Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diet Logs (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   The fruits dillema (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15802)

Mariko78 12-14-2013 12:37 PM

The fruits dillema
 
The problem with fructose arises when the liver glycogen levels are full. At this point, fructose gets converted to fat and that helps to increase the size of the fat cells. Since we aren't equipped with fuel gauges to tell us how full our livers are, many bodybuilders opt for avoiding fruit all together. But such extreme measures are not necessary. There are actually a few times when fruit is not only okay?it's actually helpful.
What do you think about this?

gaspers04 12-14-2013 12:39 PM

It depends on your goals. If you are Keto, find low sugar fruit. When I do Keto I always keep blueberries and blackberries on hand. a lot of fruit is real high in sugar/fructose.

BendtheBar 12-14-2013 01:08 PM

I see no reason to avoid fruit on non-keto diets. In my opinion this type of thinking is OCD and focuses lifters on the wrong things.

A few pieces of fruit each day is not making me, you or anyone else fat.

We need a natural food variety for a myriad of reasons.

I didn't get fat eating fruit. I've never met anyone who did. It's not the enemy.

Soldier 12-14-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 436786)
I see no reason to avoid fruit on non-keto diets. In my opinion this type of thinking is OCD and focuses lifters on the wrong things.

A few pieces of fruit each day is not making me, you or anyone else fat.

We need a natural food variety for a myriad of reasons.

I didn't get fat eating fruit. I've never met anyone who did. It's not the enemy.

This. A glass of modern regular soda with high-fructose corn syrup instead of sugar has WAY too much fructose. Our bodies just aren't meant to have that much fructose. But that hardly means that all fructose is bad. Eating things that come from the Earth in their natural state is hardly ever going to be a bad thing.

SCStrong 12-14-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 436786)
I see no reason to avoid fruit on non-keto diets. In my opinion this type of thinking is OCD and focuses lifters on the wrong things.

A few pieces of fruit each day is not making me, you or anyone else fat.

We need a natural food variety for a myriad of reasons.

I didn't get fat eating fruit. I've never met anyone who did. It's not the enemy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldier (Post 436787)
This. A glass of modern regular soda with high-fructose corn syrup instead of sugar has WAY too much fructose. Our bodies just aren't meant to have that much fructose. But that hardly means that all fructose is bad. Eating things that come from the Earth in their natural state is hardly ever going to be a bad thing.

For the love of God, this and this!!!!

If you have perfected your diet and exercise plan to the point you are debating the inclusion or exclusion of fruit in a healthy diet ----- can you PLEASE share the plan with the rest of us ....


If you are not an elite level lifter or BB'er..... just eat healthy and lift, If you get fat- eat less
if you get weak or thin- eat more. People obsess over weird things

Stay away from processed crap- avoid processed sugars - eat meat fruits and veggies and lift big things :ms:

Chillen 12-14-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mariko78 (Post 436775)
The problem with fructose arises when the liver glycogen levels are full. At this point, fructose gets converted to fat and that helps to increase the size of the fat cells.

What I have underlined above in the quote is not necessarily true when the statement generalizes the population, because it really depends on the overall dietary "trend" of the person, specific activities, and other variables involved specifically.

Just because Glycogen levels are full in the liver, does not immediately default to carbohydrates (fructose, or other forms of sugar), being converted to fat or causing the increase of fat cells; however, it can be true if certain dietary needs/requirements of the individual are exceeded dependent again on the "trend history" (such as overall calories, and dietary fat calories).

Do you really think, that a person (male, 6ft, 25 years old, normal healthy) whom has had an accurate maintenance set of calories for about 8 to 9 days, with carbohydrates at about 200g (per day, and assuming Glycogen is full), works 8 to 10 hours per day (active), and trains 4 days per week, and consumed 4 glasses of juice (8oz each) is going to be getting fat from the Fructose? No, he is not in this hypothetical example. We sometimes have to be careful with generalizations. The metabolism and the digestion/conversion/absorption of calories (macros/micros, etc) is complicated, and to say one can get fat with one criteria type (such as over fructose consumption) when liver glycogen is full, is false--unless other criteria are met as well.


Have a great day guys!

Chillen

gaspers04 12-14-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 436786)
I see no reason to avoid fruit on non-keto diets. In my opinion this type of thinking is OCD and focuses lifters on the wrong things.

A few pieces of fruit each day is not making me, you or anyone else fat.

We need a natural food variety for a myriad of reasons.

I didn't get fat eating fruit. I've never met anyone who did. It's not the enemy.

So does mean that my statement and approach is wrong?

BendtheBar 12-14-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaspers04 (Post 436856)
So does mean that my statement and approach is wrong?

You never eat fruit because you fear getting fat while trying to build muscle on a non-low carb bodybuilding bulk?

I really don't know what you're asking here.

gaspers04 12-14-2013 07:37 PM

You lost me as well.

gaspers04 12-14-2013 07:39 PM

My fault, I thought the original post was about ketogenic dieting. I respectfully withdraw my statementas it was in error Steve.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.