Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Exercise Form

Notices

Exercise Form Videos, articles and resources to help you with your squat, deadlift, bench press form and more.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #161
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMoriRB View Post

Any tips on the Squat?
Deadlift...stance is way too wide. It's forcing your arms out wider, bringing your torso lower, and you're losing good leverage. Bring those feet in a bit. Other than that your hips look good, so thumbs up. Good hip drive to lock out.

Squats...looks much better. You may even benefit from bringing your feet in a bit. Just monitor the angle of your knee compared to the angle of your foot to make sure they stay about the same. Play around with that stance and a slightly more narrow stance to see which feels better and allows for better depth.

One more thing...focus on keeping your elbows in about the same position throughout the squat. This will help keep your back tight, and help prevent you from folding over when you go for depth. When the elbows flare up in the hole, you will fold over a bit. You aren't doing that here, but just keep it in mind.

The image below looks very good. You are more upright, deep and look well balanced.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	robrob.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	4626  

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #162
RobMoriRB
Max Brawn
Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Mutant Mass
RobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master member

yeah as you can see i need alot of help lol
Dead Lift:455/500/?

Master Goal: Compete in 1 Lifting Sport!!! Completed Nov 16th 2014

Block Program:http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...ad.php?t=17576
BLOG:http://theanimalmethod.wordpress.com/
RobMoriRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #163
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

time to drag up an old thread,

bench vid from today ,
this is my 5th set of 6 sets at 100kg / 220lbs

feel free to pick apart

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #164
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markievicz View Post
time to drag up an old thread,

bench vid from today ,
this is my 5th set of 6 sets at 100kg / 220lbs

feel free to pick apart

I stink at bench, but will comment anyway. I guess my main question is: are you focusing on setting up with a tight back and tight legs? It almost looks like you slid your feet forward and just started to bench. Almost a bodybuilding-esque type of set.

Are you focusing on back and leg tightness?

My next question has to do with grip. Part of tightness involves a death grip on the bar. How tight is your grip, and are you focusing on "bending the bar" inward during your eccentrics?

Old 10-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #165
markievicz
Max Brawn

markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

Thanks for the comments steve, i do try to set up with a small arch , but never realised my feet slide forward like that until i watched that back.
I do grip the bar tightly on the press but didnt know i should be trying to bend inward as you pointed out. To be honest there is zero leg drive in there... I guess i really need to work at my set up!

Old 10-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #166
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

Markievicz, when you set up squeeze your shoulder blades together and hold them low. Try to get up on your traps and work on your arch. Your barpath is straight up and down. It should be angled somewhat back over your face at lockout.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #167
markievicz
Max Brawn

Thanks very much Ryano. Appreciate your help

Old 10-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #168
JTurner
Max Brawn
Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Beach Pong Champion! Pinboliada Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 2+ Years
Fav Exercise: BTNPP
Fav Supp: Beef
JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast

Mainly the sumo pulls at the end, never pulled like that and I have little to no idea about pulling sumo. Feel free to comment on the conventional though.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #169
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurner View Post
Mainly the sumo pulls at the end, never pulled like that and I have little to no idea about pulling sumo. Feel free to comment on the conventional though.

2012-10-25 Deadlifts - YouTube
I like what I see on conventionals. You are dropping your hips until that nice leverage point and ripping.

On sumos you appear to be starting with your hips too low. I am no expert on sum pulling, but I do notice your hips coming up several inches right out of the gate.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #170
T-Bone
The Beardo Weirdo
Max Brawn
Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 7
Fav Exercise: Squat
T-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machine
Default T-Bone Deadlift

Two videos of today's DLs. Watching them I think I already know what you're going to say, but I'll wait for the critiques. Be honest, be kind.

"There's nothing wrong with being a large mammal." - Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison - The Doors (1991)

Sergey Krastio Trelawny
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote