Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Exercise Form
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Exercise Form Videos, articles and resources to help you with your squat, deadlift, bench press form and more.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #251
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

IMO you need to bring your stance in. Your knees are caving because you don't have the flexibility to externally rotate your hips enough, especially with your toes pointing forward. Bring your stance to shoulder width, keep your chest up and try to bounce out of the bottom rather than pausing down there.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #252
NIKOLIC
Brawn
Points: 809, Level: 15 Points: 809, Level: 15 Points: 809, Level: 15
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
NIKOLIC has made some good postsNIKOLIC has made some good postsNIKOLIC has made some good postsNIKOLIC has made some good postsNIKOLIC has made some good postsNIKOLIC has made some good postsNIKOLIC has made some good postsNIKOLIC has made some good postsNIKOLIC has made some good postsNIKOLIC has made some good postsNIKOLIC has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Your knees are caving because you don't have the flexibility to externally rotate your hips enough, especially with your toes pointing forward.
Forgot to mention this.
NIKOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #253
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKOLIC View Post
If your goal is to get a bigger squat, set the bar lower on your back, and not on your traps.
This is incorrect advice. There are a ton of high bar squatters, including myself and Eric Lilliebridge.

I advise anyone posting in this thread to know what they don't know. Book knowledge and Internet knowledge alone are limiting.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 05-02-2013 at 09:32 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #254
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:

After the first rep you start leaning forward, and thus changing your center of gravity forward which causes you to lean forward a bit.
Just an FYI that leaning forward is not the cause of leaning forward, it's a symptom that something is wrong causing you to lean more forward.

The bar stays over the foot during the descent which is good. I would advise him to bring his stance in a hair and work on power - driving the shoulders into the bar from the hole, and driving the hips forward to lockout.

The basics of your form are good. The forward lean is minimal. Your hips are coming up a bit before your head. I would definitely work on driving up into the bar out of the hole. You have to fight the bar as much as possible.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 05-02-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #255
NIKOLIC
Brawn
Points: 809, Level: 15 Points: 809, Level: 15 Points: 809, Level: 15

Training Type: Fullbody
NIKOLIC has made some good postsNIKOLIC has made some good postsNIKOLIC has made some good postsNIKOLIC has made some good postsNIKOLIC has made some good postsNIKOLIC has made some good postsNIKOLIC has made some good postsNIKOLIC has made some good postsNIKOLIC has made some good postsNIKOLIC has made some good postsNIKOLIC has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
This is incorrect advice. There are a ton of high bar squatters, including myself and Eric Lilliebridge.

I advise anyone posting in this thread to know what they don't know. Book knowledge and Internet knowledge alone are limiting.
I myself am a high bar squatter, and I'm pretty sure that if I changed to a low bar squat I would have better numbers.I'm pretty sure this is true for all beginners, not so sure about top lifters like yourself and Eric.Correct me if I'm wrong.
NIKOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #256
lua
New Brawn
Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1

lua has made some quality postslua has made some quality postslua has made some quality postslua has made some quality postslua has made some quality postslua has made some quality posts

Thank you all for the replies and advice!

I used to do low-bar, but recently switched to some sort of middling position. It just feels better because I can keep my torso more upright.

I'm gonna give a shoulder-wide stance a try later today. And leading with head/shoulders out of the hole.
lua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #257
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lua View Post
Thank you all for the replies and advice!

I used to do low-bar, but recently switched to some sort of middling position. It just feels better because I can keep my torso more upright.

I'm gonna give a shoulder-wide stance a try later today. And leading with head/shoulders out of the hole.
I was avoiding a reply because the feedback is a little all over the place. I will give you my thoughts and take them or leave them, its up to you.

1. a lower bar will most likely cause more of a lean. I dont think the bar position is an issue. I would really like to see you drive your shoulders into the bar more, and keep the elbows pulled more down.

2. The upward transition is causing some knee cave (you already knew this) this is a 2 fold issue. One you have to really force yourself to keep them out, and 2 it shows a weak point for you.

3. Hard to tell your foot position, but at a minimum I would like to see you point them out some more.

4. the butt wink, over rated....wouldnt worry too much about it. Fix the other issues first. No need to over think this.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #258
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Here is a quote from Louie Simmons that also expresses the same sentiment I was trying to convey:

"We see many lifters get bowed over coming up from a squat because they push with their feet first instead of their head. We are trying to raise the bar, so why not push against the bar first?"

Old 05-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #259
PhillyDev
Low man on the totem pole
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27

Fav Exercise: A heavy one.
PhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machine

Quote:
I myself am a high bar squatter, and I'm pretty sure that if I changed to a low bar squat I would have better numbers.I'm pretty sure this is true for all beginners, not so sure about top lifters like yourself and Eric.Correct me if I'm wrong.
Bar position is irrelevant. I think it's an ok squat. It looks like hip mobility is an issue taking his knees in and bringing him a little knees over toes. If you want to squat wide make sure your hips are loosey goosy. Check out the earlier pages of he mobilitywod. If not bring your feet in, as others have pointed out. As for folding over, it's all of the above, keep your upper back tight, drive into the bar arch you back hard and stay tight the entire time. If you still fold, do some heavy core, and lower back work. In beginners we see this as a very prevalent issue and the weights get heavier.
PhillyDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #260
PhillyDev
Low man on the totem pole
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27

Fav Exercise: A heavy one.
PhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Here is a quote from Louie Simmons that also expresses the same sentiment I was trying to convey:

"We see many lifters get bowed over coming up from a squat because they push with their feet first instead of their head. We are trying to raise the bar, so why not push against the bar first?"
Very good point. I am reminded every Saturday, look up, lead with your chest and chin. Never NEVER look down.
PhillyDev is offline   Reply With Quote