Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Exercise Form
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Exercise Form Videos, articles and resources to help you with your squat, deadlift, bench press form and more.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #1
melvin2345
Uber Brawn

Training Exp: 2.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Bacon
melvin2345 is a dedicated contributormelvin2345 is a dedicated contributormelvin2345 is a dedicated contributormelvin2345 is a dedicated contributormelvin2345 is a dedicated contributormelvin2345 is a dedicated contributormelvin2345 is a dedicated contributormelvin2345 is a dedicated contributormelvin2345 is a dedicated contributormelvin2345 is a dedicated contributormelvin2345 is a dedicated contributor
Default Power Clean form

Warning: What you are about to see is ugly

Prior to this week, I'd never done a power clean before. I watched tons of videos, but what I'm doing doesn't look right, hehe.

I know my elbows aren't up at the top like the should be, and I don't let the bar rest on my shoulders and finger tips. In fact, it looks more like I'm about to go into a military press, but I'm guessing that's the least of my worries at this point.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Next Meet:
August 1, 2015
Goals: As many white lights as possible
melvin2345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2015, 07:33 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Bump

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:43 AM   #3
J_Byrd
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Need more hip drive and your top half is off.

Work some jump shrugs and heavy high pulls.

As far as the catch position, I think you just lack the flexibility at this point. It will come with practice and doing front squats in a good catch position.
Pro Total@275

PowerRackStrength.com

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:59 AM   #4
miked96
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 25
miked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master member

First part of this is cut and paste from another forum where I was helping a guy with his power clean. Some of its basic but it helped me understand what I was trying to do.

"This is hard to do on a forum but I will try to help. Here are some basics. A clean has two pulls. The first pull is from the floor to your upper thigh. The second pull is an aggressive jump and shrug with straight arms to get the bar moving upwards so you can squat under it and catch it. A power clean is when you catch the bar with a parallel or higher squat. A full clean is when you catch the bar at a lower than paralell squat position.

-You want to do a power clean, so bars pulled from floor to upper thigh, jump and shrug with straight arms, squat under the bar to a position parallel or higher, catch the bar, and stand up.
-Your not aggressively jumping and shrugging at the second position, your using alot of arms at the second pull, and your not squatting under the bar (your tucking your hips under you and just standing there). Check this vid and compare it to yours. Jump, shrug, and SQUAT under the bar. Then stand up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsSS4zXuV7M

1. Absolutely work on your rack flexibility. One of the main reasons your tucking your hips and not squatting under the bar is due to this. You can also just get under a loaded barbell in a rack and put it on your chest. Now push your elbows as high as they will go. This is going to be very uncomfortable. I have a huge problem with this also so I feel your pain.

2. Work on jumping and shrugging with STRAIGHT ARMS from that second position. There should be a loud stomp with each rep. You should hear your feet as you pull the bar and move them into position so you can squat under the bar."

For Melvin:

1. First thing I want you to do is put the empty bar in the proper rack position with high elbows. You may have to hold the bar with your fingertips but it must rest on your shoulders. Get a feel for how the bar is supposed to rest.

2. Once you get a feel for that then just hold on to the bar and let it drop to a hang. Do that a few times.

3. Now, put the bar at the second pull position at the top of your thighs. That is the second pull position and where everything really happens. Practice jumping and shrugging from that position. Do not attempt to rack the barbell and DO NOT USE YOUR ARMS! Its a jump and shrug that puts the momentum on the bar that allows you enough space to get under it.

4. Put that together and start with the bar at the second pull position. Jump and shrug, squat down and punch your elbows through to rack the bar.

5. Last, put the bar at about mid shin and draw it up slowly to the second pull position. Jump and shrug and rack the barbell. DO that slowly a few times to get the feel and speed it up.

After that you will be ready to go from the floor. Goal is not picture perfect form which I certainly dont have but efficient enough form to do the exercise so you can do the poundages that will stimulate the muscles you are trying to train with the movement.

Last edited by miked96; 06-05-2015 at 08:01 AM.
miked96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:38 AM   #5
melvin2345
Uber Brawn

melvin2345 is a dedicated contributormelvin2345 is a dedicated contributormelvin2345 is a dedicated contributormelvin2345 is a dedicated contributormelvin2345 is a dedicated contributormelvin2345 is a dedicated contributormelvin2345 is a dedicated contributormelvin2345 is a dedicated contributormelvin2345 is a dedicated contributormelvin2345 is a dedicated contributormelvin2345 is a dedicated contributor

Looks like I have some homework to do. Thanks for the tips guys. I'll work on the above and post another video in a week or so to see if I've improved at all.

Next Meet:
August 1, 2015
Old 06-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #6
Knarf Dorsey
Rage against the Age
Brawn

Training Exp: 30 Years
Training Type: HIT
Fav Exercise: Cleans and snatches
Fav Supp: Fish Oil
Knarf Dorsey has made some quality postsKnarf Dorsey has made some quality postsKnarf Dorsey has made some quality postsKnarf Dorsey has made some quality postsKnarf Dorsey has made some quality postsKnarf Dorsey has made some quality posts

Excellent advice from Miked96. Don't worry about it too much Melvin - you are not alone. I suck at power cleans and snatches, too. That's why they are my favorite lifts - because of the challenge they present to me. I've watched countless videos and have read numerous articles. I know what to do in my head but translating what I've learned into the actual lift is a whole different story. My biggest problem with the power clean is lacking the flexibility to catch properly. Not sure if I'll ever get there - hard to teach an old dog new tricks. But, like me Melvin, keep at it. Hopefully, we'll both get better.

It's not the weight you use, but how you use the weight.
Knarf Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:47 PM   #7
melvin2345
Uber Brawn

I'm a stubborn bastard, so I got home from work and spent about an hour practicing the things listed above. At the end, I did a bunch of full reps from blocks, and then tried 2 with 135. To me it looks better, but I don't trust my judgment, lol. Anyway, here is what it looks like now.

Better? Worse?

NOTE: The music in the background is from the show my daughter was watching. I do not live in or near a circus.

Next Meet:
August 1, 2015
Old 06-05-2015, 04:02 PM   #8
miked96
Max Brawn

miked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master member

Its better and your almost there. The problem is you are starting the second pull (where you jump and shrug) below your knee. The bar should be at the top of your thigh when you aggressively jump and shrug. Remember, two pulls. One is a pull to the upper thigh. Second is the aggressive jump and shrug from that position.

Look at attached picture. He has just done the first pull. The bar is now where he jumps and shrugs or the beginning of the second pull. You will know if you are doing it right because the bar should hit your upper thigh. I would also wear shoes because when you do it right, your feet slam into the floor or platform and make a loud noise which is going to hurt bare feet.
Attached Images

Last edited by miked96; 06-05-2015 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:08 PM   #9
melvin2345
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked96 View Post
Its better and your almost there. The problem is you are starting the second pull (where you jump and shrug) below your knee. The bar should be at the top of your thigh when you aggressively jump and shrug. Remember, two pulls. One is a pull to the upper thigh. Second is the aggressive jump and shrug from that position.
Check. I'll try them again tomorrow after deads. I'm determined to get this right dammit, lol.

Next Meet:
August 1, 2015
Old 06-05-2015, 04:11 PM   #10
miked96
Max Brawn

You will. Its really simple once you get the two pull concept down and get some reps in. Power snatching is even easier to learn because you dont have to rack the barbell. Its also two pulls but the start of the second pull is just higher up (waist level) because your grip is wider.

Last edited by miked96; 06-05-2015 at 04:33 PM.