Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Articles
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Articles Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, Nutrition, Supplement Articles.

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Old
Brawn
Points: 1,993, Level: 26 Points: 1,993, Level: 26 Points: 1,993, Level: 26
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Tug Gibson is new to the forumTug Gibson is new to the forum
Default Why Goals Suck by Dave tate
by Tug Gibson 06-29-2011, 01:18 PM

Why Goals Suck by Dave tate

Why Goals Suck

You canít know where youíre going without good goals. However, I just want to mention one aspect of training goals that you may not have considered: your goals can limit you. You should set that goal out there, not to work toward, but to smash. Too many times, Iíve heard people say, ďMy goal is to bench 300 pounds.Ē Then when they finally get there, they could have done so much more.

Iíve always been taught to break my PR by five pounds on my second attempt (in a powerlifting meet you get three attempts), and go for broke on my third. Itís also why when I was dieting for fat loss, I also set a timetable based on a number of weeks. If I reached my desired percent bodyfat early, I keep going. If I didnít reach it in time, I shut it down for another cycle.

I also suggest when setting goals is to keep your goal specific to yourself and a select few, and general to all others. In other words, if your goal is to bench 400 pounds, keep that as a marker in your mind, but if others ask just tell them, ďIím training for a bigger bench,Ē or ďIím working toward a new PR.Ē Your goal may be to get your bodyfat down to 6%, but all the masses need to know is, ďIím dieting right now.Ē

The reason for this is simple: 90% of everyone you meet are negative pricks who will go out of their way to tell you why you canít do something. Once they know your goal, theyíll try and tear you down. Just keep it vague, and all they can do is wish you success.

Of course, they may still try and tear you down once youíve actually accomplished your goal, but who cares. Youíve done the work and have the results to show for it. They couldnít have done it. So f*ck Ďem.

I do feel itís important to still put the goal out there to make you accountable, but Iíd only tell those who know you can do it and will hold you accountable. Take a good look at the people around you, and consider yourself lucky if you know even a small handful of people like this. But all you really need is one: you.

One last note on PRís. Make sure to strive for what I call ďrealĒ PRís. These are the ones you have to bust your ass to get like a new one rep max, max reps with 225, a lower body fat level, etc. Something that takes time and effort to accomplish. Something that says you really got better and didnít just have a good day. When you break a record on an accessory lift, perform a triple when you did a double last time, get 9 reps instead of 8 Ė these would be what I call a good day, progress and something that is supposed to happen. A PR should be sacred territory that actually takes some balls and means something. If you are hitting them every workout then I would suggest upping the anti a bit and go after something more challenging.
Views 557 Comments 0
Sponsored Links
Total Comments 0

Comments