Old 09-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #51
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epinephrine View Post
My bench sucks. I can squat and dead 400+, but I can barely bench 250. Should I just rep out 185 or something until I can nail it for a set of 50 and then see where I'm at? Hurt my shoulder a bit ago and I'm not really trying to train with singles or doubles.
I think we really should focus more on the shoulder injury to give you sound advice. What kind of rehab, prehab work are you doing for it? What does your warm ups and workouts look like now.

Give me a little more background so I can give you a solid answer. I hate to give you some bad advice, and probably would without all those factors.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #52
J_Byrd
Max Brawn

J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleurplaay View Post
I can almost squat 400, deadlift 400+ and my bench max is barely 225
haha we all have that lift! mine was the deadlift for a long time.

Proudly sponsored by

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
Old 09-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #53
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

What's your 5k time?

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:06 AM   #54
Epinephrine
Brawn
Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Epinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
I think we really should focus more on the shoulder injury to give you sound advice. What kind of rehab, prehab work are you doing for it? What does your warm ups and workouts look like now.

Give me a little more background so I can give you a solid answer. I hate to give you some bad advice, and probably would without all those factors.
I honestly haven't flat benched in almost a year. I started focusing a lot more on incline bench and db work.

I inflamed my rotator cuff and caused a minor strain while benching about a year and a half ago (sometime in March) while I was dieting for the NPC NKY. Calories were just too low for me to have kept using the weights I was using. Stupid mistake, but I learned from it.

What I did for a while was use a broom stick and rotate it over my head and behind my back, then back to the front. Would pretty much just do a set of 50 every day and focused on trying to get my hands closer together each day. It definitely helped, but I'm just nervous about trying heavy benching again although the pain is gone.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #55
TobesLCFC
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

Is Smolov Jr a linear progression program? I have done it myself with great success but I don't actually know why it works. Can you shed some light on this?

"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." – Socrates

"I never saved anything for the swim back."

"Compound exercises, kids! Compound exercises!"
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #56
jiorio95
Max Brawn
Points: 6,215, Level: 51 Points: 6,215, Level: 51 Points: 6,215, Level: 51
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

jiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master member

Hey, JB. I've read the program a few times through and had a question about the 3 day a week program. It fits my schedule better so I am going to go that route.

1. Any problem with moving shurgs to the Back/Bench Aux day? I really like following up my deadlift movements with the shrugs?

2. I have become pretty quad dominant from years of squatting with bad form, so my hamstrings are lagging. Do you think if should add in more hamstring work to compensate, or is there enough here?

Thanks!
jiorio95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #57
J_Byrd
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiorio95 View Post
Hey, JB. I've read the program a few times through and had a question about the 3 day a week program. It fits my schedule better so I am going to go that route.

1. Any problem with moving shurgs to the Back/Bench Aux day? I really like following up my deadlift movements with the shrugs?

2. I have become pretty quad dominant from years of squatting with bad form, so my hamstrings are lagging. Do you think if should add in more hamstring work to compensate, or is there enough here?

Thanks!
1. No problem at all

2. You could change out the Bulgarian squat with a hamstring movement. I would suggest one leg good mornings with a dumbbell. Let me know if you need a video reference.

Proudly sponsored by

Old 11-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #58
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Not related to your program JB, but here goes; Do you think a raw lifter will benefit from board presses?
Old 11-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #59
J_Byrd
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
Not related to your program JB, but here goes; Do you think a raw lifter will benefit from board presses?
Of course! I would do them after my raw work, and really hammer my sticking point.

Proudly sponsored by

Old 11-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #60
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
Of course! I would do them after my raw work, and really hammer my sticking point.
Im using closegrip benchpress as my main assistance for presses but will give boards a try for myself. Thanks buddy!