Old 11-28-2010, 06:42 PM   #9
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
Thanks ehubs, I am sticking with 5/3/1 until the end of January but then I am sure I will have plenty of questions for you. I was just doing research now to make sure that this is the right program for me. I think it will work well.

how long have you been using block periodization?
I used it for about 8 months or so in some form. Right now I have a lot of things going on and have been fighting some injuries so I have just been training by feel and it has gone pretty well. It will work well but there are a lot of things to consider before putting the plan together for your training cycle (gear, no gear, weaknesses, goals, time available to train, etc.). If there is one piece of advice I would give you if you were to follow the template is that I would avoid applying those percentages to your deadlift training. It is way too much stress for your lower back as you progress through the mid to late cycle. Also, if you are someone who loves powerlifting because you get to go into the gym and smash PRs week in and week out then I wouldn't follow that template at all. You would need to change your approach a bit and take some of the concepts and apply them to somewhat of a more max effort style approach.
ehubbard is offline   Reply With Quote