Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Articles
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Articles Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, Nutrition, Supplement Articles.

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Old
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Habits of Strong Lifters
by BendtheBar 09-12-2011, 02:03 PM

Habits of Strong Lifters

http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/ha...trong-lifters/

* Consistency – Without a doubt, the strongest and best lifters in the world have consistently busted their ass in the weight room. For decades. Not weeks, not a year, but decades. There are genetic freaks out there that achieve a high level of strength quickly, but comparing yourself to them is unfair and will probably drive you out of the sport and into a 10-year Pop Tarts & Vicodin bender. Now, consistency doesn’t always mean they’re going balls out, every day. It means they chip away slowly, but surely.
* Drive/Perseverance – Even with injuries, plateaus, loss of training partners, gyms, etc., the great lifters will find a way to adapt and overcome. If that means training alone in a barbaric gym in their garage, they do it. If that means having to train in a commercial gym by themselves, they get it done. If that means they have to train around an injury, they research and find a way.Nothing will stand in their way and when an obstacle appears, they don’t get frustrated; they simply find a different route around it. It’s easy to be motivated and excited to train when everything is going your way. It’s another thing to hit a wall, scramble, kick, and scratch until you look back and see the marks of blood and sweat you leave behind.
* Open Mind (with Filter) – You have to be open to new ideas, but you have to also be wary of what you read. Usually an older, more experienced lifter can filter through some of the bullshit, but sometimes desperation can lead to some poor decisions. A lifter MUST have a core, a philosophy that he adheres to. He has to STAND for something. Yet he also has to learn to open himself up to new ideas and be smart enough to place them into his training without upsetting his core beliefs.

Now those are the “mind musts” of being involved with lifting for a long time. Here are the “body musts.”

* Stretching and mobility should be a priority.
* Maintain decent conditioning levels – you don’t need to be a marathon runner but don’t turn into a heavy breathing slob either.
* Use a full range of motion.
* Understand the difference between muscles and movements.
* You didn’t start lifting weights to become smaller. (Some of you really need to let that one sink in.)
* Train around injuries, not through them.
* Write a Training Manifesto – I have a “Train to be Awesome” list that I refer to when I feel like I’m losing track of where I’m going/where I’ve been. Refer to this when you’re “lost.” Everyone needs to have their own Training Manifesto and it’s all based on what you need and want from training. You don’t have to share this with anyone – just hold yourself accountable.
* Don’t be afraid to do what you want, not what others want you to do. Don’t hold yourself to others’ standards – especially when your standards should be higher.
* Training should be fun; there’s joy in the pain of the process. When it becomes tiresome or becomes a “job” remember why you began training in the first place. It’s not supposed to appease anyone but you.
* Fads come and go, but the barbell remains the same. Respect it accordingly.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Views 910 Comments 16
Sponsored Links
Total Comments 16

Comments

Old 09-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #11
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 34
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Snatch
Fav Supp: Elk
Wlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Sometimes I feel like he's stealing all my good material.
But see there is room for both of you in our hearts

"There's no such thing as shaping and toning. Only stronger and weaker." -Mark Rippetoe
Wlfdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I'm a little bit country, he's a little bit rock 'n' roll.

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #13
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

"Stubborn" sums it up nicely for me
As in I'm too stubborn to switch routines or lifts until I reach my goals. Or I'm too stubborn to admit that there might be other ways to reach my goals. Or I'm too stubborn to miss a workout because it's part of my weekly routine.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:20 PM   #14
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 34
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Snatch
Fav Supp: Elk
Wlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
I'm a little bit country, he's a little bit rock 'n' roll.
Now you're dating yourself. Marie was a hottie!

LOL! I think death metal/hard core is a bit of a departure from rock-n-roll?

"There's no such thing as shaping and toning. Only stronger and weaker." -Mark Rippetoe
Wlfdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #15
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfdg View Post
Now you're dating yourself. Marie was a hottie!

LOL! I think death metal/hard core is a bit of a departure from rock-n-roll?
I have odd tastes, including death metal. Since I like alternative country bands like Son Volt and Wilco, I took the country side.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #16
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
"Stubborn" sums it up nicely for me
As in I'm too stubborn to switch routines or lifts until I reach my goals. Or I'm too stubborn to admit that there might be other ways to reach my goals. Or I'm too stubborn to miss a workout because it's part of my weekly routine.
After a few decades you earn the right to be stubborn.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:28 AM   #17
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
My training style is enough to drive folks nuts. But I think as long as you are really tuned into what your body is telling you, you can go "free jazz" a bit more and actually have it be a benefit.

A lot of what I personally do is based on experience, and it's hard to explain to folks the little historical nuances I process from set to set.
Mine as well! It works for me.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote