Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Articles
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Articles Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, Nutrition, Supplement Articles.

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Old
Max Brawn
Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%
RobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master member
Default Why Add Olympic Lifting
by RobMoriRB 02-07-2014, 06:34 PM

Why Add Olympic Lifting

By: Rob "The BumbleBee" Mori

Before we start with the article, an you get the idea about adding Olympic Lifts into your routine. With these two lifts, it will take a lot more time perfecting the form needed. It takes a lot of stabilizing from the muscles to keep the bar over your head for the snatch. If you want to go learn the proper form, hire a coach for a bit before you start to go solo.

If you look at Olympic lifters there is something different, maybe there size of there Quads? If you look at Most Olympic lifters there Quads are massive. Wondering why your quads do not look like there quads? Well I will take the time to discuss the benfits of having Olympic Lifting an also the cons.

Let's starts with the PROs of "Oly Lifting". From there hundreds of reps a week they do to prefect there lifts, everything is always targeting there Legs. By doing the Snatch an Clean protion, you are also making your deadlift stronger every rep you're doing. The reason behind this, is due to the fact that you start the lift with a Dead Lift. For Example on the Clean you Do hook grip Deadlift, on the Snatch you do Wide Grip Dead lifts. Every training session is going to help your dead lifts with out directly working on Dead lifts.

For the two lifts, it takes ten times the force needed to move the weight above your head or to your shoulders. This will help make dead lifts a lot more explosiveness from the floor. The effects for squats will be more direct out of the bottom of your squat. It will help you power throught the bottom portion of the squat, because you are use to driving up from the bottom after completing the lift. These lifts are a bit unsafe if you do not know how to do them properly.

When snatching if you feel the bar going LET IT GO, do not try to be a hero an save the bar. What can happen if you don't follow this advice you could possiably tear your rotater cuff. You also need to know when to bail out of the sntach, because you can destroy your spine if you collaps with it over you. For the Clean&Jerk lift, you can destroy your wrist. Since you are in a vunerable position with your wrist cocked back.

These lifts are like anything in life, high risk with high reward. These lifts will really improve your squat an dead lift, but you won't beable to dead lift every week. Since you are doing a lot of pulls you don't have to do dead lifts week in an week out. Working them every other week will be perfect enought. In My Opinion I would add the "Oly Lifts" to the routine, but you do have to make special adjustments to your routine.
Dead Lift:455/500/?

Master Goal: Compete in 1 Lifting Sport!!! Completed Nov 16th 2014

Block Program:http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...ad.php?t=17576
BLOG:http://theanimalmethod.wordpress.com/

Last edited by RobMoriRB; 02-08-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Views 349 Comments 3
Sponsored Links
Total Comments 3

Comments

Old 02-08-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I would not recommend adding any full Olympic lifts into a routine for a bodybuilder or powerlifter unless they are willing to get coached on how to do them properly. I would admit that power cleans, high pulls and snatch grip pulls have their benefits but they are also relatively risk free. The risk to reward of trying to do a full snatch with the lousy shoulder, hip and ankle mobility that most regular lifters have is not worth it IMO.
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
themaster2981
Max Brawn
Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Training Exp: 3 years serious
Fav Exercise: All
Fav Supp: Desi Ghee
themaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beast

Olympic lifts are more difficult to master. As Ltl said, a good coach is must for these lifts. I would not take the risk of trying these lifts out on my own.

"Move me out of the away so that someone else can lift": Ed Coan after injuring himself during a squat attempt of 970 lbs in 2002

POWERLIFTING - ABSOLUTE POWER
themaster2981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #4
RobMoriRB
Max Brawn
Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Training Exp: 3
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Mutant Mass
RobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master member

I was directing it at people who are on the edge of adding it in....an I do state in the article two things.

1)"hire a coach for a bit before you start to go solo."
2)"These lifts are a bit unsafe if you do not know how to do them properly."
Dead Lift:455/500/?

Master Goal: Compete in 1 Lifting Sport!!! Completed Nov 16th 2014

Block Program:http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...ad.php?t=17576
BLOG:http://theanimalmethod.wordpress.com/
RobMoriRB is online now   Reply With Quote