View Single Post
Old 11-28-2010, 06:58 AM   #29
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopDawg View Post
1. Most people probably just see this as a fun challenge.

2. One could also make good gains running a fullbody for 3 months.

3. I only ran one for 1 month an it upped my lifts.
1. I think some people would think, why bother at all with such an old style of programming. My 5 day split works perfectly well.
What most people don't realize is that the modern split is not modern at all. It was around back in the golden age, but was not used as it is today. The split was a specialty routine usually reserved for use just before a competition.

Going back to study the history of bodybuilding and how programming has changed will reveal a lot of information. Somebody is always trying to reinvent the wheel when it comes to barbell sports. Most of the time it is somebody trying to sell you a new and improved product that was never broke in the first place.

2. Could is the key word here.

What people fail to realize is this. A fullbody routine is superior to a split for most people who have not had a steady 3 years of training. There are always exceptions but, for natural lifting, fullbody (bodybuilding) is the way to go. Powerlifting, and Olympic lifting are specialty sports. They will benefit from programs designed specifically for them.

Why is fullbody superior for the first 3 years. It comes to natural limits, and the natural slowdown in gains as you build closer to them. Take two identical people who start lifting, one using fullbody, and one using a Weider type split.
The fullbody lifter will be ahead of the split lifter for a few years. However the fullbody persons gains will slow, and the split person will eventually catch up.

That is only one aspect to consider though. Not everything that is new is bad. There is a lot of good information we have learned over the years about the body and how weight training can be used. The worst thing as I see it, is the notion that it must be complicated. That is pure BS. These super complicated programs are usually being marketed to get you to buy into somebodys way of doing what should be a very simple process. It is about making money off of people.

Weider was succesful in doing this with his programming and selling of his way of doing things. He has been both good, and extremely bad for the sport.

3. This is typical of too many people.

Something worked and yet you stopped doing it, I read this all the time. Golden age training is not easy! It is very hard, it is supposed to be hard. It is as much about total body conditioning as it is the individual movements.

Young lifters today see fullbody as a beginner program. They don't want to be labled a beginner so they abandon the program that will help them mature the fastest to use something that satisfies their ego. They don't want to be seen as using a beginners program.

Splits definately have a place, and can be utilized to great success. I recomend splits for certain aspects of training.

I'll add this as well.

This is my opinion and anybody is free to disagree with it. I formed this opinion after reading a lot of information and talking with some people much smarter than me about this subject.

Some of my favorite people I like to get information from are:

Steve Shaw
Casey Butt

interviews of classic age lifters.

To be continued.

Last edited by glwanabe; 11-28-2010 at 07:42 AM.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote