Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Exercise Form (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Bodybuilding and Powerlifting Tips Thread (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2277)

BendtheBar 03-07-2010 08:09 AM

Bodybuilding and Powerlifting Tips Thread

Post your best tips her for bodybuilding, powerlifting, etc. They can be on any topic from exercise selection, to technique tips to whatever.

Have a tip to share? Let us here it...

BendtheBar 03-07-2010 08:15 AM

Bench Press Grip Width

Not sure where to grip the bar for bench presses?

1) Stand up with your arms at your side.
2) Raise your hands until they are parallel with the ground.
3) Now raise your elbows 45 degrees away from the body.

Notice where your hands are...this is a good place to start with bench press grip width. Adjustments might have to be made, but this is a quick and dirty way to get you started in the right direction.

kman025 03-07-2010 10:57 AM

SQUAT DEPTH

If you question your squat depth-

-Get a adjustable box or other object and set it to below parrallel or however deep you want to squat.
-squat down so your but just slightly touches the object than come up.
-once your used to the depth remove the box

Bodybygamma 03-10-2010 06:20 PM

Here is my universal tip :

SQUEEZE THE BAR!

The tighter your grip the easier/more successful the lift. I don't feel I need to explain myself but since this is a novice/beginner thread I will put some science behind it.

When you grip the bar hard during any movement it sends responses to your brain that prep your whole body for the lift. Ever wonder why you can lift more with straps? This is not an excuse to always use straps though.

Bonus Tip
Deep breaths, and hold your breath during the movement of you bench, squat, deadlift, etc. Holding your breath makes your "core"/ body more stable.

IronManlet 05-07-2010 12:58 PM

Bench Press Tip:

Don't think about lowering the bar to your body and then pressing it up; think about pulling the weight towards your body, and then pressing yourself into the Bench and away from the bar. It helps with stabilization and control. Also, SQUEEZE THE BAR! Get a good grip; don't just grab it and press.

Squat Tip:

When you're coming up out of the hole, consciously push out with your knees. This will prevent any buckling. Keep the weight on your heels, not the tops of your feet.

Deadlift Tip:

Do it barefoot. It's great for stability.

Maiar 05-08-2010 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bodybygamma (Post 36235)
Here is my universal tip :

SQUEEZE THE BAR!

The tighter your grip the easier/more successful the lift. I don't feel I need to explain myself but since this is a novice/beginner thread I will put some science behind it.

When you grip the bar hard during any movement it sends responses to your brain that prep your whole body for the lift. Ever wonder why you can lift more with straps? This is not an excuse to always use straps though.

Thanks heaps I actually tried this today it really does make a difference.

jslep 05-08-2010 10:32 AM

tip of the day!

progression is king! never settle for where you are at. dig deep and do one more rep or add a simple 5lbs to the bar. now strive for greatness and you will achieve it. whether its bodybuilding or powerlifting you will not succeed by settling for...."ahhhh..thats good enuff."

Bodybygamma 05-08-2010 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronManlet (Post 54461)
Squat Tip:

When you're coming up out of the hole, consciously push out with your knees. This will prevent any buckling. Keep the weight on your heels, not the tops of your feet.

In addition, keep your elbows under the bar,back arched super tight, take a deep breath, unracking and another one before descent, think of "spreading the floor",and "sitting back" it should feel as if you have bands keeping your knees together as your sitting down on a chair and your need to push them out,in order to stand up. Sometimes the weight may feel on the side of your feet, that is ok, as long as it not the top of your feet.

steroidboy10000 05-08-2010 07:35 PM

Wear long socks when deadlifting....Unless you like bloody shins.:)

Mombow111 05-08-2010 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steroidboy10000 (Post 54846)
Wear long socks when deadlifting....Unless you like bloody shins.:)

If it wasn't for the fact that I am one of the only 2-3 people at my school deadlifting seriously, my OCD would have probably kicked in already about catching something off that bar.