Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Articles
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Articles Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, Nutrition, Supplement Articles.

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Old
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Personalizing Periodization
by BendtheBar 05-31-2012, 06:13 PM

Personalizing Periodization

by Bodybygamma

After a long hiatus from training more than 1 and rarely 2 times a week, focusing on work; over the last 2 months I have shifted back towards training 3-4 times a week consistently not skipping a beat and I have learned 3 things I wish to share with you:

1. 95% of Strength training articles on periodization are pure B.S based on theory not practice.
2. Not reading as much nonsense posted on these popular agenda sites has made me strong.
3. Training routines donít have to be complicated to work and donít need to be followed 100%.

Just take for example *Ed Coanís peaking cycle, (Ed Coan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Start off with roughly 65% for 2sets of 10reps. Add either 10lbs to 20lbs each week or 3-5% depending on your taste and slowly reduce the reps as the weight increases.

But I can only count my reps up to one hand, is there any way around reps.

Simple, if you donít like 2 sets of 10 then do 4 sets of 5 or 5 sets of 4. (It is not rocket science.) 2x10=20, and so does 4x5=20, 1x20 (Not recommended) = 20. You can even do 2 sets of 5 and 1 set of 10 (2x5=10+10=20) Itís all relative.

If you have no idea what I am talking about GOOGLE away and feed your brainÖ (Here you go

Sample Ed Coan Peaking Calculator (Enter your current SRM in pounds):

100% MAX - SETS X REPS

Week 1 - 2 sets x 10 reps with 67%
Week 2 - 2 sets x 10 reps with 67%
Week 3 - 2 sets x 8 reps with 71%
Week 4 - 2 sets x 8 reps with 75%
Week 5 - 2 sets x 5 reps with 78%
Week 6 - 2 sets x 5 reps with 82%
Week 7 - 2 sets x 5 reps with 86%
Week 8 - 2 sets x 5 reps with 89%
Week 9 - 2 sets x 3 reps with 93%
Week 10 - 2 sets x 3 reps with 97%
Week 11 - 2 sets x 2 reps with 100%
Week 12 - 2 sets x 2 reps with 104%
Week 13 - 1 sets x 1 reps with 108%
Week 14 - 1 sets x 1 reps with 112%

*Taken from http://www.joeskopec.com/coancalc.html*

But you said 65% it clearly states 67% what are you trying to pull?

Donít be afraid to round off. Just keep it in moderation (between 2-9% /2.5-10lbs jumps.)

But I canít heal in one weeks time does that mean I canít follow the program?

Nonsense, it doesnít matter if you Squat every 10 days, or alternate Odd/Even weeks switching the heavier week 2 with week 1 on Deadlifts so you can save your back for your beloved Bench Press. WHAT DOES MATTER IS YOU DO WORK! (Blasphemy always put Deadlifts in front of Bench Press, even if youíre a T-rex >

All this being said you shouldnít stray too far from the guidelines of the routine/program that you have chosen. And I canít stress this enough:

If it says Squats donít substitute in Leg Presses (SMH). What you can do is substitute in Front Squats, Box Squats, Reverse/Against Band Squats, Zombie SquatsÖ SQUATS = some type of SQUATS. I hope you get the point. Same goes for BENCH PRESS = BENCH PRESS VARIATION. DEADLIFTS = DEADLIFTS VARIATION. OVERHEAD PRESS = OVERHEAD PRESS VARIATION. Simple, no? Ok let me help you with a cheat sheet:

Ok now back to the basics, Strength equals:
--Brute Force (Static/Slow Twitch muscles) and Power (Dynamic/Fast Twitch muscles);
--A Conditioned Central Nervous System (CNS) & proper Mechanics/Leverage (Form).

*Technique and form is relative to goal/purpose; and is solely based on your body*.

Assistance Movements should assist your weaknesses (Problem=Solution):

Muscular imbalances (under/over-developed muscle groups) = Isolation exercises, High Reps, Low sets for pre/re-hab (20x2-3). Moderate Reps/Sets otherwise: (5-12x3-6).

Horrible technique = Multiple Sets (6-10) for 1-3 Reps (Between 70% and 90%) Very Slow = move very fast, lower rest periods (30-90secs) Versus Bands/Chains.

No endurance (muscleís fatigue fast) = Conditioning & High Volume (High Sets/Reps).

Overall out of shape = Cardio & General Physical Preparednessí (GPP).

Central Nervous System (1rpm Training) = (Low Sets/Low reps) Heavy Weight, (100%+) Usually a static hold, partial movement or assisted variation.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 05-31-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Views 491 Comments 4
Sponsored Links
Total Comments 4

Comments

Old 05-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding, Powerlifting and Muscle Building. – Powerlifting: Personalizing Periodization

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Bumping this so I can read it after dinner
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I like it. It's very similar to the progression method I used when I first started lifting. I started with a weight that allowed 12 reps, then added weight every session. I took a deload when all lifts were failing at 5 reps and started over. Simple, and it works.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:26 AM   #5
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Slowly making my way back.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote