Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Appreciation Threads
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Appreciation Threads Lifter Appreciation Threads. Contains resources, pictures, workouts, videos and articles on specific lifters.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #51
IronWarrior
New Brawn

IronWarrior is new to the forumIronWarrior is new to the forum

Thanks for posting this, exactly what I've been looking for. Is the ab work supposed to be done first? I've always understood that I should be doing abs last so they don't get too tired for the squats, etc. Or does doing them first act as a kind of warm-up?
IronWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #52
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWarrior View Post
Thanks for posting this, exactly what I've been looking for. Is the ab work supposed to be done first? I've always understood that I should be doing abs last so they don't get too tired for the squats, etc. Or does doing them first act as a kind of warm-up?
Welcome to the forum. John did advocate ab work first.

I recently started doing squats last in my workout after heavy abs, and was surprised to find I am holding up rather well. Because they are more focused on resistance rather than volume (like endless sets of crunches), they aren't as physically taxing for me.

But, people are different and have different weaknesses. You may find that squats after heavy abs is too difficult, and may need to swap them around. I do not wish to step on John Christy's toes by saying this.

One thing I do believe is that if you start training heavy abs before squats, and continue practicing them in this way, your body will adapt in several weeks. So it might be tough for a few workouts, but over time it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #53
wesrman
Max Brawn

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Chin Ups
wesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributor

Bill Starr advocates abs first too. I always thought it would cause problems with my squats so i never really tried it.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:06 PM   #54
dooj

dooj is off to a bad start
Default Real Strength Real Muscle

Steve, thanks for posting all this valuable information about John and his training philosophy. I will be asking my wife to purchase his book for me for Father's day as I understand from the website it will be only available as a e-book when the current supply is exhausted. I hope it is a hardcover but nevertheless from what I've seen in this thread it should be a great read.

Many people do not realize the gains that can be made from doing a fullbody twice a week as John advocated.
dooj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:38 AM   #55
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooj View Post
Steve, thanks for posting all this valuable information about John and his training philosophy. I will be asking my wife to purchase his book for me for Father's day as I understand from the website it will be only available as a e-book when the current supply is exhausted. I hope it is a hardcover but nevertheless from what I've seen in this thread it should be a great read.

Many people do not realize the gains that can be made from doing a fullbody twice a week as John advocated.
John's book is my favorite lifting book. I keep it by my reading chair and am always flipping through it. It is a testimony to hard work, simplicity, and something that helps me detox from the more is better mentality.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:33 PM   #56
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Old 07-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #57
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

John's Christy's Magic List

Weight train 2 to 3 times per week

1. A no-brainer for real trainees that don't take steroids.

2. Allows for complete recovery, which means you get bigger and stronger from every workout.

3. Joints can recover - no injuries - consistent training - great results.

Train hard but make sure the 'hard training' is put towards progression; lifting more weight

1. Training hard pushes the body to adapt to a new level of development or performance.
2. If that 'new level' is more muscle or more strength then it must be pushed with more weight.

Eat enough to gain muscle

1. It takes a lot of effort to eat enough to gain, which is one main reason, most trainees' fail - they won't work at it.

2. Eat 1000 more calories per day than you eat now and you will gain muscle (as long as the training is stimulating).

3. IT TAKES A LOT OF EFFORT.

Do aerobic work to get in shape, which is good for your health but also promotes recovery from workouts

1. Promotes recovery from weight workouts.

2. Better recovery = bigger and stronger muscles.

3. This can make the difference between gaining 25 pounds on your bench this year or a measly 10 (or a big fat zero - which is what most gain).

Stretch to keep / get your joints healthy so that you don't miss workouts or have to eliminate productive exercises

1. Healthy joints = consistent workouts = bigger, stronger muscles.

2. Healthy joints = ability to perform more productive exercises = bigger, stronger muscles.

Get yourself fired-up to train with goals, pictures, entering contests, etc

1. Promotes putting out maximum effort allowing you to lift heavier weights, which produces bigger, stronger muscles.

I know it's hard to believe that such simple 'non-sexy' methods can produce stunning results. But they do. I've seen it, and helped make it happen in many cases. And as a matter of fact I've never seen a 'sexy' (flashy, secret, underground, new-wave, instant, etc) method produce anything except a fat wallet for the seller of such garbage.

Do all the basics outlined above - not just one or two of them - and people will line-up to buy your magic pill.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #58
glwanabe
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
John's Christy's Magic List
I know it's hard to believe that such simple 'non-sexy' methods can produce stunning results. But they do. I've seen it, and helped make it happen in many cases. And as a matter of fact I've never seen a 'sexy' (flashy, secret, underground, new-wave, instant, etc) method produce anything except a fat wallet for the seller of such garbage.

I love all of it Steve. This type of thinking is my main thought process these days. With so little free time I need only what works, and throw out everything that I can do without. If a move isn't a multitasker or is purely for my ego, OUT!

The quote above really stands out for me.

ECT.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #59
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
This type of thinking is my main thought process these days. With so little free time I need only what works, and throw out everything that I can do without. If a move isn't a multitasker or is purely for my ego, OUT!
Exactly. Power to the people.

Cut the crap, keep the vital.

Forget OCD and micromanagement. Who has time. Let's train the big lifts, pull common sense back into eating, and save some free time for sex and movies and cooking and other things that matter too.

The 1% who compete know what they need to do. Time to bring lifting for recreational lifters back to where it belongs.

Hard work & common sense.

PCF ratios = blech.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #60
glwanabe
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Exactly. Power to the people.

Cut the crap, keep the vital.

Forget OCD and micromanagement. Who has time. Let's train the big lifts, pull common sense back into eating, and save some free time for sex and movies and cooking and other things that matter too.

The 1% who compete know what they need to do. Time to bring lifting for recreational lifters back to where it belongs.

Hard work & common sense.

PCF ratios = blech.

Very few compete, but BB comp style programs are the bulk of what people are doing. That's the real insanity workout right there.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote