Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Articles
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Articles Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, Nutrition, Supplement Articles.

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Old
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default To Squat or Not to Squat
by BendtheBar 05-29-2013, 12:28 PM

I talked about John Grimek and his legendary 400 lb. squats that he performed for repetitions well into his senior years.

My good friend Grant brought up some interesting points regarding the long term practicality of using heavy weights while doing squats in advanced years.

Here's his letter:

================================================

Hello Bill,

Like you, I was very much a fan of Grimek.

However, knowing that he had at least one hip replacement, one has to ask how much of a factor was his doing 400 lb. squats while in his eighties insofar as having to have this surgery!

I have been told that his demise occurred not long after his surgery.

If this is indeed the case, one has to question the wisdom of doing 400 lb. squats in their eighties in order to keep the "legs straight"!

On a similar note, if I recall correctly, didn't Paul Anderson have at least one hip replacement before his death.

As you know, Anderson was prodigious in his squatting.

One can't help but wonder if heavy squatters are more prone to hip related problems in their "later" years?

Yet another example might be Clarence Ross who I understand had to have at least one hip surgically replaced in his senior years.

While I have only sited these three old timer examples, I'm quite certain there are sure to be others.

With this in mind, I can't help but think maybe the great Chicago Bear linebacker, Dick Butkus, was right when he was quoted in a Sports Illustrated article as saying that years of heavy poundages turns the joints into sawdust!

I would appreciate your views with regard to these individuals as well as the Butkus remark.

Sincerely, Grant from Ontario, Canada

================================================

My question at this point is...

How many orthopedic surgeons would be in business if the only patients they had were weightlifters or, for that matter, athletes of any kind?

In other words, are weightlifters any more prone to get hip, knee and shoulder replacement surgery than those who don't lift weights?

The answer is...

No!

I believe the percentage of people getting this type of surgery that have never touched a weight is by far higher.

And just how do I know?

Take a look around.

Furthermore, ask an orthopedic surgeon.

You may be surprised.

How many of you know someone who has had joint replacement surgery?

Did they lift?

I'd be interested in hearing from you, Steven.

Meanwhile, if you are looking for the best instruction for getting bigger and stronger check out the following best seller on the subject.

"Super Squats - How to Gain 30 Pounds of Muscle in 6 Weeks"
by Randy Strossen

A veritable masterpiece providing practical training routines centered around the king of lifts...the squat.

Check it out right here:

Randall J. Strossen - Super Squats: How to Gain 30 Pounds of Muscle in 6 Weeks - IronMind

Again, got a question, fire away...I look forward to hearing from you.

Until the next time...

Yours for greater strength,

Bill Hinbern

P.S. "Rome wasn't built in a day...but they worked on it EVERY DAY." - David Burk

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Views 415 Comments 8
Sponsored Links
Total Comments 8

Comments

Old 05-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

It's a very good point, hubby's joint replacements are a direct result of year's of damage caused by prescribed medications, that have to be taken to stay alive (so no way out of it); someone else, who we saw with knee replacements, had hers because of medical illness, not meds.

Some people's joints, don't handle things so well, whether that be ordinary daily activity, lifting, or meds...or more to the point a combination of those things.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

My mom is in her 50's and getting ready to have her second hip replacement. She hasn't been active in a looong time, and I'd bet that she's never done a resisted squat in her entire life. She DOES spend almost all day sitting and has not really tried to take care of her body. Instead, she focusses on a low fat diet, so she eats lots of processed carbs and has continued to gain weight year after year. It's been really hard to watch, but she's committed to it and it's really sad.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
Beverly McD
Max Brawn
Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: Since 1987
Training Type: Powerlifting
Beverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machine

Squat
Beverly McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly McD View Post
Squat
I agree. Squat away
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

My mom has had a hip replaced. Did not squat.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Been doing variants of the squat (front squat, Back squat, etc) for several years.

Be 52 this year. Knees and hips couldn't feel any better.

What I do know, is that at age 45/46, things began to change more noticably physically, and my knees and lower back did hurt at the time. Been really active the years prior with the military and police work, but gained an emmense amount of fat weight over a large period of time.

When younger, I always had a very strong "set point" of strength and endurance, and litterally never had to train to pass PT Tests and what not, it was always there for me to pass these sorts of things, but this changed post 40.

I owe a huge set of gratitude to the iron and it is the reason it changed my future history....in the present, and is the very reason being middle aged, I do not have hip or knee issues (as compared to the rest of my family....brothers, sisters, they do have these sorts of issues, and do not exercise). One thing I have learned over the years, is that we all do not react to stresses of life the same nor to the stimulation under the iron, and some experiences can be different dependent upon the variables involved.

Peace and harmony to all of you!

ROCK ON!!

Don

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 05-29-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

I am over 40 - when I squat and deadlift, I feel great.

If I step away from training for any period of time, I feel like crap. ( Which I have done lately)
Activity does not kill you- it makes you stronger. Sitting on your ass all day will kill you.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
JBrown
Brawn
Points: 2,060, Level: 27 Points: 2,060, Level: 27 Points: 2,060, Level: 27
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
JBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributor

Who cares if your body breaks down from lifting, it can be put back together.

An unstable mind is a much bigger problem all together.
JBrown is online now   Reply With Quote