. Right now it's really wide and I think you need to being it into more of a conventional stance. You'll fair better.

Start with a natural width and use the quarter trick I taught you.

Deadlifts...you're not leading with the head. You're also not resetting your form after every rep, and they are turning into stiff leg deadlifts.

Think about standing up while pulling the bar back towards your body.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #289
mhurley8594
Young 'Un
New Brawn
Points: 161, Level: 3 Points: 161, Level: 3 Points: 161, Level: 3
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Overhead Press
Fav Supp: Coffee
mhurley8594 has made some good postsmhurley8594 has made some good postsmhurley8594 has made some good postsmhurley8594 has made some good postsmhurley8594 has made some good postsmhurley8594 has made some good postsmhurley8594 has made some good postsmhurley8594 has made some good postsmhurley8594 has made some good posts
Default Dead/Squat Form Check

Just recorded my deadlift today. I think my light set is fine, but when I ramp the weight up it turns into an SDL and puts a lot of pressure on my lower back. I'm afraid that I'm going to hurt myself.

Also, if anyone has any advice on my squat I would deeply appreciate it. I need to work on my mobility with foam rolling and stretching to alleviate that lower back rounding.

mhurley8594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #290
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

I am by no means an authority, but here is what I noticed. You are doing much of the lift with your back. You must have a strong back, which is good, to not be in pain. I would like to see you driving though the hips down to your heals, rather than lifting up from the hips and then standing. Does that make sense? I just don't see much drive up, just more of a hip hinge.

Squat video wouldn't work.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote