View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #12
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCT View Post

but why not work up to a heavy weight then drop back down to a 20 rep set widowmaker style...

I've done this as well. There's nothing wrong with it as far as my opinion go's. I was more than anything defending the postulate of the original post.

im not saying bigger weights cause more muscle growth... because that completelly the opposite... if i wanted my legs to grow faster i would def do some 20 rep squats.. rpobally just once a wekk though... probally do something like this

warmup:

135x10
185x10

working sets:

225x20

then guage how i feel afterwards to see how much more weight i can do...

i have actually decided to add in alot of 20 rep exercises for my assc. work...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCT View Post
20 rep squats are more mental than anything for me...

but 4 of my sets that workout were in the 90% range and that shit takes a toll lol
I hear you on the mental aspect of the 20 rep stuff. I like your plan as a way to step up into the higher % work zone. There is also the aspect of the conditioning effect that these higher rep sets have. I think 70% of max is a good place to start to work from, and go from there in most cases.

I really think most people would have to pull back midweek to a lower % of max number so as to be able to work Monday and Friday at 70% or better.

I definately agree that 90% and above is brutal. I don't see a need to work there to often unless your training for that lift as part of a new max attampt. 85% is generally plenty high.

A little lower on the % numbers helps to save the joints for future years down the road. At 48 my body has suddenly decided that it will start to dictate terms to me on what I can do.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote