Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Articles
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Articles Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, Nutrition, Supplement Articles.

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Old
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Training Wisdom from the Seminar
by BendtheBar 10-03-2011, 08:36 AM

Training Wisdom from the Seminar

By Jim Wendler

T NATION | Training Lab LiVESPILL

T NATION | Training Lab LiVESPILL

Notes and ideas from the latest EFS Seminar.

The past weekend I had the opportunity to speak at the EFS seminar. This was a two day seminar - the first day was speaking, the second day was hands on. I presented the first day and was given a platform to spread the messsage. Here is part one of my notes on my presentation; complete with explanations on them. I do not like to speak on just ONE topic. That is boring and really doesn't do anyone much good. I'd much rather speak on a variety of topics and expand on them.

* I no longer believe in training to lose weight, gain weight or whatever. I only believe in Training to be Awesome. This means you get strong and in shape and the chips will ALWAYS fall in your favor. I no longer will council or console people.

* 99% of all questions on 5/3/1 are about 1% of the program; quit focusing on the small things and look at the big picture. Those are the things that matter.

* I believe you should run, push, drag and carry like a man for your conditioning. Until walking becomes your only option, make use of the gifts that you have.

* The 3 things that I think people need to internalize with their training: Lift heavy, run fast and stretch hard.

* As long as your main lift is properly programmed, you can be as creative (or uncreative) with your assistance work as you want. So squat and do whatever you want - battling ropes, sled, kettlebells, etc. As long as the main lift is kicking ass and planned for, enjoy what you do.

* The older you get the more time you need to spend on restoration and recovery (and the less on training). I'd rather spend 45 minutes rolling, stretching, moving and having a GREAT squat workout and leave then spend no time warming up, having a crappy squat workout and doing 5 assistance exercises.
09-28-2011 18:00

* The more suited you are for the sport of competitive lifting, the less assistance work you have to do to be successful. This was taught to me by James Smith.

* The strongest, fastest and most explosive athletes that I have been around are football players and throwers. These guys all run, jump and throw explosively. They do this everyday, either in their training or their field practice. This is an everyday thing; something that cannot be replicated by 1 or 2 days of "speed" work. Learn from them and be fast.

Here is the second part of this series - the first part can be read here (T NATION | Training Lab LiVESPILL). As stated before, EFS had a Learn to Train seminar that I was lucky enough to be a part of. It was a 2 day seminar. The first day was devoted to lecture, the second was a hands-on day to help the participants with training and technique. Here are the notes from my presentation.

* Give your child one of the greatest gifts - the gift of physical exercise and healthy eating. By tdoing this you will eliminate most of the social bullshit and drama that many kids face. They will be emotionally and physically stronger, have better self-esteem, skin will be better, they will be confident in new challeges and carrying themselves better.

Without exercise and proper eating habits, your kids will have an endless array of food issues, body issues and probably relationship issues. Give your kids a chance to be great!

* Famed drum teacher Freddie Gruber, "You can have an amazing body, a beautiful body but if you aren't breathing, you aren't truly alive."

* Do not shy away from adversity and challeges in everyday life. When something major happens in your life; divorce, death, moving, losing a job, lawsuit, etc. These are the things that will allow you to rise above and show your friends and family who you truly are. Embrace these things and be better than expected. Take them head on and conquer.
Yesterday 15:15

* One of the best things I did to improve shoulder flexibility was to squat 3 times/week. You can read about my training split here: http://www.t-nation.com/...ng-topics/1316. After frequent squatting sessions my shoulders have felt great. Now I can't start any workout without squatting first. Thanks to John Broz for the inspiration.

* If you can't train with squat stands and a platform, you have lost the spirit of this sport.

* The best way to not be fat, is to not get fat in the first place. Don't be a Diet Queen - learn habits.

* The greatest mistake beginners make is taking advice from other beginners on the internet.

Beginner lifters need more consistency and frequency with less variety. This includes programming. In other words, quit program hopping.

If you want to be a better lifter and learn how to program, start competing in a sport or a meet/show. Your training will begin to take on an importance you had not known before. And you will learn more about training and yourself than you ever would. Make your training count.

* Earn the right to squat and leave. - Jim Wendler

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Views 611 Comments 7
Sponsored Links
Total Comments 7

Comments

Old 10-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Awesome.

LtL
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:44 AM   #3
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Yes, awesome!
"Squat and Leave." I've had many days like that. I would put everything I had into the squat session and didn't feel like I had anything left to do justice to accessory lifts. I left knowing I had done enough.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Yes, awesome!
"Squat and Leave." I've had many days like that. I would put everything I had into the squat session and didn't feel like I had anything left to do justice to accessory lifts. I left knowing I had done enough.
Pretty much what I do. I hit some accessory work when I can. My thought is that if I leave it all in the squat rack, then I will be stronger.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Most squat days I just want to squat and do nothing else. By the time my warmups are done I am 25 minutes in and just want to stick with them and nothing else.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

My favorite abrevaited routine is squat, and press.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #7
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Dan John has said, all you really need is a Clean and multiple Presses.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
Violent Volume
Brawn
Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Violent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good posts

From 72 different angles so we can hit every muscle?
Violent Volume is offline   Reply With Quote