Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Exercise Form
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Exercise Form Videos, articles and resources to help you with your squat, deadlift, bench press form and more.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:47 PM   #11
steroidboy10000
Supplement Free!
New Brawn
Points: 978, Level: 16 Points: 978, Level: 16 Points: 978, Level: 16
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

steroidboy10000 is new to the forumsteroidboy10000 is new to the forumsteroidboy10000 is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombow111 View Post
If it wasn't for the fact that I am one of the only 2-3 people at my school deadlifting seriously, my OCD would have probably kicked in already about catching something off that bar.
Lol

1000Lb Club
steroidboy10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2010, 05:44 AM   #12
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member
Default Positive Commitment

Always think positive. If you think you can't you won't. Setting new personal records and achieving goals is all about the struggle, if you can't COMMIT to the lift, then just go on home. I usually say something as simple as *UP! Which is most cases is the perfect cue because that is the destination.

*People used to ask me all the time before I had good deadlift form how I could grind out 570lbs + or - almost stiff legged, they would ask questions like how can you stay focused? What do you think about at the moment of pulling? Aren't you scared your going to hurt yourself? And all I could respond with was a one word answer with two letters: UP!

Smash F?ing Weights: How to get Ready for One Rep Max Lift Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding and Powerlifting.

How to Get Strong: Strength Training Made Simple. Part 1: Cultivating the Mind Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding and Powerlifting.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:49 AM   #13
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steroidboy10000 View Post
Wear long socks when deadlifting....Unless you like bloody shins.
Also Knee sleeves work great if you own a pair just slide them down on your shin.*Just in case your cheap like me and don't want to spend 8$+ on a pair of freaking socks, and your calves are 18+inches and the cheaper long socks just don't fit*
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #14
PCT
Max Brawn
Points: 4,446, Level: 42 Points: 4,446, Level: 42 Points: 4,446, Level: 42
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Training Exp: 5.75 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: DB Presses
Fav Supp: Purus Labs Amino.D
PCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributor

I havent been lifting heavy for a long time yet but there are three tips i would give someone with less exp. than myself for the big three.

1.) When squat always keep the bar over your heels and bend at the hips first.

2.) On the bench bring it low and drive it home with triceps and leg drive.

3.) For dealifting you want to get as close to the bar as possible and just drive the heels through the floor while keeping a tight upper back
PCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:58 AM   #15
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

Squat Tips:
-Keep your back TIGHT, a closer grip will increase tightness in the back
-Dont round your back at the bottom of the lift

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training – and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:58 AM   #16
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

HOLD YOU BREATH WHEN SQUATTING

OK so normally you wouldnt hold your breath, but with the squat you want to create a stable and fixed core and your core is much more stable when you hold your breath. If you are inhaling or exhaling at the bottom of a squat then you could compromise your core stability.If you start inhaling or exhaling at the bottome of a squat, then the stress that was being supported by the intra-abdominal pressure of your contracted core muscles will be transferred to the lower back, not good

If you hold your breath just before you get to the bottom, then during the direction change and as you start to come back up, you will have far greater core stability than if you breathe during that phase. This gives greater power out of the bottom. You dont want to hold it indefinitely obviously lol but if you tak a big gulp just before you go down then you will have enough oxygen for the desent and the bounce back up. You can start breathing out again as soon as you get out of the hole (so past parallel) on the way back up. Then in again just before you start the descent. So you are literally only holding your breath for a few seconds

note: breathing out on way back up facilitates screaming in pain too

hope this helps

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:01 AM   #17
Carl1174
Max Brawn

Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

There is some great tips for the big 3 here as well...

Excelling at the Big Lifts

I thought it was a really good article.... funny too

Carl.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:01 AM   #18
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
HOLD YOU BREATH WHEN SQUATTING

OK so normally you wouldnt hold your breath, but with the squat you want to create a stable and fixed core and your core is much more stable when you hold your breath. If you are inhaling or exhaling at the bottom of a squat then you could compromise your core stability.If you start inhaling or exhaling at the bottome of a squat, then the stress that was being supported by the intra-abdominal pressure of your contracted core muscles will be transferred to the lower back, not good

If you hold your breath just before you get to the bottom, then during the direction change and as you start to come back up, you will have far greater core stability than if you breathe during that phase. This gives greater power out of the bottom. You dont want to hold it indefinitely obviously lol but if you tak a big gulp just before you go down then you will have enough oxygen for the desent and the bounce back up. You can start breathing out again as soon as you get out of the hole (so past parallel) on the way back up. Then in again just before you start the descent. So you are literally only holding your breath for a few seconds

note: breathing out on way back up facilitates screaming in pain too

hope this helps

Carl.
I agree with this!! I hold my breathe, go down and up (often a grunt on the way up), then breathe out. I hurt my back deadlifting a long time ago, and holding my breathe squatting really helped strengthen and protect my back

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training – and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #19
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Just wanted to mention that if you guys find a good article from another site, you can post it below as long as you provide a link to the original article:

Articles

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #20
Carl1174
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Just wanted to mention that if you guys find a good article from another site, you can post it below as long as you provide a link to the original article:

Articles
OK Steve, thanks i have posted the T-Nation article there, the other one was my own post on a different site, do i still need to put a link ???

Carl.