Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Exercise Form
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Exercise Form Videos, articles and resources to help you with your squat, deadlift, bench press form and more.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #261
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

My apologies for offering form advice, in my previous post in this thread.

Don't know what I was thinking. Not much, I guess.

Anyway, hopefully that link will be useful, for someone out there. Otherwise, it's probably best to just ignore the entire post.

In future, I'll stick to learning, posting random @&$%, and just getting better at lifting over time. Until I'm advanced enough to be giving advice, that is. Even then, I can see how easy it is for almost anyone to go astray...
Old 05-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #262
PhillyDev
Low man on the totem pole
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: A heavy one.
PhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
My apologies for offering form advice, in my previous post in this thread.

Don't know what I was thinking. Not much, I guess.

Anyway, hopefully that link will be useful, for someone out there. Otherwise, it's probably best to just ignore the entire post.

In future, I'll stick to learning, posting random @&$%, and just getting better at lifting over time. Until I'm advanced enough to be giving advice, that is. Even then, I can see how easy it is for almost anyone to go astray...
I don't think anyone is jumping on you specifically, it's more of a general statement to those who don't really know a whole lot in regards to form and training.
PhillyDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #263
davez
Brawn
Points: 1,250, Level: 19 Points: 1,250, Level: 19 Points: 1,250, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
davez is new to the forumdavez is new to the forum

Yeah, I'm sure you had the best intentions but is best to leave this stuff to the experts.
davez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:26 AM   #264
lua
New Brawn
Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1

lua has made some quality postslua has made some quality postslua has made some quality postslua has made some quality postslua has made some quality postslua has made some quality posts

Hi guys,
thanks again for your feedback. I did a workout yesterday. It didnt involve any working sets on squats, I just did one set with light weight (50kg) trying to focus on pushing against the bar from out of the hole. I used a slightly narrower stance, but going even narrower would feel weird. Maybe I gotta have my feet pointing out more for that.

It would be cool if you guys could also comment on my deadlift. In the video I do 95kg which I never did before and it felt very ok. I wonder if it's fine to take a few seconds between reps; I do it to re-set and importantly to take a breath.

Your forum/community really seems great and helpful; I checked out a few other forums and they often seemed very dogmatic or even purposely unfriendly.

Thanks in advance!
lua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #265
PhillyDev
Low man on the totem pole
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: A heavy one.
PhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machine

Squat looks better, I don't see your knees coming in, or folding over. It is however a lighter weight. When it gets heavy is when form starts to break down. But practice makes perfect. Your pull, again, not bad. I would just work on keeping your hips down at the beginning, yours are coming up first thing. Think about squatting the weigh up, and as in the squat arch hard and stay tight. Hope this helps.
PhillyDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:57 AM   #266
lua
New Brawn

lua has made some quality postslua has made some quality postslua has made some quality postslua has made some quality postslua has made some quality postslua has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDev View Post
Your pull, again, not bad. I would just work on keeping your hips down at the beginning, yours are coming up first thing. Think about squatting the weigh up, and as in the squat arch hard and stay tight. Hope this helps.
You're right about the hips. I'll try the squatting cue. Thanks for your feedback!
Old 05-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #267
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Head drive/bar drive on squats looked better, but like PD mentioned, it's easy to do that with a lighter weight. Keep working on it with your heavier sets.

Deadlifts you are sitting down way too far before pulling. This is why your hips are coming up. They are not in a good leverage position. Before each rep try raising your hips then sinking them to an optimal "feeling" leverage position. Then pull.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #268
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Lua, to add to what BTB said about your deadlifts, most people who are learning to deadlift start with their hips to low. This is usually because they've been told over and over that you have to sit way down to protect your lower back. But it's simply not possible to deadlift with your hips that low. Your knees will get in the way, and it's generally not the best position to take advantage of the strength of the lower back, glutes, and hamstrings.

Most fitness magazines tell you to start like this;

If you're lifting with a trap bar then you can totally pull this off, but it's not going to work with a normal barbell, and it isn't the way to pull the most weight anyways.

Here's the best deadlifter in the world, breaking all the rules you'll read in men's fitness;

His butt is not sticking in the air, but it's also not low. It's right in between. Also, his head isn't up. The less bends in the spine the better, which is why he's looking towards the ground in front of him and NOT up like you see in most pictures touting "good form".

He also has an absolutely perfect hip hinge, which means his hips are tilted forwards and his pelvis is facing the ground in front of him. THIS is what protects the lower back and allows you to access the strength of the entire posterior chain. People talk about an arched back, but having a good arch is a byproduct of a good hip hinge. The hips are the key.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #269
lua
New Brawn

BTB and Soldier, thanks for your advice. The pictures really helped me get the point.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #270
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lua View Post
BTB and Soldier, thanks for your advice. The pictures really helped me get the point.
Of course.

Before I commited myself to powerlifting I was way into golf. I used to do swing analysis on a golf forum. A golf swing makes a deadlift look like the simplest thing in the world, and I realized that the only way to get the more complicated aspects across was with pictures.

I'm also a visual learner. It makes sense when I see it.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote