Thread: Too young?
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTO View Post
My gym is at home and lately my 12 y/o daughter has been showing interest in weight training. Do you think that's too young?
My daughters (Age 11 and 6) come down to my gym from time to time and want to workout. I let them try things like sit ups, pull ups, very light curls and dumbbell rows, etc.

I allow them to "play" so to speak. I teach them good form, give them a handful of exercises, and just give them the green light to use those exercises in any way they'd like. I don't try to structure workouts or limit set number. Obviously the weight is too light to matter much.

I don't think it's too early for them to explore, but until they hit puberty, I won't let them push themselves. It's not that I feel it may or may not be dangerous, but more so that at a young age I think the fundamentals are most important.

Kids like to learn how...how to cook an egg, how to do a curl, how to vacuum like mommy. But until they are serious about training every week, and are able to make educated and realistic goals (that may or may not be based on improving performance for another sport), I don't want them to push.

That's my slant on the issue.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote