Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Articles
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Articles Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, Nutrition, Supplement Articles.

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Old
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Bodybuilding OCD lifters by Dante (Doggcrapp)
by BendtheBar 03-06-2010, 08:44 AM

OCD in bodybuilding

I feel its number one the biggest problem in bodybuilding and the main reason so many people get nowhere in this sport....I really do. Ive never seen obsessive compulsive disorder displayed like Ive seen in the last year and a half as it has become in bodybuilding. There are people on bodybuilding message boards right now that are frozen in their tracks because they cant decide whether to use maltodextrin/dextrose postworkout or vitargo or etc etc etc etc etc...and its driving them absolutely bonkers. I so badly want to reach through the computer screen and shake people sometimes and get in their face and say "Do you really freaking think it matters that much?!?!?! It doesnt matter!!! In the big picture of things, that one particular subject that you are so obsessing on, isnt going to amount to that much!"

The OCD has gotten so bad in this sport that people are worrying about the littlest of things constantly and chronically .......and honestly I bet any money that the chronic stress of worrying about those trivial little things probably catabolizes more muscle tissue than anything that would of been gained (.05 pounds of muscle mass in the next year?) that would of been gained from it. I read through muscle message boards and see these guys whose best friends are the mirror, whose sense of being is if someone said they looked big today, whose definition of themselves is whether they feel ok about themselves as a bodybuilder at this moment, who are just nitpicking and analyzing every facet of things until it drives them freaking bonkers.

Guys puff their chest out and type to anyone who will listen to them on a message board "ok this is what ive decided to do" .....and they type out their training routine......only to secondguess everything 10 days later when they see a new article in a muscle magazine.
Want the one way ticket to getting absolutely nowhere in bbing? Jump around like a chicken with your head cut off doing this and that and then that over there and then the latest thing that comes down the pike in Flex, Muscular Development or Musclemag Intl to the point you have no idea what the hell works and what doesnt....

You know this stuff really isnt that hard...it really isnt. There are a handfull of individuals in this sport that want you to think it is some intricate scientific equation and they are the professor and you are the student. Why? Because of many factors.
1) it makes them money talking down to you
2) it makes them feel very important ( let me ask you something, yea its not this trivial but building big muscles is simply about doing today what you havent done previously weightlifting wise (lifting heavier) and eating enough food to take you up the growth ladder )......when these "professor's" realize that NO they are not stem cell researchers curing cancer, not doctors of nanotechnology and not astrophysicists but simply people telling other people how to lift weights to get bigger muscles, the reality of that is a wakeup call of "wow I aint really that important am I? Well at least I can talk down to all these muscleheads and feel that way"
3) Go read a Scott Abel article on "why he is so great and everyone else sucks" and you will get a good laugh...he is the #1 guy Im talking about here above......go cure Lou Gehrig's disease Scott and I'll applaud that bloated ego you have instead of "Well I got Joey to do 275 x 8 in the squat today...a personal best for him!"...LOL
Want a good way of telling if a trainer knows his **** as it pertains to building muscle mass? Look at his trainee's. Did he make someone into something special sizewise with the genetics that were handed to him or are they using top amateurs or pro bodybuilders who were already monstrous as their examples?
4) Justin Harris when he was out here with me commented about something he saw happen to him on the message boards. He typed out this long explanation about a subject and he did it quickly. Some guy was just waiting in the wings to blast "oh you are wrong about this (tiny bit of....and i mean tiny bit of info about digestion that didnt need an explanation to be truthful....everyone should of known what justin meant)....but there the guy was trying to make a name for himself with basically an OCD mindset on the smallest minute factor.
5) I have a problem with all the OCD in this sport sometimes as it pertains to individuals living and dieing by the latest science blurb......my problem is that it freezes individuals so they can no longer make an educated guess. HMMMM who came out with the insulin usage protocols? Science or Milos? Milos. Who came out with usage of GH dosing? Science or bodybuilders? bodybuilders. Christ the ACSM said in 1977 steroids didnt work for size or strength. Who developed Post Cycle Therapy? Science or bodybuilders? Bodybuilders. People who thought outside the box. Do you think you would have ever seen the "Skipload" by Skip in a lab assay?.....no you wouldnt....he thought it all out to himself...an educated guess....in a sport that is about educated extremes.

Bodybuilding by and large is a quite simple endeavor but there are 2 kinds of people drawn to it mainly....

a) athletes
b) very insecure people who want to be big yesterday and constantly worry if what they are doing is the right thing. These people also accuse the people in group (a) of having secrets, using 50x the drugs they are etc etc etc etc......

If the OCD people in this sport (and in my opinion that accounts for about 80%) started looking at things as "Time in" instead of "its all about secrets....they would be so far ahead of the game. When I say "time in" i mean "if you eat in a successful way and train in a progressive way its going to take you this amount of TIME to get to where you want to be".....so time is the end all be all equation here if you are doing things you KNOW and BELIEVE IN that will make you successfull.

Do you know who some of the best bodybuilders Ive ever trained were?

Guys who were busy....so busy they didnt have all day to worry about trivial things and questioning everything in training, diet etc etc. They just were busy! So they went to work or school, ate their meals like clockwork, trained progressively at 6pm, got home and studied or spent time with their wives or girlfriends (and didnt obsess about bodybuilding) and then 6 months/ a year later they are 12-25 pounds bigger muscularly.....because they didnt overthink everything and they put their TIME in.

Ok im rambling...Im getting OCD about OCD...Im stopping there.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Views 2098 Comments 10
Sponsored Links
Total Comments 10

Comments

Old 03-06-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I love it! That article speaks the truth, as it pertains to a lot of people.

Best thing I ever did for myself was to adopt the attitude of, "Keep it simple."

Then I made it a phrase to live by in the gym.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

this was an awesome read! mainly because it pertained to me at this point in my life and not getting that way about my training. K.I.S.S. as it is known here at MAB!
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I like to post things that speak to me, and that spoke to me.

Time in, time in, time in. Progression and food. The end.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-06-2010 at 09:47 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
RickB
Max Brawn
Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32

RickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good start

And that's because Dante is juiced out of his head and it doesn't matter at all when you do that. But a leisure PH user or a 100% natural wants all the tweaks they can get.

So his argument means sh!t to me. We are ALL OCD about it to some degree in some area of this eccentric lifestyle. But I do agree with just do the work and don't overthink this stuff.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter

I respect your feelings on this subject Rick, but I have to weigh in from the opposite side of the fence. I think Dante is weighing in on true OCD behavior and not legitimate concerns. I think his article is valid and important, regardless of what he takes.

I keep an eye on a forum that has an incredibly high density of beginners. And because of all the information currently available on the web, these guys look at muscle building like a 2000 piece puzzle. I see volumes of questions each day that go something like:

"What is better for building muscle, 3 or 5 grams of creatine?"

"I am taking 5 grams of BCAAs post-workout, but lifter X is taking 10 and said if I don't I risk losing muscle and going catabolic."

Regarding Dante, I ignore the man and look at the argument he is making. He has some great and valid points, especially about new science. It can lock up young lifters. It locks me up. One person says this based on a study, the next says the opposite.

My personal experiences are in line with Dante. I have never been OCD about much. Sure, I am OCD about protein feedings and daily calories. But I have never counted fat grams, carb grams, worried about when I take my creatine, or even worried about eating 100% clean.

Progression on compound lifts has always served me best. What rate you progress, well, that's up to each to figure out. Lifting is a marathon.

The overarching point of this article is: focus on the basics; trust in the basics. That rings true with me. And the more I study natural lifters from the pre-steroid era, the more I realize that we are very OCD about every aspect of lifting compared to them.

I in no way think he is ruling out tweaks in approach. In fact, I would wager that he would recommend that you find out for yourself what works and what doesn't. I think that's part of the process.

Everything works, but not for everyone. Lift weights, eat food, put in your time, and learn your body. Those are really the basics.

I've had people try to convince me that I shouldn't eat beans without rice - or I would sacrifice muscle growth. I've had people tell me that egg yolks will raise my lipids, 'eff up my hormonal balance, and fubar my muscle growth. I've had people tell me not to drink whey protein throughout the day - that I needed protein blend X at this time and protein blend Y at that time - or else I wouldn't gain. on and on and on this game goes.

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
RickB
Max Brawn

RickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good start

No I agree Steve, there are good points in it. But you know my largest flaw and that's paying more attention to the messenger rather than the message. That's this stupid built in "focus on the wrong stuff" thing I was born with.

But yes, there are some that get locked in on the tiniest things. There's a young one over at IPYU that if he'd ever quit thinking and just bust his arse and eat smart, he would get somewhere.

But anyways, yeah I know there are good points made. BTW, I think egg yolks make you stronger, but they won't make you leaner LOL! Cholesterol is good for the your test...but not so much your heart. So whatchagonnado? haha!
Old 03-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #8
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

progression is king and thats all i want to know right now. the rest is just gonna fall into place. keep my diet in check and keep my head screwed on right and simply put my time in the gym. thats enuff said for me.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
RickB
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post
progression is king and thats all i want to know right now. the rest is just gonna fall into place. keep my diet in check and keep my head screwed on right and simply put my time in the gym. thats enuff said for me.
and that's why you'll be successful!
Old 03-06-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I'd read this before and Dante speaks truth. Too many young lifters getting bogged down in the minutiae of nutrient timing, rep' ranges and the relative merits of Waxy Maize, Dextrose and Maltodextrin. If they printed off all of the crap they read and either lifted it or ate it, they'd be a lot better off

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote