Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Lifters (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Bill Hinbern Newsletter (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11402)

BendtheBar 10-17-2012 09:54 AM

Bill Hinbern Newsletter

Bill posts some interesting stuff so I am going to share it from time to time...

BendtheBar 10-17-2012 09:55 AM

October 17th, 2012 Newsletter.

Quote:

One of the pioneers of modern weight lifting was born 103 years ago today.

Peary Rader, strong man, writer, publisher, and founder of the famous Iron Man Magazine gave an open forum to those that wanted to share their methods for success.

It all started out from humble beginnings.

After several years of trial and error, Rader managed to develop his own method for gaining weight and developing strength.

His results were so obvious to family and friends that it earned him the nickname...

"Iron Man".

In August of 1936, in the midst of The Great Depression, he began publishing a magazine to spread the word.

The first issue was called, "Super Physique", but later changed to, what else...

"The Iron Man."

It was a primitive affair, digest size, with only a few pages and a "huge" first time print run of about 25 copies.

He printed it with an old mimeograph machine found in the trash.

Rader's new magazine was published bi-monthly and available by subscription only.

It grew dramatically as well as the methods of printing.

Peary Rader's reputation was personified through Iron Man over the years.

It was a clean magazine that could be left on the kitchen table.

Rader was an elder in his church.

No need to worry about any offensive language or photos in Iron Man.

He wouldn't stand for it.

He didn't preach religion but occasionally would go off on a rant about some of the "modern supplements" used by the big names of the day.

Peary welcomed other points of view in his magazine offering an open forum to anyone who had something worthwhile to contribute.

He gave a start to many successful writers such as Bradley J. Steiner, Anthony Ditillo, Michael J. Salvati, Bruce Page, etc.

I remember when I would get my copy of Iron Man through in the mail in the familiar brown envelope.

I would drop whatever I was doing and immediately go to my favorite author and begin reading.

Great stuff in those days, Steven,

Valuable information from a variety of sources.

Peary Rader wrote several courses, 3 of which are still available.

Full of useful information that has stood the test of time, year after year.

Go to this link and check them out:

Iron Man - Peary Rader - Rader Master Bodybuilding and Weight Gaining System

Until the next time...

Yours for greater strength,

Bill Hinbern

P.S. "Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it."
- Michael Jordan,

Although, cut from his high school team, he found a way to become one of the greatest Professional Basketball Players whom ever lived!

BendtheBar 10-17-2012 01:02 PM

October 17th, 2012

Quote:

First, let me say, Happy Birthday to the famous Olympic Weightlifting Champion, Paul Anderson.

It reminds me of way back in 1970 when I called Anderson regarding his training course, "Secrets of My Strength".

On that first call, I was lucky enough to catch him not only in town but in his office.

We spoke for about 20 minutes about his famous Paul Anderson Youth Home, the training he was doing at the time, and some courses that he planned to publish in the future.

He seemed like a very friendly, upbeat, kind of guy with a real genuine interest in passing on his knowledge of weightlifting.

About a year later, I decided to carry his courses in my catalog.

Some years later he surprised me with a telephone call to say that he'd be in nearby Detroit for a speaking engagement.

To hear the rest of the story...go to the following page:

Paul Anderson - Olympic Weightlifting Champion - Secrets of My Strength - Power by Paul

Until the next time...

Bill Hinbern

P.S. "Nothing is over until you stop trying"

BendtheBar 10-26-2012 02:54 PM

Recent:

Quote:

When weightlifting pioneer Alan Calvert founded Milo Bar Bell Company in 1902, and started to promote the weight sports, he found that he needed the best result producing information of the day.

When he began writing his own books and courses he adopted many of the principles found in the system used by Prof Theodor Siebert.

Siebert was a great German physique culture and weight lifting teacher who had helped train such famous European athletes as George Hackenschmidt and George Lurich.

He is generally given credit for the basic tenet behind all muscular development training programs.

That is...

"Do the most amount of work in the least amount of time."

While the positive affects of this type of training are all around us, nowhere is it more apparent than in the sport of track and field...

The sprinter vs. the long distance runner.

I remember hearing my high school track coach boast about how he could pick out sprinters from long distance runners simply by looking over their physiques.

Little did I know at the time that he was right on!

If you were of medium build and muscular in appearance, you were probably a sprinter.

If you were tall and lanky, you were probably a long distance runner.

This made perfect sense at the time, although I didn't realize it.

A sprinter needs explosive power. His event is done and gone in a matter of seconds.

The long distance runner, on the other hand, must pace himself.

Hs is a game of endurance. He must conserve energy and avoid burn out at all costs.

But, getting back to the original premise and that is...body type.

Sprinting events in track are explosive in nature.

These types of events require the same type of training methods, and that is...

"Do the most amount of work, in the least amount of time."

This type of training, by the way, develops a muscular physique.

The long distance runner rarely has a noticeably muscular physique.

Incidently, try and switch their training programs and watch what happens!

The sprinter will absolutely die on the long distance runners workout.

And the long distance runner will not fare much better doing sprints.

For more about the training philosophy of Prof Theodor Siebert, check out the classic weightlifting books and courses by Alan Calvert:

Alan Calvert - Super Strength - Milo Barbell Company - Weight Lifting - www.superstrengthtraining.com

While he was most famous for his wrestling prowess, George Hackenschmidt, was no slouch when it came to lifting tremendous poundages.

They didn't call him The Russian Lion for nothing!

Check out his best seller at:

George Hackenschmidt - The Way to Live - Wrestling

While most people know that Hackenschmidt was one of the greatest wrestlers whom ever lived, had tremendous functional strength and one of the best physiques of his day, he was also a prolific philosophical writer.

He wrote such mind benders as, "The Three Memories and Forgetfulness", "The Dethronement of the Brain", "Consciousness and Character", etc.

Until the next time...

Bill Hinbern

BendtheBar 11-14-2012 09:24 AM

Quality vs Quantity

The age old question has once again come to light through several emails that I've received lately.

Am I doing enough?

To answer that question, we need to know your goal.

Is your goal to get stronger, stay in shape, run a marathon?

Just what is your goal, Steven?

Ron from Draper, Utah, is using a very popular result producing routine designed for getting bigger and stronger.

Here is his question:

==============================

"Hi Bill, I have a question for you.

When doing the 20 rep squat, how many sets should I work up to?

Is the norm one set of 20 reps?

I am doing the 20 rep squat and add weight when I can complete one set.

Then I got to thinking, Am I doing enough?

I know I am sore about two days later and sometimes I can barely walk, but I was wondering if I should back off the weight and do more than one 20 rep set.

I am 56 years old if that means anything.

I work out once every third day, breaking up my exercises into five parts, so I actually only squat once every 15 days.

I know you're busy, but should you find a moment to respond, I would appreciate it.

Ron"

=======================================

First, congratulations Ron, for training at 56 years of age.

That, in itself, is something!

The routine you are using is designed for getting bigger and stronger.

Considering your age, training every third day is wise for the sake of recuperation.

You are sore two days later and can barely walk.

That is a good sign.

Your body is reacting to the overload principle.

You are wondering if one 20 rep squat is "enough".

Your goal is to get stronger.

You are adding weight to your squat.

Well, Ron, are you getting stronger?

If you are adding weight, then of course you are!

So, you are in fact, doing "enough".

Don't fall for the, "If a little bit is good, then more has got to be a whole lot better!"

It doesn't work in progressive resistance exercise.

In fact, sometimes, "less is more".

For example, you are doing less by training every third day instead of every second day.

Why?

To allow more time for recovery to avoid overtraining.

What you are wrestling with, Ron, is the balance between quality and quantity in your progressive resistance exercise.

The difference between short term explosive power as seen in weightlifting, sprinting, wrestling, etc., and long term endurance as seen in long distance running, cycling, etc.

If your goal is getting stronger, then you must load the bar and allow plenty of time for recovery.

If your poundages and/or reps are increasing, then your strength is increasing.

A simple law of physics.

And if you want to see what I'm talking about, go to the following link and check out one of the best books ever written about the 20 rep squat routine:

Randall J. Strossen - Super Squats: How to Gain 30 Pounds of Muscle in 6 Weeks - IronMind

Popularized as far back as the 1930s, this routine is probably responsible for adding more muscular bodyweight than any other.

Until the next time...

Bill Hinbern

P.S. Are you still confused about the set system in your training? Discover the history behind the set system and how to use it properly in your training for the best results. Read more here:

Thomas DeLorme - Arthur Watkins - Progressive Resistance Exercise

BendtheBar 11-15-2012 10:01 AM

A fellow called today and asked me what I thought was the best exercise.

Before I answered his question, I needed more information.

Best exercise for what results?

After several questions from me, he narrowed his question down to:

"If you chose one exercise and one exercise only and that is all you did, what would it be?"

"That's easy", I said, "The squat".

He was surprised at my answer.

He felt that the bench press or military press would be my answer.

I told him that while pressing movements develop the shoulders and triceps, they did little or nothing for the lower body.

His next question was why I felt the squat was so special.

I told him that for all around total body exercise the squat satisfies all the requirements...

1. It works the thighs, the largest muscles of the body.

2. If performed with additional weight on the shoulders, it works the upper body...back, chest and shoulders.

3. It is convenient. It can be done with or without additional weight.

4. It is the best exercise for building cardiovascular strength.

Especially if high reps are performed.

5. It increases lung capacity.

6. It is the exercise that every good routine is built around.

7. It is the exercise that every strong man throughout history incorporated into his workout.

Because it is so good and so result producing, it is the one most dreaded exercise that everybody loves to hate!

Human nature dictates that in all cases of extreme difficulty, the mind automatically begins to think, "There's got to be an easier way!"

Nope, sorry, in progressive physical training for functional strength, the harder it is, the better it is.

As soon as you start to cave in to "the easy way", your results will almost assuredly plummet.

Furthermore, all the big names in strength used the squat to build tremendous functional power....John Grimek, John Davis, Bob Peoples, Paul Anderson, George Jowett, Reg Park, The Saxon Brothers, Brooks Kubik, Anthony Ditillo, Pat Casey, Doug Hepburn, and on, and on.

Peary Rader, founder of Iron Man Magazine, wasted years trying to gain muscular body weight.

He got little or no results until he perfected his own weight training routines built around the squat.

Fortunately, his special training methods and routines are still available.

Check them out at:

Iron Man - Peary Rader - Rader Master Bodybuilding and Weight Gaining System

BendtheBar 11-16-2012 09:33 AM

Beginners: What Do I Really Need to Get Started

Most things in life have a beginning and an end.

Some of us have a tough time getting started and when we really are enjoying ourselves, we dread the thought of it ending.

Even the best laid plans some how get set aside in favor of things that somehow seem more important at the moment.

With regard to your training, the most important thing is ambition.

The second most important thing is called time management.

Setting aside a few hours a week doesn't sound like such a big deal until you are some how forced to do it.

I suggest one hour every other day, three days per week.

With the ambition and the time, now comes the third thing, something called...

A plan.

If you are not quite sure of what you are doing or how to go about it, I strongly suggest that you seek out someone who has "been there and done that".

In regard to basic beginner progressive resistance training, choose an instructor that has had his share of success with developing champions.

Mark Berry was such an individual.

He was not only a National Champion weight lifter in his own right, but, in 1932, was the very FIRST coach for the United States Olympic Weight Lifting Team.

And, again, in 1936.

In addition, he trained another National Weight Lifting Champion who just happened to become an UNDEFEATED champion bodybuilder...

John Grimek.

Fortunately for all of us, Berry laid out his training methods in 3 separate courses accompanied by 3 beautiful wall charts describing each and every exercise.

These are all basic compound movements that utilize the fourth important thing that you will need...

A set of adjustable plate loading barbells and dumbbells.

Nothing else is needed.

What could be simpler.

Check his course out here:

Mark Berry - The Mark Berry Barbell Courses

Sorry, Steven, you just ran out of excuses.

So, get going or you'll run out of time!

Until the next time...

Bill Hinbern

BendtheBar 11-29-2012 08:30 AM

Hello Bill,

What type of training is good to strengthen tendons and ligaments?

It seems like I build muscle strength faster, which always lead to tendon pain.

Thanks,
Nick R.
Brooklyn, New York

====================================

Excellent question, Nick!

Tendons and ligaments form the joints of the body.

While most trainees concentrate on developing the muscles of the body, it is well to remember that injury to the joints will bring any gains in strength to a screeching halt.

Furthermore, it will take a long time for the joint to heal so that you can continue your training.

In addition, it becomes even more important as you age.

Therefore, it is vitally important to treat your joints with respect.

Proper warm up is key.

Wear warm clothing when training.

Perform slow light, full extension, full contraction, movements mimicking the heavier, more strenuous, exercise that you plan to perform.

How do you know when you have warmed up properly?

Perspiration and accelerated breathing.

When you have reached this point, continue with the heavier exercise.

Perform the exercise SLOWLY, and DO NOT go beyond the threshold of pain.

Pain or discomfort is your friend, it is a signal to stop the activity.

However, the proverbial, "No Pain, No Gain", idiom is downright dangerous!

Fast and furious, slamming and banging of heavy weights is an accident waiting to happen...

Especially, when you experience fatigue.

Again, proceed slowly.

If you experience pain in your tendons and/or ligaments, apply cold, not heat, for ten or fifteen minutes to the area to relieve any swelling.

Rest the joint by adding an extra day for recuperation to allow the joint to heal.

If it persists, contact your physician, you may have tendonitis or bursitis.

One of the best books ever written that addresses tendons and ligaments as well as physical conditioning is right here, check it out:

John Jesse - Wrestling Physical Conditioning Encyclopedia

Until the next time...

Bill Hinbern

bamazav 11-29-2012 08:57 AM

Just found this thread. Thanks!

BendtheBar 12-10-2012 02:13 PM

December 10th Newsletter

That's right, recently, for your CONVENIENCE, barbell plates, of all things, now come in all shapes and sizes.

Not just round and flat anymore, nosirree...

You can get them with flats on the edges so they won't roll.

I think your gym should have a level floor.

We can gettum vulcanized so they don't rust, make noise or damage floors.

How about a coat of paint, ear plugs and rubber matting on the floor.

And, for your CONVENIENCE, you can get them with strange looking HOLES so they're EASIER to pick up and carry around.

What...you never heard of Farmer's Walking around the block while pinch gripping two 50 pounders!

The latest trick, though, and I had to laugh when I saw this one, is a three spoke plate that looks like it was cast from the steering wheel of an antique John Deere tractor!

Does it REALLY make any difference what they look like...

And should your COMFORT and CONVENIENCE enter into the equation?

Heck no!

What makes a difference is FUNCTION!

Barbells, dumbbells, kettlebells, etc. are tools.

Tools perform a task.

Tools provide a means to an end.

And the end, in this case, should be RESULTS...plain and simple!

So, why the preoccupation with the configuration of a barbell plate?

A flat round plate with a hole at approximately the designated weight.

Simplicity itself!

Funny, a tool so simple, so primitive, doesn't come with instructions, absolutely no "how to".

And you can't get results unless you know what you're doing!

The manufacturer presumes that you know how to use their product.

The underestimation of the century!!!

But then, take a look around...

No instructions with a hammer.

No instructions with a screwdriver.

No instructions with a shovel.

From my point of view, the most important part of the equation is proper instruction.

If you want the best results, get the best instructions.

Here are a few that have provided just that, and are famous for getting results:

The York Barbell and Dumbbell System of Training

Bob Hoffman - York Barbell and Dumbbell Courses

The Mark Berry Bar Bell Courses

Mark Berry - The Mark Berry Bar Bell Courses

Progressive Resistance Exercise by Thomas DeLorme

Thomas DeLorme - Arthur Watkins - Progressive Resistance Exercise

The Milo Bar Bell Courses by Alan Calvert

Alan Calvert - Milo Barbell Courses - Super Strength

And here's more to add to your arsenal of excellent training instruction:

Super Strength Training Books and Courses

Until the next time...