Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Articles (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   5/3/1 and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7353)

BendtheBar 09-18-2011 12:31 AM

5/3/1 and Bodybuilding

5/3/1 and Bodybuilding

5/3/1 and Bodybuilding - JimWendler.com

5/3/1 and Bodybuilding
The main movement stays the same and keeps strength in the program. This allows you to progress from week to week and actually get stronger, something lacking in about 99% of non-assisted bodybuilders’ routines.
When you push the assistance in the program below, keep the reps on the final set to just the bare minimum or just slightly over.
For conditioning, I highly recommend 30-40 minutes of walking every day. Yes, walking. If you’re asking why something so non-strenuous: if physique goals are your only concern, do not let the conditioning take away from your recovery.
Here’s a sample template:
Day 1: Shoulders and Biceps

* Standing Military Press – 5/3/1
* DB Military Press – 4 x12
* Side Laterals/Rear Laterals – 4 x12
* Barbell Curls – 4 x12
* Preacher Curls – 4 x10

Day 2: Back

* Deadlift – 5/3/1
* Bent Over Rows – 4 x12
* Chin ups – 4 x10 (or do Lat Pulldowns)
* Good Mornings – 4 x10
* Hanging Leg Raises – 4 x12

Day 3: Chest and Triceps

* Bench Press – 5/3/1
* Weighted Dips – 4 x10
* DB Flyes – 4 x12
* Triceps Pushdowns – 5 x 20
* Push ups – 4 sets to failure

Day 4: Legs and Abs

* Squat – 5/3/1
* Leg Press – 5 x 15
* Leg Curls – 5 x 15
* Leg Extensions – 4 x12
* Ab Wheel – 4 x12

SeventySeven 09-18-2011 01:34 AM

Looks awesome.

LtL 09-18-2011 03:01 AM

Looks good.

LtL

Kuytrider 09-18-2011 05:20 AM

Looks like a savage program. Anyone committed to it will reap significant rewards though. One for 2012 perhaps? ;)

Off Road 09-18-2011 06:26 AM

It looks okay, but...

I would like to see a little more balance between push and pull exercises. There are two full days of pushing and only one pulling.

I would like to see more seperation between the bicep day and the pulling day. Right now they are back-to-back and the poor little biceps aren't getting a lot of chance to recover.

I'd also like to see the chin-ups come before the rows in the exercise order. Not a lot of guys are strong enough and light enough to complete all those chin-ups after pre-fatiguing the arms with the rows. That would mean they'd have to use a pull-down machine which I feel is an inferior exercise.

I think his powerlifting templates have more balance and can be just as effective if you throw in a few of the other exercises that he included in this routine.

Carl1174 09-18-2011 06:39 AM

It looks OK in bodybuilding split kind of way. No disrespect meant to bb splits by that. But it has all the problems of a normal bb split. GM's on back day, but they work the Hams too, biceps getting hit on two days solid, that kind of thing. i think someone could get good results from it, but personally i think I just prefer to work movements rather than muscles... Perhaps thats why i dont look like a bodybuilder though....

Carl.

BendtheBar 09-18-2011 08:42 AM

I personally thought the boring but big was a pretty good bodybuilding template because of the volume on the big lifts.

Carl1174 09-18-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 172085)
I personally thought the boring but big was a pretty good bodybuilding template because of the volume on the big lifts.

Me too... 5x10 is a good place to start to encourgae growth and the regular 5/3/1 takes care of the strength.

I think if you 'just' worked the big 4 then you could get big and stong all over with an enviable and balanced physique :mh:

Carl.

BendtheBar 09-18-2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl1174 (Post 172088)
Me too... 5x10 is a good place to start to encourgae growth and the regular 5/3/1 takes care of the strength.

I think if you 'just' worked the big 4 then you could get big and stong all over with an enviable and balanced physique :mh:

Carl.

I'm right there with you Carl.

I assume by chin ups Wendler means pull ups. Chin ups to me are palms toward face.

Carl1174 09-18-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 172089)
I'm right there with you Carl.

I assume by chin ups Wendler means pull ups. Chin ups to me are palms toward face.

I think so... funny though i always think it the other way round. Chin ups - wide grip hands facing away. Pull ups - close grip palms towards me

Carl.