Originally Posted by BendtheBar
Is the Smith Machine Bench The Best Replacement for Bench Press?
1. Should he use the Smith Machine for bench presses?
2. Is the Smith Machine the best suitable replacement for bench.
3. Is there a more effective exercise? And Why?[/B]
are the questions to be answered.
Should you use it? Not if you have the ability to perform dumbell bench of barbell bench in place of Smith machine work.
Can you use it. Yes, you can use it, but it is not the same as free weights, and IMO, dumbell bench beats it.
2. Covered already. However you can also include dips as a better alternative to the Smith machine. Given the choice between only doing Smith machine bench style work or perfoming dips, I would choose dips.
3. This has been covered for the most part. I will always choose a free weight movement to a machine movement.