Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Appreciation Threads
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Appreciation Threads Lifter Appreciation Threads. Contains resources, pictures, workouts, videos and articles on specific lifters.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Bodybuilding Nutrition By Vince Gironda

1. Proteins: Meats, Eggs, Milk, Fish, Cheese, Protein Powders, Fowl, Amino Acids.
2. Minerals: Mineral Tablets, Kelp. 3. Vitamins: A-B-C-E-F.
4. Digestive Supports: H. C. L. Enzyme Tabs., Fats and Oils.
5. Metabolic Stimulators: Kelp, Fats and Oils, Minerals.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Vince Gironda Maximum Definition Diet | Iron Guru

Quote:
Vince Gironda Maximum Definition Diet
Vince loved the protein and fat diet - I believe he called it the Maximum Definition Diet. I used Vince's diets when preparing for contests with great success.

Basically I was eating/drinking dozens of eggs a day (anywhere from 1-3dozen depending on what else I ate). Whole eggs are a perfect food (and cheap). I had only 3-4 meals a day, but between meals I would take a handfull of liver tablets. The most important supplements will be the enzymes, liver tabs, and EFA's. These will help with digestion and cravings.

Make sure you take in only fat and protein, as there are carbs hidden throughout the Standard American Diet (S.A.D.). Also try to limit your processed food intake (ie. use butter - not margarine, etc.) And drink plenty of water - hyperhydration. Every 3-4 (sometimes 5) days have ONE carb only meal. Don't make it too big, and don't eat crap...I guarantee you will feel like crap. Hell, I would get bloated after eating a small bowl of rice while dieting.

The longest I used this diet was 12 weeks. But honestly by week 3 or 4 it was no big deal and could have gone on much longer. But Nick would have me vary between the definition, hormone, and mass diets. Despite other's "beliefs", quality research shows no problems using this diet long term (research the Eskimo or Inuit Diet, or read Will Brinks info).

Hopefully I got the major stuff. Vince said that creating a the illusion of a muscular body was 85% nutrition. That means you MUST eat correctly, assuming you are already training correctly.

As I recall Vince said that raw, fertile eggs stimulated the endocrine system and therefore naturally increased growth related hormones. I would drink the shakes he recommended throughout the day for a couple of months (8wks) and switch to another more moderate diet (ie. mass or maintenance). These shakes consisted of raw eggs (12), cream, sometimes wheat germ, banana, and a milk/egg protein (now I use whey)... among other things.

The results aren't mind blowing, but they are noticable. First, recovery and growth happens more readily after just a week on this diet. Second, little aches and pains (low back, etc.) seem to diminish. And finally, I swear I feel a stronger pump during and after training. My body appears to lose fat and gain muscle, but nothing too dramatic (its not magic). And, barring injury, my weight and/or reps increase steadily.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:49 PM   #13
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Vince Gironda Eggs Diet | Iron Guru

Quote:
Vince Gironda Eggs Diet

2-3 dozen eggs a day is a lot, especially if your current diet is moderate in protein and fat. Take it easy at first, and remember you will not be taking in any carbohydrates (assuming you are doing the fat loss diet) except once every 3-4 days in the form of a carb only meal.

Cooking and eating 2-3 dozen cooked eggs a day is difficult, but I found shakes to be the most convenient way of getting my fill.

One shake consists of:

Cream (half and half)
12 eggs (raw)
Water and Ice
Pure protein powder (quality whey/or milk and egg) - the powder is mainly for flavor.

Drink this throughout your morning as breakfast.

Adjust the volume to your preference (ie. taste and consistency).

And adjust the egg content to what you can handle (ex. 6 eggs x 3 x day = 1.5 doz. = half way to 3 doz.)

Repeat at noon and evening. Or make several shakes in the morning and bring them with you to work (so long as you have a fridge for storage).

If you want to eat, eat some eggs or meat. But you'll probably find your appetite calms down, and your cravings will subside.

Nick told me my diet was...

eggs: unlimited
meat: unlimited
..."thats it, any questions?"

remember to take digestive enzymes, an EFA blend, and a quality multi-vit (good b complex)
Vince liked liver tabs, and glandulars as well.

If you are not trying to lose bodyfat then just keep your carb intake moderate. By moderate I mean have some toast with your eggs, or enjoy a small veggie side dish with your steak. What I don't mean is inhaling worthless cereals, or other processed starchy foods with every meal. The kind of carbs you ingest doesn't matter...it all becomes a form a glucose (sugar) and will cause an insulin response (usually leading to bodyfat deposits). The exception would be fiberous food products, as your body cannot digest them.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:51 PM   #14
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Here is what I personally consider to be the ten commandments of the bodybuilding diet.

1. Never mix protein fat, and carbohydrates at the same meal. They do not digest in the same medium.

2. Cut out all food and diet drinks containing salt or sodium nitrates. Sodium retains excess water in the tissues and subcutaneous fat.

3. Stay away from or eliminate refined sugar.

4. Do not drink water during workouts or with meals Water is a weight gaining substance

5. Fats are desirable and combined with protein help emulsify bodyfat and provide energy

6. Half and half cream contains almost no carbohydrates and provides much desired bodybuilding nutrition. Throw away skim milk and homogenized milk.

7. Eggs are the best source of inexpensive protein. Use the best - fertile eggs.

8. Carbohydrates mixed with protein turn to fat. Carbohydrates only turn to fat. Start counting grams of carbohydrates. Forget counting calories.

9. Stress or hyperactivity will not allow you to digest food properly, destroying muscle tissue. Eat slowly and put energy into your life.

10. Cigarette smoking will cause restriction of the capillary system you are trying to build, making muscle gains difficult.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:54 PM   #15
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

T NATION | Gironda System

Quote:
Some of his very effective systems are:

8 x 8 System: Similar to 10 x 10 but you perform 8 sets of 8 reps instead of 10 sets of 10 reps, still with minimal rest. This isn't a specialization program though; it's used for the whole body.

6 x 6 System: The same could be said here: perform 6 sets of 6 reps with minimal rest.

10-8-6-15 System: For each exercise you perform 4 sets (still with minimal rest):

First set = 10 reps with 50% of what you'll use for your set of 6 reps

Second set = 8 reps with 75% of what you'll use for your set of 6 reps

Third set = 6 reps with as much weight as you can handle for 6 good reps

Fourth set = 15 reps with 35% of what you used for your set of 6 reps

Again, only one exercise is used per muscle group.

15 x 4 System: Perform 15 sets of 4 reps of one exercise per muscle group with minimal rest.

Important note: In the 10 x 10, 8 x 8, 6 x 6 and 15 x 4 systems, you should use the same weight for all the sets. Hypertrophy will be stimulated via cumulative fatigue and not the load per se. If you can complete all the sets, you increase the load at the next workout.

The rest intervals should also remain the same during the whole exercise. If you decide to rest 30 seconds between your sets, then that's the rest interval you use between all of your sets.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:54 PM   #16
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

More from previous T-Nation article.

Quote:
Four-Exercise Compounds

This is yet another one of Vince's routines which called for the use of a compound set for each muscle group. However, instead of using a compound made up of two exercises, you use a compound made up of four.

Ideally, you select exercises that work different parts of a muscle group. Only one or two compounds is completed per muscle group (so a total of 4-8 sets per muscle group). In his original routine, Gironda recommended only one rotation but performed it twice per day. While this is the best option, those who can't hit the gym twice in one day can use two rotations during the same workout. Here are some examples of possible four-exercise compounds:

Chest

A1. Wide-grip bench press to the neck — 12 reps

15-30 seconds of rest

A2. Gironda-style chest dips — 12 reps

15-30 seconds of rest

A3. Low-incline (30 degrees) dumbbell bench press — 12 reps

15-30 seconds of rest

A4. Half dumbbell flies — 12 reps

Back

A1. Seated rowing to low pec line — 12 reps

15-30 seconds of rest

A2. Rope lat pulldown — 12 reps

15-30 seconds of rest

A3. Chest-supported dumbbell rowing — 12 reps

15-30 seconds of rest

A4. Back hyperextension — 12 reps

Thighs

A1. Front squat — 12 reps

15-30 seconds of rest

A2. Gironda-style leg curl — 12 reps

15-30 seconds of rest

A3. Leg extension — 12 reps

15-30 seconds of rest

A4. Standing 1-leg curl — 12 reps

Shoulders

A1. Wide-grip upright rowing — 12 reps

15-30 seconds of rest

A2. Seated dumbbell shoulder press — 12 reps

15-30 seconds of rest

A3. Seated dumbbell side laterals (dumbbell back end higher than front end) — 12 reps

15-30 seconds of rest

A4. Bentover lateral raise — 12 reps

Arm flexors

A1. Wide-grip/elbows in preacher curl — 12 reps

15-30 seconds of rest

A2. Barbell drag curl — 12 reps

15-30 seconds of rest

A3. Incline dumbbell curl — 12 reps

15-30 seconds of rest

A4. Hammer curl — 12 reps

Triceps

A1. Barbell pullover and press — 12 reps

15-30 seconds of rest

A2. Barbell nosebreaker — 12 reps

15-30 seconds of rest

A3. Decline dumbbell triceps extension — 12 reps

15-30 seconds of rest

A4. Overhead rope triceps extension — 12 reps

Old 10-06-2011, 11:55 PM   #17
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Gironda Meat and Eggs Diet

Quote:
Low Carb Eating

From Atkins right up to the Anabolic Diet and Bodyopus, this type of dieting has hit the bodybuilding mainstream in the past 10 to 15 years. However, few know that it was actually Gironda who popularized this approach to pre-contest dieting.

He called this type of diet his "Maximum Definition Diet." It consisted of eating only fats and protein for three to four days straight, followed by one day where you include onelarge carbohydrate-containing meal and then repeat the cycle.

This diet was so effective that Gironda himself probably lost some contests because he was considered "too ripped" compared to the standards of the time (which favored a smoother, rounder look).

Eventually, his dietary approach to maximum definition became the diet of choice of several champions, from Larry Scott to Arnold to Dave Draper and other stars of the time. Back then it was simply called the "meat and eggs diet."

Old 10-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Vince Gironda Maximum Definition diet

Quote:
There has always been considerable mystery and misconception concerning a definition diet. Let’s hope this article will help to straighten out a few of these.

To begin with, all carbohydrates must be removed from a maximum definition diet. This means – all fruit, all vegetables, all salad greens and all milk products (cheeses, yogurt, ice cream, milk and buttermilk). The only milk products that can be used are butter and cream.

Any kind of meat, fish or fowl and eggs are the only foods permissible. You must, however, eat some carbohydrate every four or five days because you will find that you will smooth out and veins and cuts will disappear. You will find also that you are not getting the pump you should and your strength will decrease. This is because a zero carbohydrate diet drains all the stored glycogen from the liver, and only carbohydrate will replenish it. But don’t try to eat a small amount of carbohydrate each day.

You will only find you are smoothing out.

This high protein diet will tend to make you nervous because of the phosphorus in the meat. That is why I suggest you keep your calcium (tablets) intake high.
Quote:
The way to build muscle tissue and no fat is by taking amino acid and liver tablets every 3 hours (positive nitrogen balance.) Also raw fertile eggs and 2 oz. of half and half (milk and cream). Please do not use the term gaining weight. Instead, say to gain muscle tissue. Train with weights according to my principles. Create an illusion by building superior shape.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:01 AM   #19
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vinnieg.jpg
Views:	2145
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	3475  

Old 10-07-2011, 12:02 AM   #20
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vince_gironda01.jpg
Views:	940
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	3476