Thread: strength
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

How strong you can actually become depends on a lot of factors. We are all different in regards to our age, muscle mass, connective tissue, and skeletal makeup. There are some generally accepted guides as to strength levels that a majority us should be able to achieve.

A couple of basic to shoot for.

bench your bodyweight
squat 1.5X bodyweight
deadlift 2X bodyweight

I don't have a lot of time right now to really get into this. This is actually a fairly big subject. However, even when you have reached those basic levels, then it becomes a question of how many reps you should be able to do at those weights.

Dan John, who is a well respected strength coach has some thoughts on this subject. I'll see if I can find his article. Look at the front of this site, as there is a huge library of articles, and you will find some good info there as well.

Don't worry about anybody else's numbers. We all started at the beginning, and we are all at different spots in our training.

Just a final thought for right now. I don't think that the bench press is as important a lift as the overhead press is. I would spend more time with overhead pressing as opposed to benching.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote