Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Appreciation Threads
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Appreciation Threads Lifter Appreciation Threads. Contains resources, pictures, workouts, videos and articles on specific lifters.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:03 AM   #21
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

An Effective Bodybuilding Training Split

Quote:
Monday & Thursday – Upper body workout (Chest, Back, Shoulders, Biceps & Triceps)

Tuesday & Friday – Lower body workout (Forearms, Thighs, Inner Thighs, Hamstrings, & Calves)

6 sets of 6 reps or 8 sets of 8 reps or 4 sets of 12 reps

- Workout for 30 – 40 minutes

- One exercise per body part

- Change exercise every 2 to 3 weeks

- 15 seconds rest between each set

- Muscles worked with intensity should be rested for 72 hours

For those who cannot do a split routine or are pushed for time, you can try working out the whole body for one hour twice a week.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2011, 12:04 AM   #22
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

A Real Vince Gironda Workout

A Real Vince Gironda Workout | Iron Guru

Quote:
The real problem with writing a Vince workout is so much is lost in the translation. Side Laterals to Vince took on a whole new meaning, as did pretty much every other exercise performed at Vince's. He, Nick, or other members were quick to bark orders commanding you to perform a movement with a certain, precise style. It was this “style” (for lack of a better word) that would make Vince’s hack squat a multi exercise station. I am hoping that most people on this forum understand what I mean, and already know many of Vince’s “rules” for the exercises I am about mention.

I was asked to provide a “Vince” routine. Also mentioned is people’s misconception of Vince’s hatred toward squats and bench presses. So in order to satisfy the squatters below is a sample leg workout from many years ago. Keep in mind there were no routines or typical workouts at Vince’s.

Day One: Quads, Hams, Calves

Leg Extensions 8x15
Hack Squat (a) 8x15
Hack Squat (b) 8x15
Leg Curl 8x15
Calf Raises 8x20

There was VERY LITTLE REST – EVER. I’m talking 15 – 20 seconds break, “take 10 deep breaths…GO!”.

All of these were performed in a very strict manner – Vince Style. I am not going to go into great detail about each exercise, but briefly put:

Leg Extensions were performed while basically performing a sit up motion coordinated with the flexion and extension of the knee.

Hack Squat (a) was performed with the feet together, toes out, heels all the way to the back of sleds platform, and the knees bent way over the feet upon descent.

Hack Squat (b) was performed with the feet together, toes straight forward, and toes nearly hanging off the front of the platform.

Leg Curls were performed in a similar coordinated fashion as Leg Ext…rocking upper body up and down while performing Leg Curls.

Calf Raises had to be performed with your SHOES OFF, and very strictly. If you are using a ton of weight - you’re doing them wrong.

They (Vince and Nick) liked higher reps for legs, at least my legs. Those eight sets were built over time, starting with one each and each workout building. But I gotta tell ya, for some reason I can not come close to doing that workout any more. There was something special at Vince’s Gym that could make me like a machine and keep going.

Some of you may find it interesting that while they used high volume training in his gym, they also openly advocated Mentzer’s Heavy Duty back in the day. They said it was sound training, but for most people its better for them to handle more volume. Maybe they meant safety, but in my opinion they were probably referring to creating the “illusion” of a perfect body.

Please remember this was performed after years of training and under guidance.

That workout was/is brutal. Like I said I’ve tried going back to it and I can’t seem to do it without utilizing major drop-sets. Those days of training like that was when I was 19 years old and in excellent shape (my waist was 27” and my thighs were 28”). 8 x 8 is not for the novice. And yes, like I said, it was months before I could work up to that volume. The main part was focus and drive to just get it done. I think those leg workouts lasted at most 35 minutes. I often tried to do too much too soon (because I always figured more is better) but I would try to stop myself as I matured, otherwise he would yell at me for overtraining. I was actually sent home one day because I just kept training (I was about 15 or so).

A sample beginner workout was more like:

One set each between 8 to 12 reps

Leg Extension
Leg Curl
Hack Squat
Pull Downs
Decline Fly (with those low pulleys Vince had)
Side Laterals
Scott Curl
Tri Pushdown

That’s what I started with more or less. And still, that is more or less what I start my clients with as well.

Vince performed this as a circuit. Each workout the volume increased by performing the circuit one more additional time. I know he really liked two-a-days with this as well.

Really the importance of Vince’s training wasn’t in the “routines” so much as it was in the way an exercise was performed. They (Vince and Nick) were VERY specific about the way an exercise was to be done in their gym.

Today, I perform very few sets per workout, but the sets I perform are done with precision. I think Vince would still approve of my current training, yet still have many suggestions to make it better.

At Vince's I was often instructed to do routines consisting of three sets per exercise and between two and three exercises per bodypart. The first set was light and used to get perfect form. The second set was heavy and to failure, and then the third was a no rest, drop set. The emphasis was on form and failure. Reps were moderate between 8 - 15.

Vince was very specific about a muscle needing 72 hours of rest. But he also had most of the beginners (including me) workout day after day using a circuit routine.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:08 AM   #23
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Old 10-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #24
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Learned in Muscle, Smoke and Mirrors thank Vince Gironda was a student of Weston Price, and often ate his meat raw...tartar, etc.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #25
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
8. Carbohydrates mixed with protein turn to fat. Carbohydrates only turn to fat. Start counting grams of carbohydrates. Forget counting calories.
While I respect and appreciate Vince,

This statement as a "whole" is flat BS. Think about it.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:52 AM   #26
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

So Vince ate 24-36 eggs a day! I assume he ate the yolks as well and he lived to be almost 80. Better start chowing down on some good old-fashioned omlettes. 8.4g an egg and 15 for £1.50. That's 84 grams of protein for £1! Where I live, you'll get about half that amount of protein per £1 of chicken you buy.

And 15 sets of 4 reps of squats would be fun, if you are a masochist!
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:14 AM   #27
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
So Vince ate 24-36 eggs a day! I assume he ate the yolks as well and he lived to be almost 80. Better start chowing down on some good old-fashioned omlettes. 8.4g an egg and 15 for £1.50. That's 84 grams of protein for £1! Where I live, you'll get about half that amount of protein per £1 of chicken you buy.

And 15 sets of 4 reps of squats would be fun, if you are a masochist!
Vince never turned away from hard training.

He was a fan of raw foods. I know he enjoyed the research of Weston Price, so I thought I would post this link:

The Weston A. Price Foundation - Weston A Price Foundation

Old 10-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #28
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Vince never turned away from hard training.
I would love to see how he would go about training a complete male novice. Would he still disavow the back squat and the deadlift? Would he still go for the neck press instead of the bench press?

For female lifters though, Vince's training method was different. He put a great stress on the back squat, to build a great a$$. Gotta like the man for this
kitarpyar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:08 AM   #29
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
I would love to see how he would go about training a complete male novice. Would he still disavow the back squat and the deadlift? Would he still go for the neck press instead of the bench press?

For female lifters though, Vince's training method was different. He put a great stress on the back squat, to build a great a$$. Gotta like the man for this
Good question. In reading about Vince he seemed very comfortable with holding bold opinions. But even if I disagree with some of his notions, such as the squat making the butt too big, I still respect him.

After college, and 2 years of squatting, I got a lot of great comments on my butt from woman. I will take the big butt any day.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #30
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Good question. In reading about Vince he seemed very comfortable with holding bold opinions. But even if I disagree with some of his notions, such as the squat making the butt too big, I still respect him.
I agree. I respect Vince Gironda - he had a star clientile and obviously his methods work. He also had a aesthetic physique to walk his talk.

But just as any training philosophy, it can't be applied to everyone. I don't like the parts about not squatting or deadlifting either. Parks, Draper and Zane all squatted and deadlifted. None of them had a blocky mid-section.

Quote:
After college, and 2 years of squatting, I got a lot of great comments on my butt from woman. I will take the big butt any day.
A bit off topic, but sometimes I think men try double guessing women regarding their ideas of ideal male physique, and fail. We have our own ideals and fool ourselves into thinking that's what the opposite sex wants. Its natural for men to want to be alpha, but the women prefer the beta

Its kind of the same with women, wanting to get thinner, while they dont realize *most* guys like a well endowed figure compared to a skinny figure.

Most women (especially mid 20s and older) that I know prefer guys with a good sized butt, a physique that's more muscular than average, but not overly huge, body fat that's low enough to show an outline of abs, but still has an ounce of fat over the abs. At 5'10", think 165-180 @ 10-12%, and you will be a hit with *most* ladies, physique-wise.

Last edited by kitarpyar; 10-08-2011 at 11:47 AM.
kitarpyar is online now   Reply With Quote