Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements > Diet Logs
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Diet Logs Keep your diet/eating plan logs here.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
Mariko78
Banned
Points: 113, Level: 2 Points: 113, Level: 2 Points: 113, Level: 2
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Mariko78 is new to the forumMariko78 is new to the forumMariko78 is new to the forum
Default The fruits dillema

The problem with fructose arises when the liver glycogen levels are full. At this point, fructose gets converted to fat and that helps to increase the size of the fat cells. Since we aren't equipped with fuel gauges to tell us how full our livers are, many bodybuilders opt for avoiding fruit all together. But such extreme measures are not necessary. There are actually a few times when fruit is not only okay?it's actually helpful.
What do you think about this?
Mariko78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

It depends on your goals. If you are Keto, find low sugar fruit. When I do Keto I always keep blueberries and blackberries on hand. a lot of fruit is real high in sugar/fructose.

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I see no reason to avoid fruit on non-keto diets. In my opinion this type of thinking is OCD and focuses lifters on the wrong things.

A few pieces of fruit each day is not making me, you or anyone else fat.

We need a natural food variety for a myriad of reasons.

I didn't get fat eating fruit. I've never met anyone who did. It's not the enemy.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 12-14-2013 at 01:12 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I see no reason to avoid fruit on non-keto diets. In my opinion this type of thinking is OCD and focuses lifters on the wrong things.

I didn't get fat eating fruit. I've never met anyone who did. It's not the enemy.
This. A glass of modern regular soda with high-fructose corn syrup instead of sugar has WAY too much fructose. Our bodies just aren't meant to have that much fructose. But that hardly means that all fructose is bad. Eating things that come from the Earth in their natural state is hardly ever going to be a bad thing.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
This. A glass of modern regular soda with high-fructose corn syrup instead of sugar has WAY too much fructose. Our bodies just aren't meant to have that much fructose. But that hardly means that all fructose is bad. Eating things that come from the Earth in their natural state is hardly ever going to be a bad thing.
For the love of God, this and this!!!!

If you have perfected your diet and exercise plan to the point you are debating the inclusion or exclusion of fruit in a healthy diet ----- can you PLEASE share the plan with the rest of us ....

If you are not an elite level lifter or BB'er..... just eat healthy and lift, If you get fat- eat less
if you get weak or thin- eat more. People obsess over weird things

Stay away from processed crap- avoid processed sugars - eat meat fruits and veggies and lift big things
Old 12-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
A glass of modern regular soda with high-fructose corn syrup instead of sugar has WAY too much fructose. Our bodies just aren't meant to have that much fructose.
1 can of soda == 3 apples, in terms of fructose. Take your pick.

Quote:
Eating things that come from the Earth in their natural state is hardly ever going to be a bad thing.
Calories in, calories out.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Quote:

So does mean that my statement and approach is wrong?

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspers04 View Post
So does mean that my statement and approach is wrong?
You never eat fruit because you fear getting fat while trying to build muscle on a non-low carb bodybuilding bulk?

I really don't know what you're asking here.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:28 PM   #9
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quote:

This type of advice is why Steve Shaw should be President !!!
Old 12-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #10
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariko78 View Post
The problem with fructose arises when the liver glycogen levels are full. At this point, fructose gets converted to fat and that helps to increase the size of the fat cells.
What I have underlined above in the quote is not necessarily true when the statement generalizes the population, because it really depends on the overall dietary "trend" of the person, specific activities, and other variables involved specifically.

Just because Glycogen levels are full in the liver, does not immediately default to carbohydrates (fructose, or other forms of sugar), being converted to fat or causing the increase of fat cells; however, it can be true if certain dietary needs/requirements of the individual are exceeded dependent again on the "trend history" (such as overall calories, and dietary fat calories).

Do you really think, that a person (male, 6ft, 25 years old, normal healthy) whom has had an accurate maintenance set of calories for about 8 to 9 days, with carbohydrates at about 200g (per day, and assuming Glycogen is full), works 8 to 10 hours per day (active), and trains 4 days per week, and consumed 4 glasses of juice (8oz each) is going to be getting fat from the Fructose? No, he is not in this hypothetical example. We sometimes have to be careful with generalizations. The metabolism and the digestion/conversion/absorption of calories (macros/micros, etc) is complicated, and to say one can get fat with one criteria type (such as over fructose consumption) when liver glycogen is full, is false--unless other criteria are met as well.

Have a great day guys!

Chillen

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 12-14-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote