Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Articles
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Articles Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, Nutrition, Supplement Articles.

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Old
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default A Few Words About Discipline and Sacrifice
by BendtheBar 02-03-2012, 12:42 AM

A Few Words About Discipline and Sacrifice
By Matt Kroczaleski

A Few Words About Discipline and Sacrifice

Tonight was one of those nights where I absolutely did not feel like a doing a damn thing when I returned home from work. Work was hectic right until the last minute and I just felt burned out mentally and physically by the time I pulled into my driveway at 9PM. The last thing I felt like doing was dragging myself down into the basement to train. To make things worse Lauren was sitting on the couch watching ďBig Bang TheoryĒ and wanted me to come snuggle with her (which admittedly is not an easy offer to turn down).

I actually considered it for half a second, and thought that maybe I could just get up early and train in the morning before work, but then I immediately realized I that I already knew I needed to do. No matter how crappy I felt, or what I had going on, I knew that the only way Iím going to achieve my goals is to give it everything I have every single day. Obviously, lying on the couch is not part of that equation. So I dragged myself downstairs to my dungeon of a gym and put in the effort that was required of me tonight. After that, I got to work preparing my last scheduled meal of the day, even though I really just wanted to crawl into bed next to my beautiful wife. Of course these are small sacrifices, but ones that I must confront on a daily basis to remain on the path that leads to my goals.

So, now itís close to 1AM and Iím choking down the last of my required food for the day (I started my pre-contest diet this week) as I sit here and type this out. I push in a mouthful of food and chase it with water to make swallowing it easier. The food is bland and dry and Iím not far enough into my diet to where my appetite has become ravenous yet. Again, I do this because I know this is what my goals require of me.

People that arenít like me often ask how I get by on so little sleep and how I eat the things I do day in and day out. They really donít understandÖand the explanations I offer up donít really seem to bring them any closer to seeing things from my point of view. Just as frequently they state that they could never do that, but always offer excuses as to why right along with it. When I talk about things like training through major injuries, training myself to endure pain and some of the really crazy stuff I have done and continue to do, I see a bewildered look in peopleís faces and right then it really hits me just how different I am from most of the people in this world. I often feel like Iím speaking a foreign language and itís just not possible to communicate what goes on in my mind.

I realize that a majority of the people in the world (or at least in this country) suffer from weakness and the inability to force themselves to do the things that are necessary to achieve the things that they would really like to in life. For me, the pain of failing to achieve what I set out to do is much greater than the pain I endure to do what is required of me to achieve those goals. I can think of nothing worse or more painful than to give up and never move closer to the things I really desire. It is this fear of failure that often drives me and far outweighs the pain of discipline and sacrifice.

My attitude is not at all unique, though. This same level of discipline and sacrifice is displayed universally throughout the world and not only in athletics, but in academics, business and any other pursuits that people are passionate about. If you look at anyone that is extremely successful in their chosen passion you will find not only a very similar level of discipline, but also a very similar degree of sacrifice. Simply putĖ it is what is required to separate yourself from the masses, for if you wish to achieve more than most, you must be willing to suffer more than most. This is an ideology I willingly embrace and if you are among that minority that desires to be more than average in lifeÖso should you.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Views 587 Comments 4
Sponsored Links
Total Comments 4

Comments

Old 02-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
For me, the pain of failing to achieve what I set out to do is much greater than the pain I endure to do what is required of me to achieve those goals.
Says it all.

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Quote:
If you look at anyone that is extremely successful in their chosen passion you will find not only a very similar level of discipline, but also a very similar degree of sacrifice. Simply put– it is what is required to separate yourself from the masses, for if you wish to achieve more than most, you must be willing to suffer more than most.
I wish I had learned this when I was younger.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
I realize that a majority of the people in the world (or at least in this country) suffer from weakness and the inability to force themselves to do the things that are necessary to achieve the things that they would really like to in life.
This goes in hand with my goal of bringing Natural Wheelchair Bodybuilding to the masses.

We have so so much talent out there that hasn't heard about it, or did competitive bodybuilding or weight lifting in past before they got SCI and now think its over for them.

In reality its only the beginning of a new chapter for them.

This holds more true with all the returning vets lately.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter

We can't control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we respond.

Far too many people stare at their cards and complain. We all have days like that, but when this turns into weeks and years nothing will be achieved except depression.

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote